Faking death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faking death

UT has the 'feign death' function...not sure f i spelled it correctly. i think it woud be pretty cool if a thief or guard can 'fake' to be dead.....it would introduce a whole new element of play and guards adn thieves would have to be a lot more carful... maybe when they fake death they still have a collision radius unlike the'real' dead
    http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
    -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
    -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
    -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

and what about visibility. dead guards are invisible in shadow. Shoud fake dead guard be invis too ? :|

Comment

Firstly, I suggested this idea while ago & still think it would be great.

However:
      Originally posted by koraX
      and what about visibility. dead guards are invisible in shadow. Shoud fake dead guard be invis too ? :|
      Problem: Guards could just use this in any dark area & get themselves free invisibility. This tips the balance slightly too much in their favour. Also, thieves could just use it to become completely impervious to hits whenever they enter the shadows.

Solution: Let's say both guards & thieves do become invisible in shadows when playing dead, but it takes about 10 seconds for the players to make themselves look corpselike. During the period which players are changing from normal to play-dead mode (or vice versa), they slowly fade in or out of visibility.

By having a delay between changing modes (10 secs is fair because thieves shouldn't have to keep looking over their shoulder all the time for invisible guards), it means that guards can't exploit the darkness for unfair ambush-attacks, & thieves can't use it to make themselves instantly invulnerable to hits, if a guard chases them into darkness.

Comment

Would "fake" corpses be frobbable? I can see guards carrying all thief corpses off to some well-lit, well-guarded area.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
          Would "fake" corpses be frobbable? I can see guards carrying all thief corpses off to some well-lit, well-guarded area.
          Well either:

-The player immediately returns to normal upon being frobbed & tries to escape/attack

OR

-The player continues to act dead & risk being thown into a fire somewhere

Comment

That would be fun. But the thieves or guards should be able to get free by pressing the feign death key again.

Comment

That'd be sweet! You could disguise into a pile of bodies on an objective...

:twisted:
              The only constant is change.
              (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

yes you can press button again and be 'not dead' i think as a disadvantage the fakers would not be invisible in shadows...unless they are theives (so no messing with the visibility and less work for devs) .i think this is easy to implement since the function is already in UT.

and the corpse wouldn't be frobbable..i mean that is like impossible to implament
                -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

I'll suggest the following additions:

(a) Someone faking death can be frobbed and carried as a corpse, but if hurt by a weapon or fall will make the normal "ughk!" noise. Alternately, as a great sacrifice of realism but aid to game balance, we could allow players feigning death to quietly take damage except for a guard holding a flare to them, which would cause them to yelp. (In any case, someone feigning death would take damage, so tossing corpses down ladders might become popular.)

(b) The process of feigning death takes only 1-2 seconds, not more. But someone feigning death cannot look around. They can only see the direction they faced when they pressed the feign death keybind.

(c) Adjust the game so all corpses and knocked out bodies are always visible. Few maps have many shadows so deeply dark than a body would be tricky to see from up close. (Perhaps in a later version the maps could be altered to have 2 levels of "complete darkness", the deeper of which, such as some places in Folly, would even hide all objects.)

Comment

My 2 loot:
                    Faking - less than a second, and almost silent (Maybe not for guards *crash of armor*).
                    Getting up - takes 1 second (More for guards?). Makes the mantling noise (Hurr-uph-ah!), perhaps quieter, perhaps not at all for thieves.
                    Looking around - You can, but it makes the corpse spin around...
                    Invisibility - The same as all other corpses. Maybe let thieves see all corpses regardless of 'invisibility' status.
                    M-M-M-M-MONSTER BLACKJACK... jack... jack... jack...

Comment

guards will just slash every dead body they find, so it won't be useful for disguise.

Comment

feign death would be fun for thieves, but there is obviously a lot of issues that need working out.

Comment

guards will just slash every dead body they find, so it won't be useful for disguise.
                          I said that before in the other thread.

Comment

so what...they slash every shadow they find... so why not?
                            just makes it more realistic (people in real life play dead all the time)

Comment

Too be real: Guards faking dead IRL would be stupid. Even in Thief it'd be stupid.

Thieves on the other hand... why not? Sure, guards should be ABLE to do it, but they should always be visible.

Comment

Working...
                              X