KO suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KO suggestion

when a guard is KOed, his name might still be on the roster, but in another color. That way, you know he's KOed, and you can go look for him. (helps when you're playing against DMers)

Whaddaya think?
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

It used to be like that, back then it was nearly useless (the thief would be a mile away by the time you got there, and guards didn't wake), and if it were so now, then there'd be little purpose of hiding the guard bodies.

That is, with their map location on the list.

And hold on...you should know that if you started playing 2 days after me :?

Comment

nah.. i played long beforei found out about the forums.

but not on the map list, only on the roster (F1 screen)
      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Are you talking about AI being KOd, or humans? Because really, if you think about it, many KOs on AI are in stealth. Leaving there name and location would take away another "stealth factor" of the game. I like how the names are removed, IMO.
        Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
        "Dream is Destiny"
        Waking Life

Comment

If I understand, what Rad is saying- I agree with him in that it would be nice. I would also agree that the location needs to removed from the map list.

Adding this simply tells you the number of guards KO'ed. As Rad stated, knowing this then lets you know that you can search for them. Another aspect would be if, as a guard, you are killed/KO'ed, and no available lives in the life pool, you can quickly tell if any AI might wake-up, or if they all the guards are simply killed.
          Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
          Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Thebos
              Adding this simply tells you the number of guards KO'ed. As Rad stated, knowing this then lets you know that you can search for them. Another aspect would be if, as a guard, you are killed/KO'ed, and no available lives in the life pool, you can quickly tell if any AI might wake-up, or if they all the guards are simply killed.
              You get a message if an AI is killed anyway (so you know that the rest have only been KO'd); I think it SHOULD be a matter of being aware of events around you rather than "the HUD KNOWS ALL" effect of many games. Guards should only have a rough idea of when the wakeups will occur.

It could be useful if the names of human guards are greyed out when they are killed/KO'd and waiting for a new AI life, so their teammates know to look for frob wakes AND the thieves know how many guards are really active.
              Nightmaster,
              .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
              - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

I suppose, but when it's guards like me, you don't have time to watch the message screen: you're constantly fending off teefies.

i do agree that humans waiting/spawning should be grayed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Shug
                  I think it SHOULD be a matter of being aware of events around you rather than "the HUD KNOWS ALL" effect of many games.
                  [...]
                  It could be useful if the names of human guards are greyed out when they are killed/KO'd and waiting for a new AI life, so their teammates know to look for frob wakes AND the thieves know how many guards are really active.
                  The guys on the guard team can teamsay this and with the part for the thieves
                  I point you to your own statement a few sentences before that's also quoted.
                  A little bit inconsistent, eh?

Oh yeah of course: Guards should only have a rough idea while thieves get the omniscient HUD. :roll:
                  AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
                  Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
                  Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

Looks like the RLF is still alive and well!

But seriously, how is that inconsistent? The greying out of guard names would help the guards just as much as the thieves. Guards are ALREADY greyed out before they spawn when the map starts, it's hardly a new feature.

How can you argue only thieves would have an "omniscient" HUD when my suggestion is that it would be shared by both teams? Put your little roll-eyes cuteness away.
                    Nightmaster,

Comment

I usually take care of this situation by putting knocked out guards in dangerous places so when they wake up or if someone tries to retrieve it, they gotta pay for it, fireplaces, pits with spinning propellors, spider pits etc.....It usually solves the problem about having to worry them waking up, y'know?
                      "He said he didn't trust me, so I killed him."--Hidden_Wolfe

Comment

I htink you're missing the point: theo nly thing that can be seen of a KO'd guard would be the grayed-out name on the F1 screen. not even a location footer afterward. No omnicient HUD, just a little name unde the active ones.

Jeez. :roll:

Comment

Rad, I for myself got what you meant right and the rolling eyes still stand at you Shug. It would only help the thieves (and that vastly by letting them see how much guards are conscious by a quick stroke of F1 -> Therefore they get the omniscient (exaggerated!) HUD you talked about).
                          So tell me how would this help the guards? They can teamchat to find out who's conscious and who's not.. so they don't get any information through this they wouldn't be able to gather otherwise.
                          If you were talking AIs only! that would be a wholy other bag then of course.
                          But I'd still prefer to not have that shown either because as you said you get death messages anyway..
                          But since that's not the case :roll: at ya BIG TIME!
                          AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
                          Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
                          Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

I'd agree with a log on the hud of guards KILLED, i.e "Sir Tristram - R.I.P" because those messages are broadcasted, but the KO'd guards shouldn't even dissappear from the HUD... they should stay there for a random number of seconds (even AFTER being KO'd by a theif) then they should dissappear.. the HUD, as shug said gives away too much information as it is.

If it were up to me there'd be no hud! no compass! no map! and you'd have to tell the round time remaining by the position of the sun and moon
                            ~TuF~

Comment

Beo, many guards don't tell their mates that they've been KO'd, but rather sit around waiting for AIs to wake up. Introducing the greyed-out-humans-that-have-been-KO'd would actually be a larger benefit to the guards, as they could tell at the touch of a button who's alive and who isn't without having to remember who was KO'd at what point; whereas thieves ALREADY know who is and who isn't alive because they get the KO message. It's actually a larger increment of advantage for a guarding force.

Sure thieves can tell too... but it doesn't make it OH MY GOD HUGE ADVANTAGE because it's still tit-for-tat, there's no imbalance there. Both teams are getting the same feature. It's up to each team as to how they use the knowledge available.
                              Nightmaster,

Comment

Working...
                              X