Suggestions re: lewt and after death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions re: lewt and after death

right off the bat, i'd say two things: first, lessen the loot drop, as a default.
    second, make the two classes feel really good about the loot that they do recieve.
    for the first part: because of all the loot hoarding that can happen in a game,
    loot dropped shouldn't rise above 50%. although ideally it shouldn't be more than 30% of a corpse's total loot. and whenever loot gets dropped, it should
    only stay visible for x seconds, after which the loot vaporizes. to reward players, loot needs to be a precious commodity.

second, randomize what loot gets dropped. it shouldn't be a routine occurence
    for thieves to find healing potions, or for guards to find catfall or invisibility.
    those who do so should be elated, since they've got something that can
    potentially make them (temporarily) incredibly powerful when fighting the
    other side. loot that is valuable for the opposing force should be randomized
    to have a lower drop ratio. (say, thieves drop catfall and invisibility less often, and
    guards drop health and speed potions less often)

suggestions for chat. playing version 1.x of Thievery seems akin to playing beta 1.0 of Counterstrike: dead teammates can guide live ones. eliminate this. current versions of Counterstrike and Amerca's Army (which i find to be an impressive piece of work) should be drawn upon for inspiration. in Counterstrike and AA, dead soldiers still have access to global and teamsay channels, but the dead whisper amongst themselves.

once players die, they change to rat form. however, if they mistakenly right-click,
    they automajickally switch to a chasecam of a live player. can this be changed? maybe once a player becomes a rat, the VGUI should add an option to let rats switch views to spectate, instead of any errant mouseclick making the decision. on the topic of spectators, can an option for free spectating be added? i'd like a chance to get to know the maps quickly (yes, i am indeed a n00b) and barring any bandwidth
    issues, i believe it'd help make the game more accessible to other new players.
    Gotta knock a little harder
    Break through the door
    --Cowboy Bepop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door OST signed by Yoko Kanno *heart*

First, loot drop is a server setting. It can vary from 0% to 100%. 50% is the standard on public servers, and once the respawning loot bug is fixed, it won't be nearly as much of an issue. The reason that it's almost never lower than 50% is because then there would be no real penalty for thieves dying, lootwise. For realism, 100% drop would be the only way to go, and unsurprisingly, the RLF prefers to play that way. ^_^

Second, potions aren't loot. Loot is valuable stuff thieves pick up from the map that contributes to the loot objective. Currently, all potions are dropped, and most people have no issue with this. It's realistic that players would drop what they were carrying when they die, and it's a fun, cool feature that most everyone likes. Remember that all these potions can be bought, and none are really overpowered. Also, to avoid dropping potions, either hide them or use them.

Third, dead to live chat is another server option. In almost all public servers, it's on. Why? Because Thievery is a small community. Most of the players know each other. Since dead players can not whisper to their former team, everyone knows if someone is using this to cheat. Usually dead players chat with other dead players, and even those still alive, and it's a very enjoyable part of the game. It could be abused, but it's not, and people would know if it was.

Fourth, I really take an issue with your attitude here. You are new to this game, and within a week of arriving, make a post to the suggestions forum outlining problems you think are present that MUST be dealt with. I don't care if there's something you don't like -- this is a suggestions forum, not a demands forum. I'd also reccomend playing this game FOR AT LEAST A MONTH before posting in this forum. That will give you at least some experience with it, and a better idea what you're talking about.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by DocSkrilla
      once players die, they change to rat form. however, if they mistakenly right-click,
      they automajickally switch to a chasecam of a live player. can this be changed? maybe once a player becomes a rat, the VGUI should add an option to let rats switch views to spectate, instead of any errant mouseclick making the decision. on the topic of spectators, can an option for free spectating be added? i'd like a chance to get to know the maps quickly (yes, i am indeed a n00b) and barring any bandwidth
      issues, i believe it'd help make the game more accessible to other new players.
      If at any time you are spectating another player and you wish to return to rat, press and hold V (default) and select from the available options. One option is Free-Cam...

Feel free to ask questions, we are a newb-friendly (usually) community. :wink:
      No Linux, No Choice.
      Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

I hate to say this, but most people here play thievery because it is NOT counterstrike. I hate counterstirke. Dead to live chat is fine. Is someone is abusing it, you kick them. End of story. Just because counterstike players feel the need to cheat, doesn't mean it works elsewhere.
        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
          I hate to say this, but most people here play thievery because it is NOT counterstrike. I hate counterstirke. Dead to live chat is fine. Is someone is abusing it, you kick them. End of story. Just because counterstike players feel the need to cheat, doesn't mean it works elsewhere.
          Indeed. Thievery is the antithesis of Counterstrike in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
            I hate to say this, but most people here play thievery because it is NOT counterstrike. I hate counterstirke.
            Believe it or not-- I do, too. There are few things I like about Counterstrike games, and reasonable discussion doesn't happen to be one of them.
            Dead to live chat is fine. Is someone is abusing it, you kick them. End of story. Just because counterstike players feel the need to cheat, doesn't mean it works elsewhere.
            Actually, the only reason that was among one of my suggestions is because I saw a list of people banned because of it elsewhere on this forum. If it's a server option, my bad. I wouldn't know because I don't run a server. I'm on dialup. And also, if it's a server option, then my regard for this mod is raised this high. *points to above head* You see, the reason I'm using CS as a reference point is because it was the first time I ever played a beta. It was pretty much the only multi-player mod that i played with any regularity, and CS's beta 1.0 had all-inclusive chat. (I'm much more of a single-player person, although I'm now playing Thievery for UT and Natural Selection for HL-- neither of which is in the least like Counterstrike or any of the other WW1/WW2/counterterrorist mods out there.

Leatherman, thank you so much. I was really getting flustered.

Originally posted by DarkBill
            Fourth, I really take an issue with your attitude here. You are new to this game, and within a week of arriving, make a post to the suggestions forum outlining problems you think are present that MUST be dealt with.
            Wrong. So very, very wrong. Nothing I said should have given you the opinion I was making demands, and I would have thought that people would even welcome reasoned discussion? Here, let me show you:
            (yes, i am indeed a n00b)
            There. See that? I did acknowledge that I'm still a n00b. And again:
            Post subject: Suggestions re: lewt and after death
            And that marks this whole thing as a few suggestions. Nothing MUST be dealt with. There are no demands being made. I'm sorry to whichever dev happened to read it that way. And your explanation of what was lewt and what wasn't is very much appreciated, by the way. But if getting your underwear in a twist because of my suggestions goes beyond the usual hazing of newbies who presume to have the right to speak their minds, what's the dealio? What gives, my friend? Did I hurt your feelings? Well, if I have, then I hope this isn't viewed as a jackass list of demands, too. Understand that I didn't know that most of these were server options. And, as a fellow forum troll, you should know that I'm just voicing my opinions. As people are wont to do. And my opinion was that it was wierd having a surfeit of potions all over the place.

*phew* Now that I've soothed the lion... *sneaks around to blackjack DarkBill* I'll be seeing you on the servers, you taffer
            Break through the door
            --Cowboy Bepop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door OST signed by Yoko Kanno *heart*

Comment

Its funny how Doc claims to be "not demanding" anything and tryin to be "friendly" but the last paragraph of that last response, seems anything but friendly. And I agree with DarkBill, get to know the game before you criticize it... even if its a suggestion, it still is criticism. ( I did that far too often in my own |\|3\/\/|313 days.)
              <makes love to TuT again and again...and again>

Comment

Working...
              X