Thievery Mute pack in the works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thievery Mute pack in the works

I'm posting it here because we don't have a "Scripting for Thievery" forum and if I post this in the general forums it will just get attacked with random spam.

Basically, I'm starting to try out some ideas for Thievery-specific mutators, & I'll use this thread as a place to post my progress.

Once, I've got a handful (lets say about 6) of mutes properly working, I'll release them publicly.

I'm currently working on:

Torch-Extinguisher: Makes torches randomly go out, in the level, over time. Taken from my map & currently being converted into mutator-form.

Thievery Fatboy: Changes the players fatness to match their current loot

Gibs: Make players gib when they die from suitable causes (ie. long falls and explosions)

Sweeeet. All of those sound fun.
    (AKA Dresden)
    Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Cool!

How about a random noise mutator:

For guards, sound effects of a key being used, footsteps, bows being pulled, switching weapons, lockpicking, blackjack being drawn, potion swallowing, jumping sound effect, rope arrow unfurl... All of these types of sound effects, randomly, for a random time, once on average every minute.

For thieves: sound effects of guard footsteps, swords being drawn, mines being dropped, potion swallowing, random AI comments, etc.

Would highly increase the paranoia in games.

Just a suggestion that probably nobody will impliment but is fun to think about. Three inherent problems in my idea already come to mind.

Can't wait for the mutators, Dan!
      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Random noise per minute on average is a bit heavy. And thieves don't really need that sort of thing except for ThiefMatch, maybe.

But generally, that'd be nice.

Oh, and Fatboy should be slow and noisome.
        Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

I'm planning to try & make a mute that will randomly freak out the bots, since I'm sick of them saying "Is someone there?" when you can be 100% sure that someone ACTUALLY IS there.

The random noise one is an interesting principle & would be pretty easy to code, but I suspect that it would be more annoying than atmospheric. Players should be rewarded for listening out properly for sounds; hearing random noises would push Thievery towards being a game of chance.

(Incase, you think the above two paragraphs contradict eachother, then it must just be than has randomly got freaked out by certain shadows because I haven't seen any thieves for 10mins)

Comment

Originally posted by DeepQantas
            Oh, and Fatboy should be slow and noisome.
            I'm adding an option so that fatter players are slower. Should encourage teams to spread the loot out more, as opposed to one player getting it all.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
              I'm adding an option so that fatter players are slower. Should encourage teams to spread the loot out more, as opposed to one player getting it all.
              Which will make it nearly impossible for a thief whose team has been eliminated to be able to win.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                Originally posted by The_Dan
                Which will make it nearly impossible for a thief whose team has been eliminated to be able to win.
                Hence the word "option". Whenever in doubt about a function, allow people to turn it off.

It's not meant to be uber-game-balance mutator, its just meant to make people fat

(Note: I can't access the Mod Menu in Thievery, so settings will have to be changed in the .ini file but I haven't learnt how to use UWindows yet anyway so I guess it makes my job easier)

Comment

Fatboy works visually, although I've had a few hitches with getting the speed to change. Also, I keep forgetting to put in an addition so that corpses of fat thieves will also be fat.

TorchExtinguisher should work, I haven't tested it yet.

Gibs is just being annoying. It seems to have a certain element of randomness in it & most gib-related functions were purposely taken out of thievery to minimise lag.

Comment

For that 'jumpy bot' behavior, you could just make a "SuspiciousGenerator" and spawn a few of them at random PathNodes:
                    [code:1:caf5c65e6b]//================================================== ===========================
                    // MJumpyBots.
                    //================================================== ===========================
                    class MJumpyBots expands Mutator;

var bool Initialized;

function PostBeginPlay()
                    {
                    local PathNode N;

if (Initialized)
                    {
                    return;
                    }
                    Initialized = True;

foreach AllActors(class'PathNode', N) // Finds PathNode points
                    {
                    if (FRand() <= 0.1) // 10% chance
                    {
                    Spawn(class'SuspiciousGenerator',,, N.Location); // Spawns SuspiciousGenerator
                    }
                    }
                    }[/code:1:caf5c65e6b]
                    ]V[]V[

Comment

Interesting idea, but I would need to expand slightly on the above code since it would be best to delete the SuspiciousGenerators after a certain amount of time. I would just have to use an array of references to SuspiciousGenerators, and delete them once in a while.

Alternatively, we could just have one SuspiciousGenerator and randomly move it between pathnodes. Bots shouldn't get freaked out too often or they'll become too unreliable for guard-players.

The main problem is that I'd like bots to potentially see false thieves anywhere (not just pathnodes, which would rule out rooftops/sniper-positions/etc). I'm in two minds over whether they should use supplies on checking for a thief, but they should definately show interest in a seemingly random area.

Comment

Ah, I know. Keep the pathnode jumper, but also make a few that are dropped from a random pawn and sits waiting for a minute or so before activating. That way they would be suspicious about anywhere pawns might go.

Or maybe black rats with random scurrying about and visibility-transparancy so they might even fool human guards...
                        ]V[]V[

Comment

Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                          Ah, I know. Keep the pathnode jumper, but also make a few that are dropped from a random pawn and sits waiting for a minute or so before activating. That way they would be suspicious about anywhere pawns might go.

Or maybe black rats with random scurrying about and visibility-transparancy so they might even fool human guards...
                          I really don't know what I'll do, I don't want to produce anything complicated at the mo. Guards shouldn't go rushing across the map on a mutator-created hunch that a thief might be there.

Feel free to try programming a version of this mutator yourself, & we'll see how well it works ingame. I can't promise that my method willl be the best.

Comment

Working...
                          X