X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vine Arrow length-seen and actual

The vine arrow seems to have two lengths:

1) The length that you see (Visible).
    2) The lenght that you can climb (tangible).

The visible length seems to be potentially infinite length, stopping only when it hits a solid. The tangible length goes until it either hits a solid (like the visble length) or until it reaches a set maximum length.

End result: It is possible to shoot an arrow, then climb down only to suddenly drop before you reach the end, falling to your doom.

This situation occurs on my map (to be unleashed onto the unsuspecting world someday) only I believe, hence it never has come up. Despite that little fact, I ask anyway:

Any possibility of fixing this in the next release by limiting the visible length to the same value as the tangible?
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

I've seen this bug before on several maps -- I think I even reported it.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

This happens on my map that never made it; i thought it would be cool to be able to use a vine to go up/down extreme (2048+ UUs) lengths, but Thebos said what I would have said... you can see more rope than you can climb. Very annoying. Actually, I think I've had this problem with the climbable part of the rope not being long enough on an official map... VERY annoying. (especially since you can't get back up if you go down for something, then try getting back up... and you can't

Comment

this happens often on my map that i never got around to releasing the finished version.

except that the segments repeat so many times, theat the smoke effect crashes the UT engine when you pull it out!

yeah.. make the collision area larger, of make the rope length shorter. One or the other, it needs to be fixed.

Oh, it also hapens on DE (rarely) and DP's map.

Thath reminds me: can you make the ladders work while you're in the water? it seems you can't start climbing when you're on the surface: you have to get out of the water, then back on the rope.
        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

I think the max length of the rope is set to... 2048uu...
          But it should be easy to change it for the next patch...
          But really... There must be a limited amount of rope dont you think?...

Comment

Agree that the length should be limited. The bug in question though is it may look like you have enough length, but in fact you do not.

This has been observed by a few people. I came to learn about it on a map I am making. Was climbing down the vine (which seemd to reach far enough) when suddenly I dropped to my death! :shock: I belive at least on other faced a similar fate on that map.
            Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
            Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Yeah, I've come across this one - tried to make a route on th-airship where you can vine out into the bag, but kept falling to my death. Eventually realised it wasn't my ineptitude but a bug (sorta) in the vine themselves.
              Dalai mentioned fixing it for 1.5.
              Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
              :: Howard Scott

Comment

Working...
              X