Proposal: Map specific costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal: Map specific costs

Map designers should consider tweaking the costs of items for their map, partly to assist in balance and partly to add more flavour to an individual map. Firebolts might be more expensive in one map say, or all potions might be cheaper in another, or vice versa. I'm not sure if this can be done in current Thievery version, but I think it would be a good idea in a future version coupled with map specific loadouts. This will only work if we can have map-specific loadouts, otherwise loadouts will clearly be fine for one map then only buy part of the equipment they should on the next.

For example, on aquatone you might have mines and caltrops being cheaper since you're well supplied by your employer, but firebolts would have to be smuggled in (you're in an enclosed box underwater and your employer doesn't look on them kindly) and so very expensive.
    {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
    Contact details updated
    I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

It might also be good to disable certain items on some maps (I think this has been brought up before...).

Added this to the Suggestions Summary Page.
    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -
    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Tweaking costs by map, while a good idea, is going to wreak havoc with most people's loadouts. Now, if map specific loadout slots are in place....

Comment

I don't agree. The costs have been set to what they are for a reason.
        Kiech

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
          I don't agree. The costs have been set to what they are for a reason.
          And people weren't given wings for a reason? No offense, but I mean... really! I'm not suggesting changing all the costs on all the maps just for the fun of it. I'm suggesting some map designers may want to do this on some maps to add some character to, or correct the game balance on, a particular map.

And LR, you'll notice above that I was pretty emphatic that this had to be coupled with map-specific loadouts

Which btw Chain, if they aren't on the list (I haven't checked it yet), please add!
          {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
          Contact details updated

Comment

I don't like the idea of 'changing costs' for items in general, because it would bring up too many balance issues for each and every map.

I will say that is probably MUCH easier to do than this plan:

Give each thief 'bare bones' equipment that is needed to complete the level.
            Offer only certain items and ammounts of those items to each player.

But this is Thievery, not Thief. Maybe the changing costs idea will work, but not easy to learn a balance.

Kiech
            Kiech

Comment

Thats sounds interesting... how ever MAP SPECIFIC load out slots would be great., With MAP SPECIFIC load outs we could be more creative with the gear we buy for each map and increase the enjoyment of the game vastly. So I think we should get MAP SPECIFIC load outs, plus your idea would be great too ent

P.S. If this doesn't catch someones atteention then I don't know what will :wink:
              "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
              -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

Perhaps a better way to impliment Entropy's idea would not be map-specific costs, but map-specific effects.

That is, allow the map design to alter how items behave.

For example, in Aquatone you could say (a) the Thieves' employer has provided them with vine arrows that work with metal ceilings, and (b) the Guards' employer has provided augmented whistlers that shoot a fire bolt straight up each time they whistle.

Or in Flats you could say the Guards, as police, get super tag bolts that fire three-fold with slight spread, and the Thieves, knowing it will be outside work, have brighter than usual flashbombs.

Whatever. The point is not my specific suggestions, but that maps could have more "local flavor" as Entropy suggests without changing item costs.

Comment

I agree, I like the idea of map-specific items.

Also, as mentioned above, MAP-SPECIFIC LOADOUTS MIGHT BE A NICE IDEA.

Gotta keep these subtle hints going
                  {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                  Contact details updated

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy
                    Which btw Chain, if they aren't on the list (I haven't checked it yet), please add!
                    Added.
                    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                    -
                    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

map-specific-loadouts eh? Could be useful, but whats the harm in just doing your loadout manually? It only takes a few seconds.

I tend to very my loadouts depending what mood I'm in anyway, I definatly don't buy the same stuff each map. It also depends on who else is on my team and what they play like.

Comment

Originally posted by Yenzarill
                        map-specific-loadouts eh? Could be useful, but whats the harm in just doing your loadout manually? It only takes a few seconds.

I tend to very my loadouts depending what mood I'm in anyway, I definatly don't buy the same stuff each map. It also depends on who else is on my team and what they play like.
                        Yenz if you're not aware of how it can make a difference, do some spectating, say on Grank, CrouchingDork, and prob a number of players from outside CTG. It can make a *big* difference, especially on certain maps.
                        {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                        Contact details updated

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy
                          Yenz if you're not aware of how it can make a difference, do some spectating, say on Grank, CrouchingDork, and prob a number of players from outside CTG. It can make a *big* difference, especially on certain maps.
                          Ent, you gotta remember Yenz isn't likely to be rushing any objectives to get them before guards start camping them. He's probably going to be KO'ing AI, and they'll still be there if it takes him an extra 15 seconds to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                            Ent, you gotta remember Yenz isn't likely to be rushing any objectives to get them before guards start camping them. He's probably going to be KO'ing AI, and they'll still be there if it takes him an extra 15 seconds to buy.
                            *SMACK* Well duh and double duh, good point LR! Still, consider that sometimes those pesky human guards will use that time to get the AI under cover!
                            {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                            Contact details updated

Comment

Working...
                            X