Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am restarting my project (the map formerly known as TH-Library)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from the real world!

About the *dodges axe swing* multiples, I do recall a long time ago reading something about Unreal being a real fan of multiples of 2. I will try to use that in the future.

Which brings up this noob question, is there a way to spot u units on the editor, I am planning on using a lot of similar brushes to make things even and cut mapping time.
    Feel the power of the

Comment

Uneven brush sizes is just making trouble for yourself for no reason. Toss a 33x33x33 into a room with 32x32x32 and 64x64x64 you end up with tiny gaps (Fun for water zones or zoning in general), stuff being off the grid, having to do math with stupid numbers (ok i got this 47x84x777 cube and this 32x99 beam and i want to fit a thing between that so thats 47-32x99+23434235323432423x1.002) and aligment and positioning problems since they wont snap to the grid as easily.

Ya can see unit size in the same window where you change it, but being able to tell by just looking at a top view (or the like) would need a "reference" brush (not that hard tho, anything half the size of 128 is 64, double is 256, 3/4 is like 92ish yadda yadda) i think.
      My leet Thievery Map
      My leet UT3 Map
      My leet AS Map

Comment

yeah, doors are normaly 128 high, 64, wide, 8 in depth. the doorway insides id make 32 deep between diff rooms.

id also add in another reason for not using 1uu grid size, textures are also multiplies of 2, using 1uu can mess up textures easily room's and areas i always make with grid of 64. that way textures allways fit perfectly. only time i go below 16uu grid is for decorations, and you should use semi solids for that if possible!
        [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
        Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
        AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
        Videos - YouTube

Comment

Powers of 2 rather than multiples of 2 are what you mean. Although it is reasonably safe to mix a couple of powers of 2 together (like 64 + 32). Certainly stick to the grid.
          Immortius' Forge

Comment

Im stepping away from the 2d shape editor for now. It's still messing 2 sides of the brush, even the default cube is getting messed. I have no idea what could be causing this.

I will try to use simple shapes to build up the corridors, most of the corridors will use the same shape but there are some that use a round tunnel like ceeling.

Edit: Using simple cubes got me the shape I wanted, it displays fine on the 3D world but it gets very messy on the editor. I will have to look further to see what coudl be causing this mess on the 2D editor.
            Last edited by Antero90; 27th Jun 2011, 04:45 PM.
            Feel the power of the

Comment

Orgy had a Tut wiki goin once and i actually had a page about 2dshape. Its prolly lost in time now tho.

Its a pretty powerful tool and you can do lots with it, dont get discouraged. Didnt ya do that arched corridor in the picture in 2dshape already?
              My leet Thievery Map
              My leet UT3 Map
              My leet AS Map

Comment

I did make that arched corridor with the 2D shape, it looks good and just as I had planned it to look ingame, problem is that looking at each end of the corridor this is what it looks like (see«messed up» atached pic).

I also realised that the shape may need some tweeking, I was thinking in making that face to look like this (see «possible look» atached pic), that way I can keep the general layout of the room without having a wall with a texture that is too huge, but it's only a small detail, I would be very happy if I could just have a clean unique face.

This issue is kinda of a show stopper, I was planning to use the 2D shape editor to make some of the special rooms I had planned. I suspect there is something that I am not doing that is causing this whole mess. I will try to hunt down some tutorials while I am at work (yes, I am feeling lazy again today).

Anyway, I will continue to use the test map to play around with doors and hopefully with meshes. I got the impression that most TuT specific meshes are furniture, are there any architectural meshes as well? Not that it's a problem, the architectural stuff I have planned can be made by making smaller brushes. But to make them I need the 2D shape editor as well.
                Attached Files
                Feel the power of the

Comment

Architectural meshes weren't really a thing until UT2kX, because meshes only had cylinder collision before that (with some fiddly workarounds).
                  Immortius' Forge

Comment

Wouldnt call that messed up, its just like the engine handles stuff made with 2dshape (altho it is abit weird. Actually fired up ye olde ued2 and tried to make a primitive corridor block myself and it seems abit better organized, doesnt have just like 3 splits coming from a single corner. See below). Just needs abit cleaning

1) Mark all the splintered surface bits who are supposed to be one wall and align them either as wall or floor
                    2) Rightclick on the brush -> Polygons -> merge
                    3) Build
                    Attached Files
                    My leet Thievery Map
                    My leet UT3 Map
                    My leet AS Map

Comment

In wich window are you doing that? Right clicking on the textured view does not bring up any polygons option, it only shows up in the other views, but selecting it doesnt seem to do anything.
                      Feel the power of the

Comment

I got the impression that most TuT specific meshes are furniture, are there any architectural meshes as well?
                        Iirc using meshes isn't that great for most things in UT99. Most of the furniture meshes were converted to brush files, which are better to use.

edit: what Immortius said.
                        Last edited by Loony; 28th Jun 2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Antero90 View Post
                          In wich window are you doing that?
                          Have a world brush selected with leftclick (so that its highlighted in yellow for a subtracted and blue for an added brush..and green and whatnot for all the others) then rightclick on it. Incase ya didnt know, you can hold ctrl and select multiple surfaces. Just to repeat gotta do that then align those as a wall/floor in texture alignment then at least rebuild geometry or the merging wont do anything.
                          My leet Thievery Map
                          My leet UT3 Map
                          My leet AS Map

Comment

Today I am playing with TH-Door, i got it working 90%, only thing that remains is positioning the pivot on the side and making the door solid, other than that it frobs well.

I will also reduce the height of the corridor, it's too high and tmy test map caught a bug that makes the player crouch near the the door.
                            Feel the power of the

Comment

Solidity is determined by the model you copy the mover brush off. For the pivot you just need to move the lil dot in the middle of it around.

Iirc >.<
                              My leet Thievery Map
                              My leet UT3 Map
                              My leet AS Map

Comment

Today's update.

Got a small bit of time but managed to finally set down a few things.

I managed to finally merge the messed up faces. I now have a proper wall face. That means I can use the 2D shape editor with no issues.

I also adjusted the corridor height, it's a bit more arched but I actually wanted that feature to make it diferent from other corridors, particularly from TH-Archery.

I will try in the next 2 days to make mockups of one of the wings. This will give me an idea of the actual size of the rooms. My biggest issue at the moment is getting the proper size for the corridors and rooms. I will try to stick to the grid as a quick measurement tool.

By accident I got the shape I wanted for some of the rooms types I had planned. There is another type of room that I have not yet designed. Im thinking in using the 2D shape editor and try something more advanced, like a more stylized ceeling. I will play a bit with editor and see what comes up.
                                Feel the power of the

Comment

Working...
                                X