How do you activate a whistler??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you activate a whistler??

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb or in the wrong forum. But I've searched the site and the forum for the answer to this, couldn't find it, and this isn't a "bug report", but I couldn't find any other forum titled more appropriately.

We plan on a LAN at home, so we haven't had the opportunity to learn these things off the people online.

Basically, as Guards, we buy a Whistler, drop it in the game, and nothing happens. The target says "Deactivated Whistler". Right clicking on it just picks it up again.

So how do you activate it? I tried using the "repair kit" on it, cause I read that is what you do to repair a broken whistler, but still nothing happened.

Dropping items is different from placing them. Try selecting the whistler in your inventory then using it (default right mouse button). This should throw the activated whistler out onto the ground.
    You can check out anytime you like, but you can NEVER leave.

Comment

Actually, the "Deactivated Whistler" message refers to when it isn't currently sounding an alarm. It is working from the moment you place it. If a thief moves near it, it will sound an alarm.
      Immortius' Forge

Comment

Sneaky1Kenobi probably has your answer, and immortius, though he means well, is wrong(unless something's changed in a release that's not been made public yet).

Whenever you place a whister it has an activation delay, which is why it's a "Deactivated Whistler" for a few seconds but should be activated after a few seconds, it should read "Whistler" if it's active.
        Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

As far as I'm aware "dropping" a whistler is no different from placing it. There is a difference for mines. I've never seen a whistler (that hadn't been watered) I could walk up to without setting it off.

But there IS a delay between when you drop a whistler and when it is activated. Just like mines.
          Nightmaster,
          .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
          - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Originally posted by Shug
            As far as I'm aware "dropping" a whistler is no different from placing it. There is a difference for mines. I've never seen a whistler (that hadn't been watered) I could walk up to without setting it off.
            That's because those types of whistlers are all locked up in storage rooms on Darkened Enlightenment.

There are two types of whistlers: Those derived of ThieveryObject, and those derived of ThieveryPickup. The former acts like a normal whistler, the latter only becomes one once it is used.
            ]V[]V[

Comment

Well, the point is that once you place it, it is ready (ignoring any activation delays). You don't need to do anything else to it.
              Immortius' Forge

Comment

Maybe someone shot a water arrow at it?

Anyway, whistlers are proximity devices. They only go off when a thief is nearby.

Comment

Cool - thanks guys. I guess, when I drop it, and see the "Deactivated Whistler" message, it was confusing me.

But some of those posts confused me about mines - wether I drop it or throw it, it should still be ready to explode when a Thief approaches, right? Or MUST I throw it?

I found that I couldn't pick up mines once I dropped them. Except this one time I could. Maybe that was when I 'dropped' it instead of 'threw' it?

BTW, my 'drop' key is ALT, and my 'throw/activate' key is Right Mouse Button. So if someone could put my mind at ease as to wether either of these buttons makes a difference to placing mines or Whistlers, that would be great. Kind of hard to test them in game, when winning the game is at stake, and there is no way to add bot Thieves

Comment

You can summon whistlers and mines in single player.

Start as a thief, open the console, and use the loaded cheat and your inventory will be full.
                    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I know for sure that with mines, "using" them will stick them to the spot (moveable only by using lockpicks) and they will be armed and ready to explode after a short period of time. If you drop a mine, they will not arm (although I never tested that so it's just an educated guess) and they are able to be picked up by frobbing without the use of lockpicks.
                      Nightmaster,
                      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                      - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Thanks again guys. I never knew about the cheat thing.

But if Shug is right, 'throw/use' activates them, 'drop' just drops them. Makes sense

Comment

You can pick up 'active' mines if you have lockpicks. Its quite fun to do.
                          Kiech

Comment

Working...
                          X