moving sprites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving sprites?

hey guys, I was wondering if there are moving sprites in UT? I mean, I know you can connect sprites to movers, but it seems that if there are two loop movers in the area that it slows the frame rate waayyyy down to a crawl, so I thought if I could just find a moving sprite that would solve the problem, anyone know if there are any? and if theyre not, could/how I go about scripting one?

PS: or if anyone knows a solution to keeping the frame rate up and still having two looping movers, Im all ears

"Shivers running down my spine,
    whos blood? I know its mine.
    -I am The Hunted"

GBH

If you just want moving sprites I think you can place an AI and change its display type from mesh to sprite and then set a sprite for it, then make it patrol.
    (AKA Dresden)
    Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Yes, you can change the properties of any pawn under display to DT_Sprite, assign a texture (I think it's texture, but it might be the skin entry), and use STY_Masked.

Other than that, if they follow a really small loop, you could use a sheet brush with a masked, animated texture, but that's probably a ball-ache compared to using a pawn.

Comment

well, the thing is, I want this sprite to move in the air, not just on the ground, so I dunno if thatll work or not, Ill run some more tests and see if theres a way to do it
        -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

I cant seem to get this to work, since it needs to rise into the air, it seems like it should be easy enough to script an object like that, but I have no idea how to script, could anyone maybe shed some light on the subject?
          -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Use a flying monster from Unreal. But remember you'll have to use a PatrolPoint insted of a TPatrolPoint for it.
            (AKA Dresden)
            Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Have a look at the old graveyard in korman...

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                Have a look at the old graveyard in korman...
                I don't have (any) knowledge about this, but I think Mord removed those spirits to get a better framerate. Must be harsh on the CPU then !?

Comment

Yeah, Korman v2's corpselights in the graveyard were actually stripped-down tbots displaying sprites instead of meshes - the -main- reason I removed them was that they were no longer needed, but yes, having two extra bots slowed things down some, and also that because they were mobile light sources they managed to totally mess up the graveyard light map. Also, if you do it this way you'll find the "bots" keep trying to do animations the sprites don't have, causing reams of errors in the log files. Dalai fixed this for me with a custom tbot actor, but I don't have the foggiest how he did it.
                  Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
                  :: Howard Scott

Comment

Ok, Ive been trying to get a Fly (scripted one) to go to some patrol points, but I cant seem to connect the patrol points together correctly, heres what Im doing:

placing PatrolPoints (not TPatrolPoints)
                    entering in the tag for each patrol point (3 at the moment), patrolpoint1, patrolpoint2, patrolpoint3
                    under the PatrolPoint dropdown menu in the properties, in the "NextPatrol" box, typing in the tag of the next patrol point

I build all and it doesnt seem like the paths are being built, even though they are pretty close to each other, also I have the "Show Paths" option turned on in the views, still nothing
                    -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

I could help, PM me

Comment

Working...
                      X