TH - Country Manor screens, my first FM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TH - Country Manor screens, my first FM

About the last three weeks Ive been trying to learn UnrealEd. This is my first thievery/UT map to make, so its nothing great, but I learned a lot. I didnt plan anything out before I made it so its really blocky. But its close to being done. Here are the screens, sorry theyre so dark:

That tree looks like a good way over the fence...how are your tree climbing abilities?

This is the main room of where I guess most of the action would take place. There are two workable drawers in this room that can hold the objective item.

This is the bottom floor of the house. If you look all the way to the left you can see a door I made that has transperant glass in it.

This is the exit/entrance.

constructive criticism is welcome
    "Shivers running down my spine,
    whos blood? I know its mine.
    -I am The Hunted"

GBH

From what I can see it looks like a cool map. But could you make those a little brighter, I can barely see anything.

Comment

Ok I didnt want to brighten them because then they turn out all washed out then people say "why are they so washed out??" :? :lol: if theyre too dark to see, you can go here and see them against a black background, it should bring them out a lot: http://www.geocities.com/whatpics/Th...FMScreens.html

my data transfer limit has been hit so itll be an hour or so before these are able to be displayed
      -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Nice! I really like the exit/entrance one!

hm... that's really all I had to say.

A short post from me for once.

~S
        I stood among them, but not of them, in a shroud of thoughts which were not their thoughts.
        ~ Lord Byron

Comment

Thanks I really appreciate any comments

it would be done now if I could just figure out how to get the menu screenshot to work
          -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

I have to say skilled, the screenshots do look promising. I hope you get this map finished soon ... else i have to wait
            On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Oh my... attack of the red X.
              "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

yeah sorry about the X's, Geocities can be a pain sometimes
                -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Just had a look around this map. It's very nicely done, excellent atmosphere. The climbable tree is a really neat touch.

My only concern is that it's very little. I mean tiny. I'd have to say it's probably not a good map for most public servers, having only 5 player spawns. It's lack of size will make it hard for a thief to get away once discovered, too. Fotunately there are a lot of dark places to hide to help with that.

The scepter being worth nearly the loot requirement alone is a bit unbalancing, though, I'd say. That, and any one other item, and one thief can make a getaway with a win. Given the small size of the map, he won't have far to go, and the guards won't have a chance to react to the objective warning to try and stop them. I think it may be an excellent map for a small group of friends to play on, or to teach a new player or two on.

If this is a first map, bravo! I look forward to your future work.

Comment

Hmm. It could use something.

Something like...

...this.

If you want it, I already have it chopped and zipped. Ready to be imported.

Zipped and chopped

---

First map, eh? To get that in the map:

1. Import textures
                    - Texture browser -> File -> Import
                    - Set Package to "MyLevel" so the textures will be put inside the map file.
                    - Set group to "Map" or something... or leave it empty, whatever.
                    - Set Masked ON, and MipMap OFF.

2. Create SketchMap object
                    - Actor Browser -> Info -> ThieverySketchMapInfo
                    - Select a texture from the texture browser, and put it under "Guard map" by clicking the "Use" thingumie there.
                    - And "Thief map", too.
                    - set bShowPlayerLocation to True
                    - set TopLeft coordinates to: -2080, -1280
                    - set BottomRight coordinates to: 920, 910
                    Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

well hell yeah man, thanks! Ill definetely put this in! I wasnt planning on having a map since I was too lazy to make one for this small of a map, but Ill go ahead and stick this in following your directions, thanks again!

PS: what does the message at the bottom mean?
                      -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Very nice looking! I also like small maps I'd eliminate high-loot items, like LR said. Just keep it to silverware and piles of coins. So, when's it gonna be done? :grin:
                        "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

PS: what does the message at the bottom mean?
                          I could say it's just randomized mumbo-jumbo to make it feel more cryptic, but that'd be a lie. :wink:
                          Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

OK, CTG messed around with this map a bit today at practice. We noticed right off that there are some BIG problems with the thief spawns. Very first round, both thieves spawned in the first floor of the house, in bright light, right in front of guards. Not good. Once we started letting the thieves out to the front before starting play, it worked decently. I think we got three rounds in, first one was a bust because of the spawn problem. But the other two were split victories, so it can be won by both sides. Plays very fast, though.

Comment

yup I realized that from play testing, Im releasing a new version, the sketch map imported, added more outside loot, fixed the spawns and other minor adjustments

I just need someone to play test this new version with me around 10 more times just to make sure there arent any bugs left, anyone interested?
                              -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Working...
                              X