Actor Collision Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actor Collision Problems

Hey, ok heres the deal, Ive been playing with UnrealEd for about 4 days now and have started a really simple small first Thievery map. So far its goin pretty good, but I still dont know a lot of the tools and things like that. So heres my problem:

I keep having collision problems with actors, mainly just furniture in a room I have, its pretty annoying because its obvious that its wrong, about 4 or 5 different objects have the wrong collision detection, is there an easy way to fix this? or do I have to mess with the collision coordinates for each object? and if so, how do I do that? just change the numbers and see if it looks right?

anyway, thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me, Ill post a screen soon once I get more done
    "Shivers running down my spine,
    whos blood? I know its mine.
    -I am The Hunted"

GBH

there are two fixes- one is you adjust the collision hull to match-the other is you make the furniture to allow people to walk through it and then have block all round it-this is how a lot of the tut maps do it
    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

I suggest not using meshes for most furniture. They feel cheesy and don't cast shadows. Download the furniture prefab pack. Its in the mapping section of the TUT site I think.
      (AKA Dresden)
      Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Ok great, thanks guys, thatll be a big help

now I have another problem, before I thought it was furniture that was causing some collision problems in this one area, but all the collision is turned off on all my actors, and Im getting stopped in this one spot as if there was something there, in UnrealEd nothing shows up, no actors, no geometry is there, nothing, I have no idea what could be blocking players and actors here

btw, wheres that furniture prefab pack? I dont see it anywhere
        -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Firstly, is there supposed to be geometry in that position, even if you can't see it? It may sound like a stupid question, but I'm always getting caught out by BSP holes & their subsequent invisible walls.

Is the space through which you are trying to pass big enough for the player collision cylinder to fit thorugh. I'm not 100% sure but I think players have a radius:64 total-height:128, collsiion cylinder.

If you've recently tweaked the collsion cylinders of surrounding objects, make sure none of them are overlapping, or that you haven't got oversized collision cylinders poking through from other rooms.

I f you still can't work out what is causing it, feel free to email me the file & I'll look it over, assuming you manage to zip it down to a reasonable size.

You can get the furniture prefabs at http://www.thieveryut.com/Mapping/files.htm

EDIT: Don't mind me, just removing my email, since it's showing up in google searches :s
          Last edited by The_Dan; 7 Sep 2005, 10:40 AM.

Comment

1. Its just a floor and carpet, there shouldnt be any holes there

2. yup its in a good sized room, just a spot in the corner of the carpet where you cant walk through

3. All of the actor collision is turned off, so this shouldnt be a problem

it feels like a actor is blocking me, like its round and I can manage to jump on it sometimes too, but no actor is there, Ill email you if I cant get this fixed, thanks a ton for the help

oh, I see, "contains all the tutorials on this website, plus a selection of prefabs." youre probly thinking "geeze if this guy cant read how can he see actors that might be blocking him..." hehe
            -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Ok I think Ive figured out whats causing the problem, but I dont know how to fix it

I dont much of the terms of this editor so bare with me

ok the subtractive cube that the room is made out of, the center point or maybe you call it a vertex, only its not joining two lines, its just that point that supposed to be in the center of a cube, thats right in that spot thats blocking me, which isnt in the center of the room, is there a way to delete that point or move it?
              -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

The point is Pivot... And no, it isnt blocking you.
                It's just what the object refers to as it's center point.
                "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

hmm thats really weird then, it must be just a weird coincidence that thats there

I even rebuilt the room and it its still there, not really sure what else it could be
                  -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

ok I figured out what the problem was, there were actually two meshes there, but they werent showing up in any of the windows, (even in wireframe) but I found them through the actor search, was there a reason why they werent showing up in any of the windows? I would think they would at least show up in the wireframe mode

btw thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it
                    -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

The_Dan wrote:

"I'm not 100% sure but I think players have a radius:64 total-height:128, collsiion cylinder."

Actually Dan, from what I've seen, and I may be wrong, but I've found I have been able to walk under ceilings that are as low as 110 or 112 uu in height (without crouching) - but cannot squeeze through a space that's less than 64 uu's wide. I'm assuming this has to do with the players collision cylinder height. I believe someone has said in a prior post somewhere, that a player can walk under 100 uu's, and that's it, below that its not possible. Again, someone will have to confirm this for sure.
                      ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

Originally posted by killed
                        ok I figured out what the problem was, there were actually two meshes there, but they werent showing up in any of the windows, (even in wireframe) but I found them through the actor search, was there a reason why they werent showing up in any of the windows?
                        If you set a new groupname for them (under "Object" in properties), then they'll automatically become hidden in UED. Under "Advanced", there are two properties: bHiddenEd and bHidden.

The latter is default on all pathnodes, ambient sounds etc, so that the sprites you see in the editor don't show up in the game.

The former is automatically set to true on assigning a new groupname and refreshing the view in the groups browser (Green G on toolbar) - this is done automatically every time a map is loaded. You can tell if this is what's doing it by loading the map with the invisible meshes, then looking in the groups browser for any unchecked boxes.

Other than that, if you deleted any entries in Properties > Display such as drawtype or mesh, that'd account for it too.

Comment

I donwloaded the prefab pack but I can only get a couple of objects using the Import Brush option...should I be using something else here?

When I try to import any of the other prefabs I just get a single point rather than the object shaped brush.
                          One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                          -
                          The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Working...
                          X