Shadows look sheared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadows look sheared

I've been trying to work on my map lately, but one issue keeps bugging me. In one of my largest rooms the shadow a pillar casts looks like it's skewed where two subtractive brushes meet. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Setting the pilar to high shadow detail, or bright corners would work. It's in the texture properties.
    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Is that a secret door? Or a special add? Set THE WALL to High Shadow Detail.

Comment

He clearly said THE PILAR ya fool. :twisted:
        On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Originally posted by PhaeThorn
          Jeah, but you can see some weird outline on the wall behind the pillar.

Comment

Do not do more then what you are asked for, is a perfect line for this thread

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
              Originally posted by PhaeThorn
              Jeah, but you can see some weird outline on the wall behind the pillar.
              Yep, and the shadow looks weird, like split, there.

Thought that was the prob.

Comment

he is talking about the shadows on the wall, he said "the shadow a pillar casts looks like it's skewed where two subtractive brushes meet."

the back end of the pillar where its shaded dark is not a shadow, its a shaded area

the only suggestion I have is make it into one subtractive brush if you can, make sure high detail shadows is on
                "Shivers running down my spine,
                whos blood? I know its mine.
                -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Then i was wrong

sry.

but i suggest you still do what i said. then the pilar looks better too.

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Phae, he very clearly said the shadow the pillar cast

Setting the surfaces of the pillar to high shadow detail won't solve the problem of the shadow it "casts", but it will take a bite out of performance.

The shear between the shadows is showing up precisely because lightmaps are being generated for each polygon. Find a different way to build that geometry so that those two polygons are instead one (Search Wiki for merge polys, deintersect, intersect, CSG), and your shadow will be shmoove.

Comment

I just went ahead and got rid of one brush and extended the remaining one to occupy the missing space. That fixed the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X