Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Guard AI Command: Assume my position

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Guard AI Command: Assume my position

    Ok ok, get the funny jokes and innuendo over with, then consider this. This command would effectively set an AI guard to 'Guard here', but set to exactly your current position and facing not his, just as he would be if you had positioned him where you are, set him to 'Guard here', and then pushed him away. So then you move, and he moves back into your position, just as he would in the previous example.

    More accurate placing of guards, no more out-of-character and tiresome shoving of AI guards to get them into the spot you want. Not a thief-crushing change either. Should be easy to implement too. Whatcha think?
    {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
    Contact details updated
    I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

  • #2
    While I think this is a good idea, I'd prefer other improvements to AI:

    1. be able to actually follow you through all the doorways.

    2. A "stay right here NO MATTER WHAT" command - nothing is more annoying than placing an AI only to have them move into a vulnerable position because they hear a thief.

    I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I think this command you suggest, while useful, isn't the most useful thing they could add to the AI.

    Comment


    • #3
      I like the "assume my position" idea.

      I also like the idea of making them STAY there, not to the extent they'll just be glued to the spot, but they won't search for a thief, but they will chase one.

      Comment


      • #4
        Two things for AI:
        1) THEY SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO OPEN LOCKED DOORS.

        2) When told to guard a spot, they SHOULD NOT MOVE under any circumstances. I don't care if the AI has a divine revelation, if it sees the entire thief team waltzing by overhead, I do NOT want that taffer to move his ass.
        Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DarkBill
          When told to guard a spot, they SHOULD NOT MOVE under any circumstances. I don't care if the AI has a divine revelation, if it sees the entire thief team waltzing by overhead, I do NOT want that taffer to move his ass.
          If that's implemented then many guards (particulary RLFs) will find themselves jobless soon.

          Comment


          • #6
            Good idea, Ent. Wish I'd thought of it. I'd love to see that one.

            Originally posted by DarkBill
            2) When told to guard a spot, they SHOULD NOT MOVE under any circumstances. I don't care if the AI has a divine revelation, if it sees the entire thief team waltzing by overhead, I do NOT want that taffer to move his ass.
            Two words: Sniper's Paradise

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LaughingRat
              Two words: Sniper's Paradise
              Depends how you place them. I'm just sick of spending five minutes getting an AI into a perfect spot (where often it can't be sniped), just to have the taffer dash away when a rat scurries by and then get KOed by a wandering blackjack whore.

              Certainly poorly placed AI will be owned -- this isn't new.
              Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DarkBill
                Depends how you place them. I'm just sick of spending five minutes getting an AI into a perfect spot (where often it can't be sniped), just to have the taffer dash away when a rat scurries by and then get KOed by a wandering blackjack whore.

                Certainly poorly placed AI will be owned -- this isn't new.
                There are very few places you can put them where they CAN'T be shot, though. And if they NEVER move, even while being attacked, it'll make it far easier to just pincushion them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LaughingRat
                  There are very few places you can put them where they CAN'T be shot, though. And if they NEVER move, even while being attacked, it'll make it far easier to just pincushion them.
                  AI on their own will get owned. That's a given -- but well placed AI with a human nearby can be effective. IF they will hold their damn position once and a while, they'd make decent support crossbowmen instead of just blackjack-fodder.
                  Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yeah, yer right Bill.
                    If you don't have a human near an AI it doesn't matter what the hell you do with them they are just pincushion or BJ fodder.
                    "A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mad_Gerbil
                      Yeah, yer right Bill.
                      If you don't have a human near an AI it doesn't matter what the hell you do with them they are just pincushion or BJ fodder.
                      Nah, that's not true at all. There are some places on some maps where you can position them so they'll get the jump on a human thief in such a way as to be able to finish them off quite often.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Entropy
                        Whatcha think?
                        Yes!
                        When told to guard a spot, they SHOULD NOT MOVE under any circumstances.
                        I still don't like this idea. It would be far to easy to abuse, on maps such as Flats, or other places with narrow corridors etc. You should be able to remove them without sniping them, don't you ghosters agree? I do agree the they run off a little easy, and that ther should be some kind of command that makes them better at holding their position, say only chasing thieves that are closer than 15 feet, or so.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jocke
                          I still don't like this idea. It would be far to easy to abuse, on maps such as Flats, or other places with narrow corridors etc. You should be able to remove them without sniping them, don't you ghosters agree?
                          How would this be any different than a human guard who decides to stand in a corridor and not move?

                          Originally posted by LR
                          There are very few places you can put them where they CAN'T be shot, though. And if they NEVER move, even while being attacked, it'll make it far easier to just pincushion them.
                          They're already easy enough to pincushion. I'd rather place one inside and tell him not to move.

                          I'd like to see a guard interface that lets me set the "aggressiveness" level of the guard. What we have now is "investigate any sound/sighting". I'd like to be able to set them to not move unless they SEE the thief, and another setting for them to not move at all. Another useful setting would be "do not leave the building under any circumstances". Yet another might be "do not stray more than 15 feet from this spot".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jocke
                            I still don't like this idea. It would be far to easy to abuse, on maps such as Flats, or other places with narrow corridors etc. You should be able to remove them without sniping them, don't you ghosters agree? I do agree the they run off a little easy, and that ther should be some kind of command that makes them better at holding their position, say only chasing thieves that are closer than 15 feet, or so.
                            As long as they can't open doors, I'm not to picky, it just gets annoying that the AI are so stupid. But the bug where AI can open any door NEEDS to be fixed, it's getting insane.
                            Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think there's some command for the th-doors in UEd to make botCanOpenDoor=False.
                              JM

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X