Catfalls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catfalls...

Doesn't the loud gulping sound kinda negate the purpose of the catfall potion? I can understand the point of the gulp for other potions, but i think the catfall would be a quiet swallow to further push the silent properties. At least make it silent to everyone except the thief thats using it, similar to the quieter sound of the water arrow
    http://publictut.webhop.net/
    Community Server for ALL to use for
    hosting: Avatars, images, files, maps,
    and more!

Besides the fact that I don't think that catfalls are worth the 30 you pay for them, let's take a closer look at what you do with them.

Negates falling damage: Generally, this is used in emergencies (Flats) or to escape a guard not wanting to be injured for a lost cause (Thief has a head start). Both times, the gulp doesn't really matter, as the thief's immediate location is betrayed anyway, unless hes alone.

Negates footstep sounds: Coupled with an invis, it doesn't matter where a guard hears the gulp; he isn't going to find you there. Otherwise, it lasts 20 seconds. Planning ahead, one could drink the catfall well behind a wall at a distance, and then get into the hotzone with 10 or 15 to spare.

That doesn't mean you're wrong though. We had an idea a while back that breath potions should temporarily disable drinking gulps.

Comment

I was thinking more of the use of taking them right as you hit metal floors and stairs, to sneak past both humans, and especially AI without wasting invisi. And a lot of times, players with amazing speaker systems can hear the slightest crouching walk. a nice silent catfall would allow a safer escape.
      http://publictut.webhop.net/
      Community Server for ALL to use for
      hosting: Avatars, images, files, maps,
      and more!

Comment

As things stand now, I woud prefer the gulp- gives guards a sporting chance, and helps maintain balance. If you have a specific spot you want to silence, Moss arrows do more then remove caltrops (though the timing of use might be different).
        Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
        Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

I think this would give the thieves too much of an advantage... I mean, thieves can already become invisible in the dark.... What more do you want?!
          -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
          - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
          - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
          -YT

Comment

Just a quick question about the invisability potion, is it actually suppose to make you flash visable when you drink it? Is this intended to give the guards a 'sporting chance' like the potion 'gulp' sound? Or is it merely a bug that is yet to be fixed or will never be fixxed.

It is really annoying when you are tagged by an AI just after you drink an invis pot while in full darkness
            .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

The invis thing is a bug, and I'm pretty sure it's already fixed, we just have to wait for 1.5
              It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

I think that Catfalls could be a bit quieter then now because it helps the thieves to escape or to jump down a roof without gettin heard by guards.
                it will be nice if catfalls are so loud like water arrows.
                My english isnt the best!

Comment

If you are in a shadow full darkness and you drink a invi potion, you are for a moment I think min. 50 % visible. Is that right so or a bug too?
                  It's sometimes really anoying!
                  "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
                    The invis thing is a bug, and I'm pretty sure it's already fixed, we just have to wait for 1.5
                    I think it is a feature

Comment

How about a catfall that is silent when drunken, but only last for 5-10 seconds? Call it something else if you want, but it's an idea...
                      Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                      "Dream is Destiny"
                      Waking Life

Comment

When you play with Genious AI, catfalls are a must. Damn bastards can pinpoint your location even when you're crouching or walking (while invisible!). Even Clever AI can sometimes pull this off.

Plus they guarantee an escape, unlike invis potions or flashbombs. Guards can't follow you off of a roof can they? Not unless they have a catfall potion themself, or unless they are suicidal.

Comment

They can always aim for the Mario/suicide, you know, especially if it's the last thief.
                          Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                          "Dream is Destiny"
                          Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Curunir
                            They can always aim for the Mario/suicide, you know, especially if it's the last thief.
                            Heh, that reminds me of a stunt I pulled once. you know nostalgia, where the upper floor has that balcony type thing at the main door?

A guard once caught me sneaking around at the stairs near the main gallery, so I bolted for the balcony, naturally he followed me. I ment to jump over the balcony and land downstairs, but somehow I lagged. the guard who was following me must've anticipated my jump and he jumped down sooner than I did (because I lagged). I got incredibly lucky and landed on his head, knocking him out.

Got me some props from all the spectators.

Comment

Yeah, jumping down the middle of the spiral staircase in TH-Spider to escape as a thief isn't a sure thing, as I demostrated to The_Dan a while ago... :grin:
                              It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Working...
                              X