Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW IDEA: Instead of Swords for Thieves.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW IDEA: Instead of Swords for Thieves.....

I think we can all agree that a Sword Thief makes ThieveryUT very unfun.

I think it would better if thieves got a temporary long range weapon. Like instead of a sword, they could buy a Bo Staff (wooden pole). This Bo would be good for a few strikes on a guard or blocks from a sword, and then break and be no good to them. Wouldn't do as much damage as the sword does... but it may give them just a little something extra at times of extreme need.. without making the game unfun and stupid like sword thieves do now. This would replace the sword option in the buy menu and only last for a few strikes before breaking, therefore keeping them from abusing it. And If they wanna mess around and hit other thieves with it.. it shouldn't hurt the thief..but it should weaken the staff. This would keep up with their more primative weapons (like the bow and arrow) that they use.

Sonuvab!tch. I figured I would put this idea on the Chainsaws site too...and low and behold.. some taffer beat me to the idea! Well either way.. Its a good one. But I dont think it should replace the BJ.. just sword.. and making it break after a few uses is a definite must.

Comment

I disagree here. I don't see that as ever really being of much use, and then it breaking? IMO, when i guard and thieves whip out swords its fun time. I love it. I never use a sword as a thief but there are times in matches where it would be highly useful to have a sword thief. They have great distracting value and I don't think they should be taken away. On top of that they don't really pose enough of a threat to guards to be a problem. I recall guarding the map in SH once and a sword thief rushed in and blinded me, I still managed to kill him. I gulped my health and by the time I finished healing he rushed back in and tried the same thing. I killed him again, take his health pots and heal. He didn't try a 3rd time.
      "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
      -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

Yeah, the other idea is at http://www.thieveryut.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=432

I kinda like the sword though, it takes so much practice to not just get murdered by the guards (even AI) that those who can get away with it probably deserve to.
        One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
        -
        The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

I like the dagger idea, a small weapon that could still block 20% of sword strikes (defelection, the guard would be unable to attack for a short time afterwards, say 2 seconds)

and the dagger could be used as a good offensivie weapon, say inflicting 20 damage to a guard normally (frontal attack)

40 damage for striking a deflected guard, (considering this can only be achieved when the thief blocks which will only work a fraction of the time)

70 damage for a backstab delivered in 2 parts (the small lethal blade slips between the plates of the guards armor in the hands of a skilled thief) The first part on the intial strike, the second on the twist of the blade (nice squishy bloody noise here) for the twist to take place the theif must stay behind the guard for the extra second.

and maybe, paralyse the guard for a short time when a backstab is successfull, the shock of the blade has gotta kill. giving the thief time to finish his work or run if he's been detected.
          ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe

I think it would better if thieves got a temporary long range weapon. Like instead of a sword, they could buy a Bo Staff (wooden pole). This Bo would be good for a few strikes on a guard or blocks from a sword, and then break and be no good to them. Wouldn't do as much damage as the sword does... but it may give them just a little something extra at times of extreme need.. without making the game unfun and stupid like sword thieves do now. This would replace the sword option in the buy menu and only last for a few strikes before breaking, therefore keeping them from abusing it. And If they wanna mess around and hit other thieves with it.. it shouldn't hurt the thief..but it should weaken the staff. This would keep up with their more primative weapons (like the bow and arrow) that they use.
            No, just NO.

Personally I find speed potions for guards very 'unfair', let's delete them okay? :roll:

Comment

You're a guard and you're not capable of handling sword thieves?
              JM

Comment

No, I don't think we all agree with that. I think kewl just got his ass owned by a sword thief or something.

Comment

WOW! I guess I AM the only one (with common sense).

OK.. well you guys are all entitled to your opinions... even if they are wrong. I'd say this is the best idea since Marioing was implemented. It makes much more sense for the thief play style and inventory, plus since it is only a limited weapon, they have to think twice about using it up right away and DMing with it. hmmm *checks community for drug usage*

Just as long as you guys don't agree with the "Throwing dagger idea" that has got to be one of the worst so far. Lets think about this: You want a Sharp object that you can throw that flys through the air and sticks into a person. WE CALL THEM ARROWS!!! Instead of throwing them, we shoot them, end result is the same. Either way we have to pull back on a bow or pull back on our arm. Nuff Said.

Now if you want a hand held dagger instead of a sword.. I could see that too.

Comment

I liked your idea Kewl. Until the part about getting rid of the sword.
                    Kiech

Comment

I don't get it, kewl, what exactly IS the problem with thieves with swords?

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                        I don't get it, kewl, what exactly IS the problem with thieves with swords?
                        Doesn't fit them first of all.. Nothing about a sword is "Sneaky" nor "Shadow hiding". It's bright, shiny, and very visible. We call it a BlackJack because it is BLACK! Black objects do not reflect light and are therefore easy to hide with, and in this case.. a nice small weapon like the blackjack makes sneaking very practical and easy. You don't see thieves running around with a Shiny Silver Blackjack or Chrome plated shoes, Everything about the thief is darker colored, and also, somewhat primitive to what the guards have.

The guards have brilliant shiny suits of armor, nice insignia's in their coat of arms, Nice high quality sword/mace. But the thieves have dark ragedy outfits that are sleek and simple. Bow-and-arrow vs. crossbow, soft cloth like shoes that allow Caltrops to go through them. And then they pull out this huge shiny sword thats worth more than their whole outfit and makes them visible for miles!??! That is not what I call a dweller of the shadows. It defeats the entire principle of the game. This is where the Bo comes in.. it holds the same purpose as the sword, but because of its primitive nature, it is only useful for extreme situations so that you can't abuse it...too much use and it breaks... It's an limited weapon.. like arrows. Use too many arrows and they're gone! So if you are cornered in a room with a guard with a sword and all out of potions and FB's.. then you only have one chance... to fight your way out and hope that guard is low on health or that you can block enuff of his sword blows till you are at a point that you can escape.

You wanna run around in the lights hitting things with swords? Go be a guard.. or go play UT. There is no skill is sword thieving. And it gets boring real fast. If you wanna have sword fights, go to the sword arena map, or you might as well change the name from ThieveryUT to SwordFightersUT

Now im sure most of you will say "oh you hate sword thieves becaue you get your ass kicked by them" And thats fairly true. I dont lose them alll.. but i sure dont win them all. I can block, but the block radius is extremely small in my opinion and with no animation it can be hard to judge.,,,, and if you are blocking and they get one or two hits in on you, well then you better run or fightback.. but now you are at half life and wasted your time trying to block so you will probably end up dying first if you go slashing back and forth at him now. Plus a lot of the time the guard and thief kill eachother at the same time.... and it gets old fast. I'm not the best sword fighter in TUT for the simple reason of 'I shouldn't have to be'.

Comment

I'm not the best sword fighter in TUT for the simple reason of 'I shouldn't have to be'.
                          Wrong. If thieves can have swords (and you're astute enough to have noticed that they can), then you DO have to be - or keep getting killed.

It's one method of play for thieves. This is just the argument of someone who refuses to adapt to a valid playstyle, and thinks the game should be altered to fit him.

Adapt. Learn. Improve. Cope.

Comment

Agreed with LaughingRat.

If a thief with a sword can kill you, then in any case you should be able to kill him.
                            JM

Comment

Guards move much faster with sword than thieves do, try circle strafing them before they do it to you, also, a guards has mroe hits in his health compared to a thief, cals which can be dropped in combat and a LOT more friends hehehe.

I don't see why you want to remove a prefectly valid playing style.
                              How TuF are you?
                              League of Legends
                              Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

Working...
                              X