Some shots from my map in progress, City of Westport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some shots from my map in progress, City of Westport

Ok, I've gotten a bit further in my mapping efforts and I was wanting to post a few shots to show my progress. Here they are:

This is a shot of one of the many looooong hallways I'm putting into the fortress wall.

Did I say loooong? I meant fooking goddamn that's loooong!

Here's a rather nice elevator shaft.

And from the top.

And here's a fun shot of me stress testing the guard spawner.

O_O

looks good.......with 1.3 you don't need a guard spammer no more..the spam themselves
    http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
    -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
    -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
    -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

long hallway. elevator looks sweet though.
      Modeller,
      Thievery UT
      www.jeredhunter.com

Comment

....looking good!! You've done quite a bit in a short period I see...

...particularly like the 'elevator shaft with spiral stairs'.... :grin: :wink:
        ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

Careful with the guard spawner. If the number of bots and players in a net game goes above 32, things like your HUD start dissapearing.

You might want to break up the monotony of long hallways by adding a couple of turns in the middle...like insted of

[code:1:e912918c50]
          |
          |
          |
          |
          |
          [/code:1:e912918c50]

you could improve framerates by adding a small bend like so:

[code:1:e912918c50]
          |
          |_
          ._|
          |
          |
          [/code:1:e912918c50]

Or add a small room in the middle that you could make look like a storage room or whatnot. It might also let you add more decorative brushes on the north and south sides of the hall.
          (AKA Dresden)
          Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

I like the look of your halls, but yes, long halls equal (probably) less fun and lower performance.

Comment

Yes, I foresee much lag and whining.

Comment

You might want to separate this hall into zones.
                JM

Comment

I'll break the trend and be the first person not to be nasty to your hallways :wink:

That elevator room looks so cool
                  One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                  -
                  The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

I plan to add large doors in the hall to break it up, but I will not submit to the temptation to cripple my vision to suit the engine's limitations, dammit!

On the whole, the map is frikkin' huge...16,000uu by 10000uu, and thats just the shipping district. I still have to do the main city, the cathederal, and the haunted quarter. OMG, I'm insane. I have it zoned good though, and out of 600 brushes in place so far, half are semi-solids. The frame rates are decent. I am also going to keep the amount of dynamic stuff low, to keep bandwidth concerns to a minimum. I am wanting to add many bots to the level, but these I will try and code to keep them off of the team roster info.

In reality, I intend for this map to be more of a single-player experience, with multiplayer just to keep with the map trend.

(BTW Hehe, I wonder where I got that spiral stair idea from, eh silent? :grin: )

Comment

Originally posted by Microwave Oven
                      I have it zoned good though, and out of 600 brushes in place so far, half are semi-solids.
                      The less semi-solids you use, the better. Remember that the engine will always spend time rendering them even when you aren't in line of sight.
                      (AKA Dresden)

Comment

Is that correct? I had read that semisolids were better for framerates, and caused less BSP troubles. Well, it'll be easy enough to convert them all to addition brushes, so I'll need to test that.

Comment

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Semisolid

They are useful for arches and pillars and other complex structures to reduce nodecount, but if its something like a small or medium sized room, you likely won't need to use any unless you're having BSP problems.
                          (AKA Dresden)

Comment

Microwave wrote:
                            I plan to add large doors in the hall to break it up, but I will not submit to the temptation to cripple my vision to suit the engine's limitations, dammit!
                            Yea, long hallways really slowdown framerates, especially on lower end systems. But your placement of doors should correct this somewhat. Any visually far distances slow things down.

(BTW Hehe, I wonder where I got that spiral stair idea from, eh silent? )
                            Hey, I don't have a patent on it, man, go for it. It's different enough (and much prettier than mine) that I'm not pissed. (But thanks for the acknowledgement anywho) So far I've seen a number of very similar things coming out that looks like stuff I've done. Synchronicity, I guess. I'm learning lots from yours and other peoples maps too.... ( )

Quality stuff, man. Keep up the good work!!

Comment

Microwave wrote:
                              Yea, long hallways really slowdown framerates, especially on lower end systems. But your placement of doors should correct this somewhat. Any visually far distances slow things down.

(BTW Hehe, I wonder where I got that spiral stair idea from, eh silent? )
                              Hey, I don't have a patent on it, man, go for it. It's different enough (and much prettier than mine) that I'm not pissed. (But thanks for the acknowledgement anywho) So far I've seen a number of very similar things coming out that looks like stuff I've done. Synchronicity, I guess. I'm learning lots from yours and other peoples maps too.... ( )

Quality stuff, man. Keep up the good work!!

Comment

Working...
                              X