BJwhoring and Shadow slashing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BJwhoring and Shadow slashing.

[disclaimer]The following may have already been stated to some degree.[/disclaimer]

As far as BJ whoring is concerned, I think the one problem is the thieves that run at you in full light and circle-straf you. What if when a thief has his BJ out, and is hit my a guards sword, there is a chance the thief will drop the BJ (in pain or whatever). Mace's would have a greater chance to cause the thief to drop the BJ. Guards can then pick it up if they want.

I think this would promote thieves using BJ's in a more sneaky way, for fear of losing it.

The other side of the spectrum, is guards shadowslashing. It makes alot of thieves want to KO them right away . How about to discourage shadow-slashing, everytime a guard swings and hits a wall, floor, whatever, and it makes that "Dong" sound, the weapon loses some effectiveness (does less damage, and compounds the more they do it, to even the point of breaking if done too much..
    CTG

Rhymin & Stealin

interesting idea, but no! I dont think it would work, because the guard could do something else, firebolt!
    Commander, Through And Through!

Comment

Originally posted by derekew
      interesting idea, but no! I dont think it would work, because the guard could do something else, firebolt!
      Sorry but a firebolt does not veto this idea. The sword/mace is the only constant weapon guards have, besides the crossbow, but you can run out of bolts.

If they shadow-slashed too much, they could destroy their melee weapon, and be pretty much defenceless. Seems to me that could be a strong deterent.
      CTG

Rhymin & Stealin

Comment

I agree with the dropping-BG idea... maybe you just put it away automatically.
        M-M-M-M-MONSTER BLACKJACK... jack... jack... jack...

Comment

I would like to see all weapons have this kind of nature. It could be the downside to blocking. A certain number of blocked hits or whatever would result in the blockers weapon falling on the floor. A slim random chance of losing your current weapon when you get hit. This way melee weapons could fall on the ground when a player is killed and these could be picked up. Thieves could steal maces - but maybe not crossbows unless they had miniscule damage on guards. This would be great with the addition of a few more melee weapons. I would love to see the ability to really personalise your loadout with your specific weapons. It would be cool to be able to throw any weapon as well. Basically i want to be able to pluck an embedded axe from a wall and throw it back at the guard that threw it. Surely the addition of a short sword at least for the thieves to use is logical? :swordthi:

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins
            I would like to see all weapons have this kind of nature. It could be the downside to blocking. A certain number of blocked hits or whatever would result in the blockers weapon falling on the floor. A slim random chance of losing your current weapon when you get hit. This way melee weapons could fall on the ground when a player is killed and these could be picked up. Thieves could steal maces - but maybe not crossbows unless they had miniscule damage on guards. This would be great with the addition of a few more melee weapons. I would love to see the ability to really personalise your loadout with your specific weapons. It would be cool to be able to throw any weapon as well. Basically i want to be able to pluck an embedded axe from a wall and throw it back at the guard that threw it. Surely the addition of a short sword at least for the thieves to use is logical? :swordthi:
            Cool, the axe kinda gave me a new guard weapon idea...

Comment

Going back to the origional thing by adrock i think in 1.3 the blackjack should cost loads of money. So thieves usually end up using thier fists to knock out guards. Drawing out the process and giving the guard a chance to at least get some damage on the taffer.

Comment

Very interesting...
                A thief may rely on his hands to KO guards , with normal strike doing ridiculously low damage (one drop at most) and a charged hit able to KO unhelmeted guards from behind (if helmeted the thief goes ouch !) , damage ranging from 50 to 100 if successfull. Being slashed by a guard would force the thief fists off.

Comment

Before we have any new weapon types... we should probably get animations for the current ones...
                  <makes love to TuT again and again...and again>

Comment

I think if a thief is hit by a fully charged guard attack and survives and is holding a bj (or a sword even - if he didn't block), he should drop it. Realistically, the thief would be seriously wounded by such an attack and would probably drop anything he was carrying from shock. Plus, thieves don't have appropriate armor to absorb impacts, so they should be more affected by getting hit. A regular, non-charged attack would have a 10% chance of dropping his weapon if the guard was using a sword, and maybe 25% if the guard was using a mace (a mace would cause more of a shock).

As for the guard's sword or mace getting broken by shadow-slashing, that may not work so well, since it would only apply when there is a wall or something nearby. Many shadows are out in the open, and some walls, like hedges, shouldn't break swords or maces. I do like the idea of something that would discourage shadowslashing but I don't think this is the way to do it.

Perhaps, model it after real life. If a guard attacks and misses, he will have to recover from the swing, so he should move a little slower and be unable to attack for a short time after the attack, and he will not be able to block during this recovery time. That would also make combat more skill-based, since guards would need to be much more careful when they carry out an attack. Missing would make them vulnerable to a retaliation. If you hit, then no penalty, and the next attack works normally. The missed-attack vulnerability state could even make non-helmeted guards susceptible to a frontal KO possibly?

A lucky guard could still risk it and get a good shadow-slash, if he hit with his first swing, but if he didn't...
                    "The optimist believes this is the best world to live in, the pessimist fears this may be true..."

Comment

Shadowslashing is that much of a problem...
                      And when i for one do it, i more then often either know there's a thief, or something tells me there's a thief hiding in that specific place.
                      Besides, more often then not you dont hit anything when shadowslashing... not even a wall. So it would seem pretty stupid to have it break when hitting the air.

And what would a guard do with a melee weapon?! A thief can do without a blackjack, but guards HAVE to kill the thieves.
                      "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Originally posted by Adrock
                        How about to discourage shadow-slashing, everytime a guard swings and hits a wall, floor, whatever, and it makes that "Dong" sound, the weapon loses some effectiveness (does less damage, and compounds the more they do it, to even the point of breaking if done too much..
                        So it would not happen if you were hitting air..
                        CTG

Rhymin & Stealin

Comment

Actually I kinda like the idea of guard weapons getting damaged and eventually broken by repeated smashing into walls - this would really discourage a lot of shadow slashing, but we'd have to be careful not to penalise the people who swing at visible thieves but miss (well, we'd be careful not to penalise them -too much-).
                          Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
                          :: Howard Scott

Comment

Perhaps have it simply take a LOT of hits on a solid wall to break? That probably wouldn't affect the average guard who happens to miss and hit a wall once in a while, but any guard who regularly runs along a wall, slashing at it would have some difficulty later on. I can see guards who lose their sword this way deliberately suiciding just to get a new one, though.

Another thought: Should this affect maces? If not, it makes the mace just that much more powerful in relation to the sword. Perhaps a price increase for the mace or a decrease for the sword (small amount in either case) would be in order if this were implemented for swords, but not maces.

Comment

nooooooooooooo dont make the mace higher in price- it's too expensive already- What TuT really needs is a pawn shop so thieves and guards can buy second hand weps at low prices or more money would be nice :wink: and after they break their sword and end up with only bolts guards would become rather weak :?
                              [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Working...
                              X