TurfWars Rules Revisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkBill
    Thief was a single player game. Thievery is a multiplayer game. Thievery doesn't need new maps to not be boring after a while, single player games do.
    Sorry, DB, gotta disagree with you here. The existing maps are VERY rich with possibilities, but at some point, people will get sick of playing them, just like with every other first person online game. It'll happen a lot more slowly than with a single player game, because human opponents offer a much wider variety of opposition, but it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
      Originally posted by DarkBill
      Thief was a single player game. Thievery is a multiplayer game. Thievery doesn't need new maps to not be boring after a while, single player games do.
      Sorry, DB, gotta disagree with you here. The existing maps are VERY rich with possibilities, but at some point, people will get sick of playing them, just like with every other first person online game. It'll happen a lot more slowly than with a single player game, because human opponents offer a much wider variety of opposition, but it will happen.
      Mayhaps. I think multiplayer games are far more focused on the players, while single player games are more focused on the map and the story. I was objecting more to the analogy Kiech was drawing than to his actual point, although I don't believe fan maps will be very important to Thievery.
      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

You just didn't like the analogy? Compare it to Quake, Doom, Unreal, DukeNukem, or any other host of games that have a map editor. Using Thief was just convienent.

And I do think the players are the focus. But I also think the new maps help refresh the game and keep more players while adding new ones to it. Right now we have a great DEV team that is working hard to make the game work its best, and the players know it. But someday they will be done, and there will be no more 'suprises' or 'suggestions' to argue over. New maps will help continue that spirit, along with the players.

Kiech
        Kiech

Comment

sounds fine...but with my disconnecting luck i bet ever match will have to be started over and noone will ever win :roll: .....damn new ctg server !

why in the hell do these random disconnects occur?
          http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
          -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
          -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
          -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

So, now that this digression is over (ahem), are there any more comments or suggestions on the rules revisions? In particular, I'm not happy with the section on disconnects during a match.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
              Originally posted by Buho
              In response to Kiech:

I might be nit-picking, but I disagree that new maps are the "lifeblood" of TurfWars. I don't see too many maps being added to TurfWars, considering how long they take to make, and I don't see a guild creating a map especially for TurfWars as a strategy to boost their points.
              I missed the second little part of this sentance, sorry, Buho. All maps have to be approved by the other guilds to become part of TurfWars. If the map is horrible, then it won't be accepted. If a good map is made, then why do you care if the creator benefits a little bit from it? But it would be a little obsure for that scenario to happen anyways. They would have to make a map, then put themselves into Turfwars, then hold the map and not win any challenges, and pass up any opportunites to claim other 'unclaimed' maps until you become the senior 'never had a map' guild.
              Whups, yeah. I forgot new maps must be voted on. As to new maps being the "lifeblood" of Thievery, mm, ok, but unless they equal or exceed the quality of the "official" maps, I won't play them as much or at all. I abhore ameture maps. Too many sucky maps and they will turn me off to Thievery. But that's just IMHO. Also, we have no reason to expect new maps in 1.4, do we? That means fan maps are all that's left to come.

Looking for feedback, LR? on all of your points.

I wonder what Thievery and its community will be like in 12 months....
              "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Whups, yeah. I forgot new maps must be voted on. As to new maps being the "lifeblood" of Thievery, mm, ok, but unless they equal or exceed the quality of the "official" maps, I won't play them as much or at all. I abhore ameture maps. Too many sucky maps and they will turn me off to Thievery. But that's just IMHO. Also, we have no reason to expect new maps in 1.4, do we? That means fan maps are all that's left to come.
                A couple "amateur" maps that have been made already are QUITE good. TH-Archery, for instance, and TH-Breandor. Once downloads are enabled and we have a redirect server set up, those are going into rotation on the Crackaz server.

Looking for feedback, LR? on all of your points.
                GRRR! I'm not looking for a thumbs up on everything. Critique, take it apart, tell me what you think is WRONG with it. As I said, the part on disconnects I'm particularly dissatisfied with, as I think it's far too open for abuse. I just haven't come up with a way to make it NOT open to abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                  If a team loses 1/3 or more of its lives in a round due to random disconnects, the round must be started over.
                  I'm dubious about this. Any player matching should make sure they have a stable connection, but sometimes problems occur. However, I can see it being open to abuse by players just disconnecting if a guild wants a replay. I have a vague idea how to handle that, but I'm still formulating it.
                  If a team experiences several random disconnects during a match, they may ask the other team for a restart of that map. Only one restart is permitted per match.

Now ettiquete will determine if a restart is acceptable, and it can only be allowed once per match.
                  Kiech

Comment

If a team experiences several random disconnects during a match, they may ask the other team for a restart of that map. Only one restart is permitted per match.

Now ettiquete will determine if a restart is acceptable, and it can only be allowed once per match.
                    You think only once per match, and not once per round within the match?

Comment

Yes. If a team has players that keep dropping, then there is probably an issue with the players computer, however, I am already pondering a revision on that:

If a team experiences several random disconnects during a match, they may ask the other team for a restart of that map. Only one restart may be approved for each team per match.

A little better. It allows a 'if you scratch my back i'll scratch yours' policy. No more than one per team though. If a player continues to drop, they should have an alternate ready to go. Still mandated by ettiquete, and guild discression.

Kiech
                      Kiech

Comment

If a team experiences several random disconnects during a match, they may ask the other team for a restart of that map. Only one restart may be approved for each team per match.
                        Personally, I'd rather go with this.

Comment

Good. Did we cover all the issues now?
                          Kiech

Comment

Oh, I know what you forgot.

"Guilds that wish to participate in TurfWars must publish their member list publicly."
                            Kiech

Comment

Good. Did we cover all the issues now?
                              You and I did, and to a lesser degree, Buho. No one else has had anything to say, though.

Funny how all the input is coming from people not in guilds. :wink:

Comment

Actually, I am told I might be accepted into a guild soon. That and I hate to see posts go unanswered.

Kiech
                                Kiech

Comment

Working...
                                X