New Suggestion: "Anti-Camping Mode"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Suggestion: "Anti-Camping Mode"

I humbly suggest a new mode that can be enabled or disabled by the game server.

If "Anti-Camping Mode" is off, the game is normal.
    If "Anti-Camping Mode" is on, then all non-loot objectives are ignored and all guards get lanterns.

(Lanterns: functionally, a flare-effect that does not run out in time, can be put out by water, and still must be dropped to draw a weapon; one exists per guard in default inventory, guard tools gain implicit "flint and steel" to relight lanterns. This should be fairly easy to impliment.)

The gameplay changes are obvious: thieves can't camp in shadows as safely, and guards needn't camp at objective items. Further gameplay changes can be integrated by adjusting the percentage loot that "returns" when killing a thief with loot.

If the ease of victory becomes too unbalanced, we can say "Who cares? Its just a mode to play now and then." If some maps still encourage guard camping at certain loot, we can say, "Oh well. It's just a mode to play now and then." Etc.

I don't think it would necessarily discourage camping, the guards would just get portable lights to brighten up the objective area. There is no way to enforce no-camping, so as a server setting I would have to say no. As a purchaseable item...maybe. How much is an ever-burning flare worth to you? But definatley not for free.

I also have the same idea for my now-in-progress mission. I would like to put in a couple of moveable lanterns that guards could pick up, and carry around particularly dark places.

Kiech
    Kiech

Comment

Kiech, Carpe said objectives like a ruby are ignored in the requirements for thieves. No need for guards to camp them, then. However, some loot locations will be camped.

With that said, here's my input:

Laterns would give away locations of guards lying in wait. I'm striving to become a better Ghoster Guard.
      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
        Kiech, Carpe said objectives like a ruby are ignored in the requirements for thieves. No need for guards to camp them, then. However, some loot locations will be camped.

Laterns would give away locations of guards lying in wait. I'm striving to become a better Ghoster Guard.
        So the objective becomes the loot. Typically there are areas with more loot than others. It's still camping the objective.

Still, hey, if there is anyone out there that wants to setup a server with this option, and you have the means to do it, then you should do it.
        Kiech

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
          Originally posted by Buho

So the objective becomes the loot. Typically there are areas with more loot than others. It's still camping the objective.

Still, hey, if there is anyone out there that wants to setup a server with this option, and you have the means to do it, then you should do it.

Remember that the map total loot greatly exceeds the required loot ammount. Almost no closed area can have enough loot to win the game ; the Nostalgia Lyre and the Bourgeois Scepter are just "strategic" loot items that aren't requirements as you can still steal stuff from the galery and other various places in Nostalgia , or search for the Lost Loot in Bourgeois
          Objectives rooms always have at least 2 entrances : if thieves can also win by an other way , then camping isn't remotely usefull.
          However , the mutator wouldn't work well on maps like Breakout where the camping places are mostly exits (no item to protect , just the passage)

Comment

Pffff... As long as *I*'m around camping will go on. I'll camp loot, entrances, areas, paths etc etc. You can't escape my grasp.
            I Need Training!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Judge
              Pffff... As long as *I*'m around camping will go on. I'll camp loot, entrances, areas, paths etc etc. You can't escape my grasp.
              Unless you do something drastic, like go to an area not camped by you...

Comment

Working...
              X