X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scirmast
    replied
    Yenzarills idea is great. I made some improvements:

Thief can buy the fake potion from the potions list normally. When he does so, he must also choose which potion this fake will look like (in other words, what colour will it be). It may look like any other potion the thievs have access to. When he has chosen the colour, it is transformed to a potion that matches with that colour. Now one of his potions is booby trapped (Mwahah!). When the thief is killed, the actual fake potion is randomized (if he has 1 or more of the same looking potions as the fake!). Now when guard picks the potions, the fake will be transferred into his item list with the rest as normal. When he uses a potion matching the same color, there is a change that he has drank the fake, as like Yenzarill explained, and he gets cracked. This is quite simple when you think of it. You could also make a voice for a guard that has just drunk a fake potion, so that others know what has happened. The guard could say "What the hell is this wash", or something else.

Yes, there is a change that the thief drinks a wrong potion himself. However, we assume that he remembers what potion is the fake, and so will use the real ones first. So, if you have 3 healing potions, one of which is fake, you can use 2 with no problems. Just don't drink the third. When thrown away these potions while you are a thief, the same thing applies. You will first throw out the real ones and the fake comes last. So the placing of the fake bottle takes some time. I think it's fair. If you throw the bottles away as a guard, there is the same changes as when you drink them as a guard. The only downside of the fake potion is that it requires team work (one thief telling the others where he has put the fake one). But Thievery is at best when you play as a team, so i think that this is quite good addition. What do you say?

It's of course up to you to adjust it. I don't know about the prize, but I think it's enouch if a thief can have up to one.

---

Also, there is very little uses for the breathing potion. What if Guards could use them to get rid of the crack effect quicker? When the potion is used, the effect lasts half the time it usually does.

Leave a comment:

• Chainsaws
    replied
    What about giving the guards a 10% chance of identifying the potion as a fake and letting them change it's colour to something like..hmm...purple? :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• Yenzarill
    replied
    No, it would be built into the health potion class.

You have 5 potions and 1 fake:
    1/6 random chance of getting the bad one.

You have 2 potions, and 1 fake:
    1/3 random chance of getting the bad one.

So, every time you drink a potion, you have

<fakes> / (<real> + <fakes&gt

chance of getting a fake. Same calculation for when you drop a potion.

So, EVERY time you drink a potion it would calculate this, but it would normally be 0 chance. I like the idea of being able to change the colour of it. Speed or catfall would be the best to fake.

Leave a comment:

• Stakhanov
    replied
    Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
    Hmm...maybe like this?

Potion is called "Health Potion " instead of "Health Potion" - or something that is not obvious at first glance. Let it go into your inventory as a seprate item. This gives the guards a way to find out if they have poison, but they will have to check for it, and compare to their other potions.
    That's what I meant , but remember the thieves should have "fake potion" displayed instead of that.

Set a trigger that when a health potion is used, it checks to see if there is any poison, if there is, the guard drinks that instead. Or maybe a trigger to change the keymaps while the player has the poison.

It's the second part I am worried about. But I would allow thieves to be vulnerable to the poison as well.
    Somehow the item would have to be called by the same name as the potion model , that's the most difficult (if not impossible) to code. btw thieves shouldn't drink theses potions (unless it's Thiefmatch) , perhaps add a red layer over the potion texture in the thief's view (like teammates) so they always see it's a fake one.

Leave a comment:

• Kiech Bepho
    replied
    Hmm...maybe like this?

Potion is called "Health Potion " instead of "Health Potion" - or something that is not obvious at first glance. Let it go into your inventory as a seprate item. This gives the guards a way to find out if they have poison, but they will have to check for it, and compare to their other potions.

Set a trigger that when a health potion is used, it checks to see if there is any poison, if there is, the guard drinks that instead. Or maybe a trigger to change the keymaps while the player has the poison.

It's the second part I am worried about. But I would allow thieves to be vulnerable to the poison as well.

Kiech

Leave a comment:

• LaughingRat
    replied
    I should also point out that this new class of inventory item would have to be able to be activated under the class it's meant to emulate. If I hit the key I have bound to "health potion", for this item to be effective, it would have to be able to be able to be activated under the helath potion class.

Leave a comment:

• Stakhanov
    replied
    That's quite a big issue indeed. Is it possible to make it a distinct inventory item , but with the same name ? (guards would hardly notice they have 2 different potions when scrolling inventory)
    The main problem is that the fake potion should either change into an other potion type (that would make 6 new thievery objects) or change skin and name to ennemies (don't know if it is possible to code)

Leave a comment:

• LaughingRat
    replied
    How would the inventory system handle such a potion? If it were a health potion and the guard had several, how would it determine which was drunk? Would it show as an addition to the existing potions of that kind, or would you come across two inventory entries for health potions (as sometimes happens with cheese, now), one for the real one, one for the fake? If so, that would kind of be a giveaway to that guard that they have a fake potion, no?

I think coding for something like this would be very difficult. You're asking for an inventory item that, for thieves, remains a distinct item, while for guards, combines with another class of inventory item.

Leave a comment:

• Stakhanov
    replied
    Originally posted by Yenzarill
    How about thieves have fake healing potions, that, when drank by a guard make them cracked. Thieves can tell the difference. Purely something that thieves can carry and drop so guards might pick it up... :twisted:

Come to think of it that is a pretty stupid idea :lol:
    why ? it would be terribly effective. Just drop them at guard corpses to make it believable... then the guard would just take it and use it afterwards , that is , when he needs it. That is , when a thief or a spider hurt him... the cracked effect will make him even more vulnerable. Guards may give potions each other so it would be completely unpredictable. And if any thief is at the right place at the right time... sweet dreams guard.

What if the fake potion could be frobbed to change its color ? (to make it green on TH-flat rooves ) The guards may be fooled even more often.

This item would own in Thiefmatch where potions are dropped all the time.

60 banked loot for the fake [color changing] potion.

Leave a comment:

• Yenzarill
    replied
    How about thieves have fake healing potions, that, when drank by a guard make them cracked. Thieves can tell the difference. Purely something that thieves can carry and drop so guards might pick it up... :twisted:

Come to think of it that is a pretty stupid idea :lol:

Leave a comment:

• SeEManN
    replied
    Originally posted by LegalAssassin
    The best thing (as a Thief) is to put a Healing Potion in front a big fireplace, like the one on Gerome, and whe the guard comes to pick it up, you crack him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sadistic?
    Useful!

Leave a comment:

• LegalAssassin
    replied
    The best thing (as a Thief) is to put a Healing Potion in front a big fireplace, like the one on Gerome, and whe the guard comes to pick it up, you crack him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sadistic?

Leave a comment:

• Stakhanov
    replied
    Also , I find it pretty sadistic to drop invis on a well lit area when you know thieves are here... "oooh what a nice temptating invis ! Come here meet my parabolts taffer !"

Leave a comment:

• LegalAssassin
    replied
    You mean like the bedtable in the bourgois (how the hell do you really spell that? :p ), the hotel, close to the back door? Or really into solids?

Leave a comment:

• The_Dan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMachine
    Originally posted by The_Dan
    There are loadsa places to hide 'em, you just need to be sure that a thief isn't going to stumble on that place.

ie. vases, under chairs, buckets, toilets, etc
    *Makes note to stick head in all these places next time I play*
    You'll never find 'em, I can be pretty ingenius at times

Did you know that you can drop potions into/through certain solid actors?

I hide them inside barrels/stools/chairs & other objects that can't be moved out of the way to check.

A nice little engine exploit of mine :wink:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X