Scuffling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scuffling

How about guards can grab hold of thieves by frobbing them. And thieves can counter it by pushing the guard away by frobbing them. Of course thieves could push guards a small distance if they werent being held too.

Heh. A shoving match.

I don't think this will effect gameplay too much at all. Strategies won't change at all, and it might not even effect who lives and dies, either. However, it's another feature, it adds to the immersion, and I'm all for that.

If we highlight the face, can we slap 'em silly? Give 'um upside the head? Or maybe the two-fingered Stooge-eye-poke. *nyuk nyuk*
    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

I think it could have big implications. The thieves would no longer be as free to circle strafe but they could try to push themselves out of being trapped in a corner. Guards would be able to time thier grab of the thief as he turned to run allowing all the guards to have an extra second to attack. I am sure this would often be the difference between escape and death. And then you have all the interesting stuff that would develop like counter circle strafing the thief so he cant push you away. Not to mention pushing guards off buildings or towards a blackjack ready accomplice in a melee.

Comment

Do thieves push and guards push? Or do thieves push and guards pull? I actually would like a pull when chasing down a thief with my sword.

Comment

Sorry yes, thieves only push and guards only grab to make things simpler. I cant see why either would want to do the other that much.

Comment

Excellent !
            btw , pulling should last 2-3 seconds max , or it would mean certain death for a caught thief... perhaps force weapons down for him ?
            Another possibility is to let the guard seize thieves by hold frobbing them when having no weapon or item selected , would slow him down (like when carrying the chest) but would give extra long paralyzing/stunning effects to the caught thief. While such struggles would be rather harmless , the guard would have enough time to call for help. Would promote teamplay greatly.
            Thieves may crouch or sidestep to dodge it.

Comment

I think the only way you should be able to get out of the hold should be by pushing the guard where by you both move back half the distance of a normal push. I too think the holding of thieves should only be possible when you have no weapon selected so it would be used as part of a stategy of many guards to catch a thief. The guard should also be able to pull the thief around (with decreased mouse speed like paralysis but to a lesser degree) so you could grab a thief from behind and turn him around. This would allow such situations as guards dangling thieves over big drops as freeing yourself from the grip would result in stepping off the edge. The would also be the answer to being a thief trapped in a small room by a guard standing in the doorway.

Comment

Heh, sounds good. Should also consider:
                Pushing a guard cancels invisibility
                Pushing a cracked guard pushes him twice as far
                Being grabbed as thief causes you to go to full brightness, cancels invisibility.
                (Imagines guards groping around in the darkness trying to find thief)
                Well, more realistic than shadow slashing, I spose...
                M-M-M-M-MONSTER BLACKJACK... jack... jack... jack...

Comment

This could change the tactics alot

1 guard hold the thief, another guard slaps the thief.
                  The thief pushes the guard away, runs a little bit, but the guard grab him again. And the other guard kills the thief.

Well, it would be funny but you'll need to think of the lamers

What if a guard doesn't stop holding the thief? clicking the frob button like mad .... you know, like some do with doors. open close open close open close, etc.

I think if this is gonna get implanted, it will need time between the "pulls" Like, 2 seconds
                  On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

I think the devs should definitely test this out. I think it could have great positive effects, like guards catching fleeing thieves or holding them over a fall as stated above, and thieves pushing guards out of doorways or off ledges/rooftops.

How would you know that you could frob them? If we have some sort of highlight or icon like for picking something up or opening doors this would be a problem, since guards could easily spot thieves in shadows by just wandering around and looking (it would remove those 'nudge out of the way as the guard blunders by' moments).
                    {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                    Contact details updated
                    I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Nah, grabbing ahold thieves makes them look like pathetic little n00bs.
                      JM

Comment

Of course it would be deigned so guards couldnt just permanently hold a thief by tapping rightclick. I was thinking that in the situation with one guard holding you and the other hitting you, you should first push away the guard not holding you then free yourself. Tactics would change but i think it would add another part to the game rather than change an existing part. Guards would have a tough job holding on to a thief that could push them say, half a meter away at will. The only chance of using the immobilising grab to siginificant effect would be to surprise a fleeing taffer.
                        I think it would be really fun as a thief running away from guards and then suddenly you stop, forcing you to quickly turn around and shove the guard off you. This would also make you to see the other guards that had joined the chase closing in on you and would make running from guards very immersive. Thieves would dread the appearence of the 'grabbed'symbol appearing and guards would get a feeling of satisfaction from the sound telling them they had a grip on the taffer. It would require team work for gabbing to be beneficial however and it's non-use may result in the thieves pushing ability being overpowered. But I'm sure this could be overcome.

Comment

My initial visual still won't go away. New tactics -- i.e., guards now chase thieves with their hands straight out, clutching at the air, hoping they can get a hair closer to grab the thief.

Eh, that really turns me off with this tactic. But, then again, the same thing happens with the sword -- wildly swinging at the air because the thief is one step further ahead. I've said my bit on this thread. I'll let the rest of you decide. Maybe it'll be implimented in 1.4, if it comes out.

Comment

Yeah I think it seems a bit pointless when you might as well just hit the thief with your sword but I thought of a good addition to the idea to provide it with a use.
                            How about if enough guards had a hold of the taffer they could move him about. Now this would have so many problems, producing bugs of all kinds. But it would be really cool arresting a thief and imprisoning him. Now at the moment the only reason you would want to do that is if the taffer had an objective item on him. So you could effectively move the objective. The other thieves would have to free their captured friend of course to get the objective. Have to make it hard to capture a taffer though.There could be maps specific to this with little cells somewhere with a lock too.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins
                              How about if enough guards had a hold of the taffer they could move him about. Now this would have so many problems, producing bugs of all kinds. But it would be really cool arresting a thief and imprisoning him.
                              LOL!!! I have been thinking this same idea for about a week or so. I was going to shrink a guards model, and call him "Mini-Gerbil" for my map. Thieves and guards would be able to pick up this tiny guard, toss him around, and whatever else. But my maps not comming out for a while, so anyone can steal this.

Kiech
                              Kiech

Comment

Working...
                              X