Invisible Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invisible Guards

Why can't guards use invisiblity potions? OK, I understand it prob wasn't coded into the game, but they can pick them up, why can't they drink them? I can take a thief's speed and healing potions, and they work fine...but catfall and inviso's aren't any good?

Not really asking to get anything changed, I just wanna know if there is a good reason for this. Also, as a guard, I would like to be able to sneak up on a taffer once in a while too.

Food (or a drink) for thought.

Kiech
    Kiech

Guards can also BUY speed potions, so naturally they can use them. They can actually also use catfalls, too. But allowing guards to use invis potions brings up too many game balance issues.

Comment

Personally, I think guards should be able to at least drink the potions, although I'm not sure how they should affect them.

I fail to see what is so unbalanced about giving guards 10sec invisibility, since its the thieves fault for dropping the potion, & 10secs is hardly long enough for guards to throw the game into chaos.

Currently, I have to keep going out of my way to hide invis potions I find as a guard, otherwise I'm gonna be leaving them as presents for whoever kills me :x

Comment

I threw some of the potions I found into fires hoping they wouldn't be seen. Didn't know I could use catfalls though. Should be fun!
        Kiech

Comment

Dropping invis potions off the cliff in Spiders is good, too (beware crack arrows), or other inaccessible places or killzones. Currently, dropping them into the supply chest works pretty well, but it won't in 1.3 - :grin: Grank found a wonderful couple of places in Breakout where they're completely irretrievable, but I think I'll just keep that as a CTG secret.

Comment

There are loadsa places to hide 'em, you just need to be sure that a thief isn't going to stumble on that place.

ie. vases, under chairs, buckets, toilets, etc

Comment

The latrines holes are also usefull for dropping invis in , only problem being the "splash" sound when they're not empty.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
                There are loadsa places to hide 'em, you just need to be sure that a thief isn't going to stumble on that place.

*Makes note to stick head in all these places next time I play*
                ~TuF~

Comment

I think they should be able to drink them to get rid of them, but then they get a cracked effect for it.
                  (AKA Dresden)
                  Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Good idea, Neo!
                    JM

Comment

I say no to Neo's idea. I rather like the extra problem of what to do with potions. Gives guards something to do when they're bored, it's an added liability if they have them on their person -- more incentive not to get knocked out, and it's a little bonus for thieves who knock out a guard that has one.

Having invisible potions that guards cannot drink adds another layer to the game.
                      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

I don't tend to have a use for food or catfalls when guarding so I melt 'em. Invises are a bit more of a problemo. That and not carrying too many health potions so I don't lose 'em.
                        BobTheDog says, "Now you've gone too far!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                          Originally posted by The_Dan

*Makes note to stick head in all these places next time I play*
                          You'll never find 'em, I can be pretty ingenius at times

Did you know that you can drop potions into/through certain solid actors?

I hide them inside barrels/stools/chairs & other objects that can't be moved out of the way to check.

A nice little engine exploit of mine :wink:

Comment

You mean like the bedtable in the bourgois (how the hell do you really spell that? :p ), the hotel, close to the back door? Or really into solids?

Comment

Also , I find it pretty sadistic to drop invis on a well lit area when you know thieves are here... "oooh what a nice temptating invis ! Come here meet my parabolts taffer !"

Comment

Working...
                              X