Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to have 2 sets of maps for one game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to have 2 sets of maps for one game?

I would like to have a map for the Thieves showing just certain sections..and a map for the guards showing the whole area.
    Can this be done?

I would like this too, but as far as I know, it isn't possible. Maybe in 1.4, please?
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Aquatone got it.
      "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Really? I'll have to look into that...
        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Yeah, it's possible.

When you set up the ThieverySketchmapInfo you have to specify the map part textures, you can set the guard textures to be one set, while the thieve's can be a dfferent set of textures.
          Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Next question..
            Whats a good program to make the sketchmaps?

I have PSP 7, Paintshop 6, and Gimp
            Any of those work good for this?

Comment

Take your pick, all of those are good enough for a sketchmap. I used Gimp for the map I made for Payback.
              Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I use Photoshop because I find the layers easier to work with.

I recommend a new image of size 1024x768 (you'll see why later)
                Paste a background into this (some parchment texture or other) and create a new layer.
                In this layer paste the CTRL-PrtScn screenie of UED's overhead view of the map.
                Now create a new layer and draw over the map.
                When done set the opacity of the UED view layer to 0 and (if Photoshop) use the divide slice tool to automatically chop the image into 256x256 squares (see why I made you make it 1024x768?).
                Save the images separately as PCX and then import them into UED as per ThieveryUT.com instructions on Sketchmaps.

I've already done two maps using this method and I'm starting on a third. It takes some skill to make the map look authentic and 'Thiefy' but as long as you trace over the UED view it will be to scale - the fun comes when you want to calibrate it...

As for the two maps I usually stop before I add comments and such and save two separate versions - there's nothing to stop you having two totally different maps though (although they must be in the same position on the screen and the same scale - style and colour are changeable though).

If you need any help, particuarly calibrating it, just pm me or something.
                One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                -
                The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

^

Good method, and with even some rudimentary painting skills you can get the trace looking really good (Apparently ). Inputting the coordinates isn't very hard, it's just a bit tedious. I did it as suggested here on the TUT site, progressively refining them by switching from one corner to the other.

Comment

There is a certain knack to calibrating it ...

It can take next to forever if you haven't worked out which way you should be changing the values and it's kind of difficult to explain since I'm never too good with complex explanations :-\
                    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                    -
                    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

So with that knowledge..where does one find blank map pages to work from? Or is everyone making those from scartch themselves?

Comment

Well... The sketch background you see in several official maps is my da's old school report. Just been changing the color and position.

I think I have the blanco version up somewhere, since Dalai wanted it once...

Ah, yes. Hm... it's for Paintshop Pro and you can get it from:
                        Here

[Edit:]

And I must say I believe in pencil more than paintbrush. Too bad my scanner's getting weird.
                        Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

My eyes! I cannot see!

What in the world am I suppose to do with all that?
                          Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                          "Dream is Destiny"
                          Waking Life

Comment

Im guessing the taffer posted a psp(Paintshop Pro) image... which IE cant show...

People need to start using png and fireworks... :roll:

Comment

Huuh?

Of course it's a PSP image. Do you think I'd have the time to download that, convert that into something reasonable and then up it again? :grin:

And the answer is, in the world you're supposed to download that, draw a sketchmap over it and contribute it to a cool-ass map.
                              Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Working...
                              X