Total Escape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Escape

Ok, i've posted this before but it was way back at the TTLG forums I think:-

Here's the idea in easy to understand point form!

* - When a thief exits he gets the option to totally escape (may this could be determined by the exit zone, moving to the VERY BACK of the zone would be considered a total exit.

* - When out of the level the theif is put is spec mode, his score is incramented as he's escaped successfully but is unable to help his buddies, nor talk to them (he's ran off back to his thiefy den for a cup of coffee or something!)

Although sometimes I like the co-ordination of a sync'd exit, I dislike supposedly 'escapeing' and being detected by a lone guard who flare scans the so - called - exit - which - is - really - a deadend.
    ~TuF~

Interesting idea. But I think they should be able to still talk to them. (Only shout of course.)

Comment

Yeah, I've been thinking about this idea in the last few days, too... And my opinion is done : ruXX0rz!
      JM

Comment

Originally posted by طmega
        Interesting idea. But I think they should be able to still talk to them. (Only shout of course.)
        Absolutely,

I think it could/would be exploited otherwise, ppl informing others of guard positions etc...

Then there's LaughingRats constant argument of teamwork, but i'd argue that a part of every player whats to save their own ass over somebody elses!
        ~TuF~

Comment

Not me. I would give my life up for mOdEtWo. How noble of me eh?

Comment

Hmmm....

maybe because i'm a heartless machine I'm incapable of these feelings of remorse and empathy. Many a time have I let a teammate die without batting an eye!

Although I did save Curiurs ass once on Spider....

...Then again.... somebody, not sure who TOLD ME OFF for saving their ass!

I just don't know, I'm so confused.... :?
            ~TuF~

Comment

I vote a big fat YES!
              So long as the thief was able to come back, in the event that those carrying the other objectives were to hit the dust.

Comment

But wouldn't that give the thieves the ability to hide in the exit (Giving them a safe haven where guards can't reach.) in case the guards chase them? Or am I missing the point here.

Comment

Being caught at the back of an exit (Flats, Grange, for example) is a map design flaw. How about a true exit that leads you into a larger city where you can hide and disappear realisticly (Breakout, for example)? Nobody likes walls in a game, because it destroys the immersiveness.

I think TheMachine's idea is a credible solution for those maps that have dead-end exits. However, I would not want to use this idea for maps that have well detailed and expansive exits.

Also, keep in mind that a thief at the exit can help thier teammates with crack arrows and such. Plus, what happens when the last thief to exit dies before he exits and you loose an objective? Then you must return to player mode. It's too complicated. Just have the mappers keep this issue in mind when making future maps so they can make a larger exit zone beyond the door or tunnel (cough, cough, Korman).
                  "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                    Being caught at the back of an exit (Flats, Grange, for example) is a map design flaw. How about a true exit that leads you into a larger city where you can hide and disappear realisticly (Breakout, for example)? Nobody likes walls in a game, because it destroys the immersiveness.

I think TheMachine's idea is a credible solution for those maps that have dead-end exits. However, I would not want to use this idea for maps that have well detailed and expansive exits.

Also, keep in mind that a thief at the exit can help thier teammates with crack arrows and such. Plus, what happens when the last thief to exit dies before he exits and you loose an objective? Then you must return to player mode. It's too complicated. Just have the mappers keep this issue in mind when making future maps so they can make a larger exit zone beyond the door or tunnel (cough, cough, Korman).
                    Yeah i agree, if on flats you went thru the tunnels and into another (wouldn't have to be big) area of town that was quite dark this would satisfy my needs.

Say on grange, you could exit to a road leading out of the mansion, a big dark area that could hide theives well.

Darkened enlightenment could lead into a forest like the one on that map that wasn't so good! the O2 one or something, I have to say I did like the forest idea.

My initial idea would make the theif team LOSE if the last theif died with the objective, however the ones who escaped would be given a small score bonus for escaping (like the surviving to the end bonus)

Omega, to address your query. At the moment, say I'm the last thief on DE and theres 3 guards left. I run to the exit and the guards pursue, I cross the "imaginary line" into a dead end and i'm safe?? even tho i'm being pursued by guards within swiping distance of my frail little thief body? Do you agree?

There HAS to be boundrys to the levels, most of the boundrys are relitively immersive, and as an avid player I can look past the gangly arms of the theives, the lack of combat animations and the 'end of the level' syndrome like in the exit of korman. but it would be more immersive if the level ended with something more... erm sensible. I appreciate It's difficult, and I don't have all the answers to HOW. it's up to the mappers really.
                    ~TuF~

Comment

I like this idea. I am always asking myself in game "why can't I just go home now, I have enough stuff!"

Such as the other day while thieving the Korman. I was the last one left after Grank vailantly tried to grab the crypt gem, so we could win the game. So I finished the rest of the map. The gates were open, I got back the rectory gem, and every spec of gold not in the crypt. I wanted to just bow out gracefully, as Mad Gerbil and 2 other RLFers were heavily camping the crypts.

Server: "10 minutes remaining"
                      Mad Gerbil: "Attention to the last thief: Yes, the RLF will stay and protect the crypt gem for the last 10 minutes of the game."
                      Me: "Can't my thief just decide go home now? I have all the guards scared and in the crypt, and I got everything else, do I really need to go in there?
                      Everyone else: "LOL"
                      Me: "Damn"

Well, I made my way through the sewer door past 2 RLFers(Wow! I am getting better!) after a few attempts, then of course died on all the mines/trops they left for me.

Mad Gerbil: "Many thieves would rather commit suicide than face the RLF!"
                      Everyone: "Groan"

Ahh, it was fun, but frustrating at the same time.

Another time, when Grank was guarding and I was thieving (hmm...I seem to play with Grank a lot on this map) I was sitting in the Korman exit waiting for my buddy to come to the exit point with me. I was observing Grank guard the exit point, and considered trying to BJ him. Well, he must have read my mind, because he then proceeded to flarescan the entire exit zone, and that was the end of my game.

Ahh well, story time is over.

Kiech
                      Kiech

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                        Hmmm....

maybe because i'm a heartless machine I'm incapable of these feelings of remorse and empathy. Many a time have I let a teammate die without batting an eye!

Although I did save Curiurs ass once on Spider....

...Then again.... somebody, not sure who TOLD ME OFF for saving their ass!

I just don't know, I'm so confused.... :?

Awww... I remember that you big hunk of metal! And I graciously thanked you for your deed. I know whoever programmed you had to put some kind of emotion chip in there!
                        Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                        "Dream is Destiny"
                        Waking Life

Comment

Sounds good!
                          {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                          Contact details updated
                          I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Water makes for a great exit safe zone. In skelston I simply jump in the water and swim around until everyone is ready to exit. The nasty little fishies do a little to deter this but they are easy to kill as long as you didn't waste all your arrows sniping guards(omg! DM thief!!!!!).
                            "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
                            -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

[/quote]
                              Awww... I remember that you big hunk of metal! And I graciously thanked you for your deed. I know whoever programmed you had to put some kind of emotion chip in there! [/quote]

AWWWW, *Hugs Curunir*, *checks vicinity for threats*
                              ~TuF~

Comment

Working...
                              X