Super Rat DM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Rat DM!

I had this cool idea for a few things that could make Rat DM a bit more lively.

For one, you could model it after standard UT, with some differences, and put in little hidden rat powerups in places that would normally be obscured from a Thief or Guard's point of view, but not to a rat.

I brainstormed some ideas for rat pickups, just for fun:

Psychic Cheese "Lab Rat" - This cheese has a light blue edge instead of a red edge and cannot be picked up by guards or thieves (it's also smaller). If a rat attacks it, it eats the cheese and gains the ability to project a powerful mindray a short distance (the distance could increase the more psychic cheese the rat eats). The mind ray basically extends the range of the rat's attack.

Speed Cheese "Speedy Gonzalez" - This cheese has a yellow edge, and makes rats even faster than they already are.

Stamina Cheese "Mighty Mouse" - This cheese has a green edge, and allows a rat to survive getting hit by another rat which would normally kill it. It only works once, though, and then the rat would die with another hit.

Disease Cheese "Black Plague" - This cheese, which has a dark grey edge, gives the rat that eats it a disease, but the disease doesn't actually affect the rat. However, if another rat attacks and kills the disease-carrying rat, the killer gets diseased and will die within 30 seconds. If another rat kills that rat before he dies of disease, that rat gets the disease and will die in 30 seconds. You could possibly also make it so that the rat that ate the disease cheese can pass along the disease to other rats by simply being within a certain distance of that rat, and any rats that died from the disease would count toward the original rat's frags.

Spawn Cheese "They breed like rats" - This cheese, which has a white edge (or no edge maybe), turns the rat's attack into a limited AI-rat spawner. The AI-rats would have a very dumbed down intelligence and would just follow the rat that spawned them around and attack any other rats they saw. Once 3 AI-rats were spawned, the cheese would wear off and the rat would get his normal attack back.

The various cheeses should probably be somewhat rare and possibly spawn randomly in pre-selected spawn locations.

There should be a limit on how many rat powerups a rat can have active at once, possibly 2. Any other cheeses eaten after that will do nothing for the rat, but at least the rat can get rid of them so other rats cant eat them.

You could possibly even have a server-configuration option that would allow there to be rat corpses. There could be a setting for how long the rat corpses last and how many are allowed at once, so they wouldn't compromise bandwidth (an admin could just turn off rat corpses if he wanted)...

You could also possibly allow rats to eat dropped food, so there would be an incentive for people to not leave food lying around when rats start to show up... It could also be an incentive for mappers to design maps with food storage compartments that rats wouldn't be able to get into -- which is kinda realistic if you think about it.

Also, perhaps a second counter on the Rat HUD that shows how much food has been eaten, both powerups and regular food. This would be a seperate score for rats, sorta like thieves' loot.

And maybe include a seperate Rat-DM scoreboard alongside the main scoreboard. It could be smaller, but would be a nice feature. The Rat-DM scoreboard should show frags and food eaten.
    "The optimist believes this is the best world to live in, the pessimist fears this may be true..."

hmmm...

Call em "Rat Relics", that'd be great.
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

The devs have already said that rats aren't going to get anything new in 1.3. Now, as a mapping issue, there is a map out there that caters to rats. There is a little maze and a 'arena' that only rats can enter. As for a game with JUST rats....

Kiech
      Kiech

Comment

I'd like to suggest that DMers must become really fat rats, big and slow ... and ghosters must become really thin, fast rats
        On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Sounds good!!
          Does this mean there will have to be a "fat rat" award?
          It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

:lol:

I wouldn't mind seeing some more abilities going to the rats myself.

I've spectated as them before, and all you can do is run around and squeek. And that's just about it.

Otherwise they're extremely vulnerable. I know because I've been killed many times as one.

I guess that's all they really need to do, but it would be fun to add things like super jumping abilities, so specators can explore in ways not possible for other players.

I have a few others, but they'd probably be too silly to mention.
            "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
            even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
            of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

Heh... just make the rats have the UT weapons (much smaller) strapped to their backs (random which one you get).
              They do no damage to actual players, of course.

ph33r t3h r4t r3d33m3r :twisted:
              M-M-M-M-MONSTER BLACKJACK... jack... jack... jack...

Comment

The image of rats jumping around with UT weapons strapped tot heir backs is very amusing...

But... Maybe we should concentrate on THIEVERY, not the rats.

Comment

Rats can move around the map, move boxes and kill other rats. If you take it too far, then you have to worry about the game balance being shifted.

Kiech
                  Kiech

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
                    Rats can move around the map, move boxes and kill other rats. If you take it too far, then you have to worry about the game balance being shifted.

Kiech
                    Is that what rat frags are? How many rats another rat has killed?

What's the point in that?
                    "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
                    even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
                    of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffergirl
                      Is that what rat frags are? How many rats another rat has killed?

What's the point in that?
                      That is what they are, and the point is to have a little something to do when you're stuck spectating. If you're in a sily enough mood, it can be quite fun.

Comment

I like to taunt the guards as a rat. I run up to them and start squeaking at them until they try to shoot me or step on me. Then I run and hide under the couch... Although usually what happens is that some guard who doesn't even know I'm there runs into the room and steps on me on his way to resupply...

I think the rat powerups shouldn't really be noticeable to the guards/thieves. The rats should look realistic (at least as much as they do now) from the guard or thief's point of view (having UT weapons would be contrary to that effect), but when you're a rat, then it should be like a whole different game. Even the psychic rat wouldn't seem that odd. The psychic attack would be an instant hit sort of thing, so you wouldn't see little rat bullets flying across the room or anything...
                        "The optimist believes this is the best world to live in, the pessimist fears this may be true..."

Comment

Working...
                        X