Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zid's Official Mappin' Thread (Final Name)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zid's Official Mappin' Thread (Final Name)

Thievery maps. There just aren't enough different ones. So I have decided to try, along with all the other mappers. However, I'm pretty darn new to this mapping experience. I've got some help in TUT player Flitch, and this forum , not to mention the TUT site mapping guide, but I still think that "This first map o' mine... I don't think it will be a 'hit'." Considering that I still got problems with UED and getting the exit zone to work this may take a while for me to make the map i'm working on: one that may not end up with extravagant decorations like some other maps . But I'll hope it's at least good for gameplay.

So far I've got a basic entrance area. That's it. More will be added, of course, but I'm too lazy tonight. The map has no real name yet... but here's a rundown of the story.

The thieves are in the area of the Black Market, where they may trade in all that loot they've stolen over the years for lots o' $$$. The problem is that a building known as the 'Protection Fortress' (awfully creative right? ) is in the way. The thieves must make it through the fortress, where they will be very close to the market. The fortress is home to many guards, though, so they'll have to be careful.

Objectives: Get to the region of the Black Market by safely getting through the fortress.

Now this may raise controversy. I know what some people are thinking ... "OMG MAJOR EXIT CAMPAGE OMG!!!". But I will make it difficult to do this, I hope... in this map I hope that I can get it so that the guards aren't just camping objectives, but rather doing what they should... HUNTIN down thieves ! .

I'm guessing I have 1-5% done on the main structure (bad, huh. ) When I get more done I'll make it public in this thread. (Unless it's OMG LOCKD) If anyone wants to test it after I've got some more finished, give me a PM or tell me in this thread.

All Your Loot Are Belong To Me, by the way. :grin:

OMG L1K3 3-MAL 2 M3 NOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!111!!!1!!!
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by Zidane
      I'm guessing I have 1-5% done on the main structure (bad, huh. )
      "A journey of 1000 miles begins with but a single step."

Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
        Don't do it. Ever.
        (AKA Dresden)
        Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

welcome to mapping, I just started month before last, youll find some great help on this forum, these guys have the answer to anything
          "Shivers running down my spine,
          whos blood? I know its mine.
          -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Originally posted by NeoPendragon
            Originally posted by CrouchingDork
            Don't do it. Ever.

Seriously though, I'd be glad to test it and tell you what you did wrong.

The only constant is change.
            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

First, a reply to all that have replied: (lol) :lol:

CD: I like the enthusiasm there. However, it's not in a testing range yet.
              LR: Quote very true, and thnx.
              NeoP: And why not?
              killed: nifty!

The map AT THIS MOMENT contains:

a crappy rectangular thiefspawn area,
              entry to fort (need to get a door in there !),
              passage to nowhere yet,
              stairs to where the basement area will be,
              ladder to an upper floor, where there is a connection to the thief spawn. To get up there, however, you either need to ghost/fly, or summon a thweaponcrossbowold, both of which are cheating. Need to get a way so vine arrow can get there, yet have that part of the fort still look natural.

Currently have 1 'bug':
              If your don't click 'join thieves' soon after the map starts up, then thieves automatically win despite the presence of 1 guard. Don't know exactly why.

The map is really small, byte-wise. Currently a measly 99.9 KB. (Smaller than the satellite map levels :lol: )

More updates to come as I work, which I'm about to start again. Probably will only get a 1/2 hour maximum now tho.

Thanks to all who show any interest in the map.

Comment

Addendum to last post... Updates! Added a new way in, but unfortunately, it's unreachable . Added the framework for a dining room. Lots o' 'unrolled scrolls' added as notes of the locations. And spiders may come soon after :twisted: ... the bad thing i noticed while tesing is that a small jump is required to get up the steps from the basement area . Don't know when that will be changed, but, oh well.

The map is now over 100 KB (and there was much rejoicing [monty python reference there] :grin: ). If you give me an email that can support that much, i might send it to you... or i might just get it to DP so that he can post my alpha .00000000000000000000000000000000000(and many more)1 version of the map on the ToB site. That would be most efficient, i think. Unless I get Flitch to get it on his website (doubtful). For now, let me just say... "And that's it. I'm going to bed". Hey, I should get some sleep if I want to get anything done on the map tomorrow...

Comment

Interesting concept...
                  To raise tension during the game , use Spider - like objectives , with "N switches to go" messages and evil monsters/haunts to be released. And build multiple kitchens (like in Stronghold) to let thieves steal usefull stuff inside the fortress (and loot also)

To make sure thieves use teamplay to escape : give 2/3 the needed loot to each of them , so they have to either loot the entire fortress or simultaneously escape.

There would be loot locations at spawn (mostly empty at start) to be filled with returned loot.

Comment

lol, stak, i thought i made the point that i'm fairly new to mapping... don't think i know how to do that kinda stuff yet
                    But i think it's coming along ok

Comment

For the love of everything holy. COME UP WITH SOMETHING A LITTLE MORE ORIGINAL THAN SPIDERS! *cough* /me goes back to lurking
                      edit:"thats not to say that you have spiders in your map. But its been overdone already so take this as sort of a mapping 'tip' if you will."
                      FOR GODS GLORY!!

Comment

Originally posted by hallowedwarrior
                        For the love of everything holy. COME UP WITH SOMETHING A LITTLE MORE ORIGINAL THAN SPIDERS! *cough* /me goes back to lurking
                        edit:"thats not to say that you have spiders in your map. But its been overdone already so take this as sort of a mapping 'tip' if you will."
                        So, what you're saying is, "More spiders!!"?

Comment

Not so loud someone might hear! /me goes off to confuse more people on random subjects.
                          FOR GODS GLORY!!

Comment

Another update... more zonez, torches, and another room or two. (yup, i'm not working too hard on this one yet )

And I forgot this... The Ancient Tomb... Check it out. It's a pre-alpha version of a map I and Flitch have been workin on. Won't be able to do more work till summer tho . It'll probably end up being a good map. Try to find all the secrets so far without cheating (ghost/fly, using UED). And Don't Even Try Killing The Spidars(yes i know it is spider) Unless You Want To Spend Half An Hour Blastin Away With UDamage/Redeemer Combo. They gotz too many HP's to kill easily. Not that that is a BAD thing :twisted: :twisted: (they don't attack people... well, most of them don't.) Zoning isn't the greatest attribute of the map, yet, anyway.
                            (Oh yea. And that note in the guardstockroom doesn't matter... yet :twisted:

Go on, DL it and send comments. I'm sure Flitch and I can take em

Comment

Hey Zid! i'll be a beta tester! PLEEEEZ?

Yeah. I'm working on guard dogs in a map of mine, but the .zip file is huge enough already, without the skins.

Does anyone know a good skin editor? I don't think one came with my UT CD.
                              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Working...
                              X