Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AI Improvement: Respond to open doors/windows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI Improvement: Respond to open doors/windows.

As it is now, if a thief is in the dark and opens a door that an AI is facing, the AI doesn't respond at all - he needs to see the thief before he does anything. I'd like to see the AI respond to just seeing a door/window open - at least go into "alert" mode, and perhaps take up a position that is less vulnerable to sniping through that door/window. Or he could run up and close the door/window, then return to his position.

I'm afraid that would kill the thieves.
    JM

Comment

I don't think this is a bad idea. On a programming note, I am not sure how the AI would know if a door is open or not though. But a simple investigate, then close door script would be pretty cool. The biggest problem I see is that they would investigate EVERY time the door was opened, even by their own team. I think this would work best on a specific map or only for specific doors. It needs some thought.

Kiech
      Kiech

Comment

Well its certainly possible to do. I don't know why any maps have used it though. I have a loud gate leading to my exit that bots in the immediate area respond to if its opened.
        (AKA Dresden)
        Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

The AI could at least have sounds to make when they see something being opened/closed...

"Who opened that?"

"Who's there?"

You can link movers to triggers (as I assume Neo has done?), so would simply making them be suspicious at doors that are opened by thieves be enough?

Comment

ThDoor could be modified to capture a reference to the player frobbing it, & this would be used in an event call to all AI:

-Check if the AI can see the door
            -If true, check the team of the frobbing-player
            -If the player is a thief then cause the AI to get suspicious

(OK, it is kindof cheating by letting the AI know whether the player was a thief or not, but it's only the same case with AI detecting footsteps)

Comment

I'd hope that it could be made so it responds like a human does:

1) See door open.
              2) If you don't see a guard appear within 2 seconds (or less?) then you can assume it's a thief.

One thing I didn't like about the Thief games (and TUT has this too) is that guards can tell the difference between thief footsteps and guard footsteps. If a guard was patrolling an area (making footsteps..) and you KO him, then if you walk in the same area and make footsteps, the guard in the next room over somehow knows that it's a thief making those footsteps.

I'd try to avoid adding any more instances of the AI "magically" knowing whether it's a thief or guard doing something.

Comment

You see the massive metal boots the guards are wearing?
                Thief and guard footsteps should sound different.
                Thief steps = the sound we have now
                Guard steps = Sound you get when you whack a sword into them, but quieter.

So on a metal floor -
                -> Clink, clink, clink
                -> CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG

Or maybe, when a guard is walking, they make the regular sound, and when running, they make the banging noise.
                M-M-M-M-MONSTER BLACKJACK... jack... jack... jack...

Comment

Originally posted by Tieom
                  Thief steps = the sound we have now
                  Guard steps = Sound you get when you whack a sword into them, but quieter.
                  I disagree.

Guards footstep should be as they are today (have you ever heard a par of leather booths make a clonck sound on metal floor?). And the thief footstep should be made more 'quieter', as in more soft.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                    I disagree.

Guards footstep should be as they are today (have you ever heard a par of leather booths make a clonck sound on metal floor?). And the thief footstep should be made more 'quieter', as in more soft.
                    I think a quieter thief footstep would make a good addition to the additional stealth ability thieves are supposed to have in 1.3.

I don't really see too much of a problem with AI being able to distinguish between tief and guard footsteps, though.

Comment

Generally speaking, Thieves wear soft soled shoes in order to create less noise and ensure greater freedom of movement in the ankles.

This has one exception that I know of. Garrett (the main character in the Thief series) wears hard soled boots.

Whereas Guards, on the other hand, traditionally wear hard soled boots thus making them louder.

You'd be surprised how much noise hard leather can make on metal plates.
                      "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
                      even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
                      of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffergirl
                        This has one exception that I know of. Garrett (the main character in the Thief series) wears hard soled boots.
                        Actually, he doesnt make as much noise when moving about as you would think.
                        He just has an extra sensetiv hearing at his footsteps... or something like that.
                        "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody-Reaper
                          Actually, he doesnt make as much noise when moving about as you would think.
                          He just has an extra sensetiv hearing at his footsteps... or something like that.
                          I know. Like I said, he's the exception.

He breaks two major thief rules with those boots of his.

One, the hard soles. And the second, they're high up on the leg limiting movement.

But he seems to manage quite nicely. Actually better than some thieves do in soft soled shoes.
                          "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
                          even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
                          of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

Originally posted by Yenzarill
                            You can link movers to triggers (as I assume Neo has done?), so would simply making them be suspicious at doors that are opened by thieves be enough?
                            Actually, TH-Doors already have a setting built in, TMakeNoiseValue, in which you can choose how much noise the door makes that the bots can hear.
                            It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

The Thievery thieves are another exception. They wear "blackjack shoes" (i.e.- lead shot in the soles) to allow them to knock out guards by landing upon them. Thus the technique of knockout from above is named after the inventor of the blackjack, Sr. Mario Bellanoggin.

Comment

Working...
                              X