Map TH-Cult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map TH-Cult

I played the map Cult and it was very laggy.
    Is it the map that is laggy, or is my pc too bad?
    I have a AthlonXP1800, a readeon9700(tuned radeon9500Pro), 512DDR-Ram and my OS is Win2k!!
    Plz help me!!
    My english isnt the best!

On my PC its laggy too, I think the map is very big and many AIs are in it!
    GRRR can you make it a bit smaller? :roll:
    "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Uh oh ^.^

I must confess best performance wasnt my goal when making this map ops: . But its strange that it lags on a system as yours - those specs should be enough to grant smooth frames for most areas (exept maybe the roof ).

As for making it smaller, without the big city area it indeed runs better but i just cant come up with any good alternative for that anymore. Maybe building just some Houses around it and letting the Thieves spawn on the Roofes would do it, but id really have to force myself to get back to mapping (on that map) and that wouldnt lead to anything good i fear. If anyone feels called to try to modify the map, go ahead and PM me, but i myself wont change anything anymore ^^ .

Btw the few ppl which played it online on my temporary server didnt seem to have much problems
      My leet Thievery Map
      My leet UT3 Map
      My leet AS Map

Comment

Hmm its lkags when im walking around a corner
        I think u needent the City theres no loot and also theres no fun.
        Its a great map and it doesent make a difference in the gameplay if the city would be deleted.

Comment

Yeah Nanaki is right! The city maybe makes the ambiente but I think the lag is to much! The idea with only a few houses and let the thieves spawn there is much better. Then you can make the exit at the .... (an dem groŁƒen Tor ^.^)!!!

"Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Ok, ok you won. Ill see what i can do. Dont expect to much though, im gonna recycle some parts :wink:

to be honest, i was never quite satisfied with the city area too, seemed a bit too sterile
            My leet Thievery Map
            My leet UT3 Map
            My leet AS Map

Comment

Originally posted by Schleicher
              to be honest, i was never quite satisfied with the city area too, seemed a bit too sterile
              hehe yeah I think so!
              Ok if you need a tester I'm always there for you! ^.^

Comment

*sigh*

All those attempts turned out to be totally crap. Been thinking about this quite a while (even before this Thread), but the map simply "refuses" being changed anymore.Its done and doesnt give me inspiration anymore. Sounds crazy, but thats how it is. Sorry to the people which have poor frames on it, i seriously tried...

Hm but i bet, at the lastest when Thief III comes out everybody will have a PC on which the map can be played with no problems 8)
                My leet Thievery Map
                My leet UT3 Map
                My leet AS Map

Comment

:| :cry:
                  ok its your map and your desicion!

Comment

The map is really great for a coop map. But IMO i think the entire outer city area is really unnecessary, and this city seems to slow down my fps the most. I know its there for the feel and realism of the kingdom, but perhaps just cutting the back and sides of the city off at the wall is sufficient for this application, especially since there is nothing in the town itself.

Comment

hmm.. maybe cutting the map short where the end of the fountain park is on one side, and the river on theother would help keep up FPS. most of the entries are there anyway.
                      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

i think that it is better to have more frames as a beautiful map...
                        fps are good for the gameplay

Comment

Sheer breathtaking beauty is necessary for optimal gaming expreience. FPs is nice, but only mandittory if it drops below 30 (movie quality). Besides: it's an easier fix than Architecture is (just buy a better Vid card).
                          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                            Besides: it's an easier fix than Architecture is (just buy a better Vid card).
                            Your gfx card is of a rather low factor for determing FPS in UT/TUT, as long as it's above a certain level... Sheer cpu power is the main factor. Especially in TUT since it has alot more going then UT. I average at around 40-50fps in TUT... Ut it would be above 100 if i didn't use vsync. And i even get around the same fps in UT2k3 with every single setting set to high...

Now, cult here reminds me of an earty version of Payback... Very very low fps, and lotsa Ai's and brushes.

Your map got 2600+ bsp brushes... Now, that could be playable if you weren't able to view 1/3 of them at the same time. Just standing at the streets i was able to get a node count of 800+... I think around 200 is recommended in single scene, so go read this: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Node_Count and try making some of all those brushes semisolids as it says.
                            Also in total your map got 51825 nodes... That's alot....

Oh yeah, looking at the map, you could do alot more zoning in it! ALOT!
                            The streets are one big zone, cmon split it up! make it 4 or 8 zones

Comment

Advice taken, i went back to UED once more and started doing some more zoning to smoothe the worst lagging areas. Already splitted the city into 6 pieces and started in the hall. That'll take a bit though, coz the map is very sensible when it comes to adding new zoneportals and so i have to clean up after new HOM's or dissapearing brushes much (the dreaded Warpzone HOM has spared me till now though ). When im done ill upload the "Version 1.01" to the community server so that its available fast for people which wanna try it. Ill drop a note too.

Btw if ya found some other bugs report them please (exept for the floating oar in the attic...already found that ^^).
                              My leet Thievery Map
                              My leet UT3 Map
                              My leet AS Map

Comment

Working...
                              X