Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion: Enforce 1v2 when only 3 people playing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Enforce 1v2 when only 3 people playing.

Massive BUMP from four months ago:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=61047

Basically, if you're too lazy to follow the link:
    • When 3 people playing, enforce 1v2 autobalance (1 thief, 2 guards) instead of 2v1 autobalance.
    • When not 3 people playing, current autobalance (2v2, 3v2, 3v3, 4v3, etc.) is used.
    1v2 is much more fun than 2v1 because many maps a single guard cannot guard the entire map by himself when there are two thieves about, and it's too easy for the thieves to win (no challenge). With 1v2, there's one thief against two guards which is harder, and more enjoyable for the guards.

Four months ago it garnered favorable reaction. Is this still the case? Can the Dev's impliment this for 1.3??? Has it already been implimented?
    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Not re-reading the thread, but:

On Thief-maps (eg, Folly), I would prefer the 1 thief vs 2 guards like you mention.

On Gaurd-maps (eg, Gerome), I would prefer 2 thieves vs 1 guard.

Enforcing 1v2 isn't a viable solution, IMO.
    No Linux, No Choice.
    Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherMan
      Not re-reading the thread, but:

On Thief-maps (eg, Folly), I would prefer the 1 thief vs 2 guards like you mention.

On Gaurd-maps (eg, Gerome), I would prefer 2 thieves vs 1 guard.

Enforcing 1v2 isn't a viable solution, IMO.
      i agree
      http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
      -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
      -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
      -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

Great idea buho, I've been hoping they'd do this for awhile.

Comment

I like servers that don't have a lot of people on them. You get to know the players more, get to chat more, and you have more thief lives for yourself :grin:

With three players, since auto-team-ballance allows two thieves and one guard, I end up (with fairness and good gameplay in mind) abstaining from choosing teams until auto-ballence kicks in after the countdown and then choosing guard. Sure the games were great, but after a while I got sick of playing guard all the time. Y'know?

Even on Gerome, 2 thieves on 1 guard is not very fun, because the guard must camp the library the whole time, not daring to leave for fear of a thief (oir two) getting in. IMHO, every map is better with 1v2. But it's up to those playing. If you want 2v1, coordinate before the previous game ends who's to be on what side, have two join, then have the 2nd thief join after autobalance takes effect.

Hmm, I see a problem. Autobalance takes effect every time someone tries to join a team, thereby still enforcing 1v2 after the game starts. Perhaps an ammendment to this idea, only have this custom autobalance before the game starts.
          "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

In a related issue, some maps are simply lousy for 1v1 play. I suggest that "balance teams" only activate once the server has 3 or more players.

That way the first two people to a server could be rewarded for their patience (until others join) by both being thieves, if they desire. On a few maps that is normally much more entertaining than a 1v1.

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
              I like servers that don't have a lot of people on them. You get to know the players more, get to chat more, and you have more thief lives for yourself :grin:
              I tend to agree. The fewer the players, the more "intimate" ... .... nevermind

Even on Gerome, 2 thieves on 1 guard is not very fun, because the guard must camp the library the whole time, not daring to leave for fear of a thief (or two) getting in. IMHO, every map is better with 1v2. But it's up to those playing. If you want 2v1, coordinate before the previous game ends who's to be on what side, have two join, then have the 2nd thief join after autobalance takes effect.
              Not fun? Camp the library? Is you crazy? :lol:

I guarded Gerome against Grank and BrokenArts (two most excellent thieves), had a blast, never camped the library, and lost the match with less than 10 seconds remaining (out of 25 minutes) to the lone surviving thief (who admitted to using the "loot-respawn bug"). There is definitely more than one way to play Gerome ... :wink:

Originally posted by Abrahamster
              In a related issue, some maps are simply lousy for 1v1 play. I suggest that "balance teams" only activate once the server has 3 or more players.

That way the first two people to a server could be rewarded for their patience (until others join) by both being thieves, if they desire. On a few maps that is normally much more entertaining than a 1v1.
              Now that is an idea I like!
              No Linux, No Choice.
              Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherMan
                I tend to agree. The fewer the players, the more "intimate" ... .... nevermind

I guarded Gerome against Grank and BrokenArts (two most excellent thieves), had a blast, never camped the library, and lost the match with less than 10 seconds remaining (out of 25 minutes) to the lone surviving thief (who admitted to using the "loot-respawn bug"). There is definitely more than one way to play Gerome ... :wink:
                Oh yes, nice cozy games we have. :wink:
                That was a fun game LM with you and Grank.

Comment

Working...
                X