custom objects/objects.u files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom objects/objects.u files

I was wondering if anyone had considered creating customs objects. I was wondering if anyone knew how one might go about adding custom objects to their maps within ut. I havent been able to figure out how to edit the objects.u file and its pissing me off. Any suggestions (beyond the stupid ones) would help.

FOR GODS GLORY!!

Oh dear,

Editing a default TUT package = Screwed-up installation

You can't edit the default packages, or your version of Thievery won't be compatible with anyone elses. Create your new objects in a new package, & then load that package whenever you edit your map.

Further Note: So do you actually know how to create a subclass in UED? May aswell start with the basics.

Comment

Im not exactly UED literate( I dont understand all the jargon but know how to use the editor). If it would not be to much trouble could you explain step by step how to go about making a whole new "package". I know this is a bit much but Im not sure wat you mean. So if you could I would be much obliged.
      FOR GODS GLORY!!

Comment

Right, try this out:

1. Open up UED

2. Open the class browser and locate the class that your object will be based upon

3. Right click on it and select New

4. In the window that pops up you can enter the name of the class, & the name of the package in which this class will be contained. It's pretty obvious which goes where.

5. Once you click OK, you will be shown the script window for your new class
        (& also, rather annoyingly, all of the branches in the class browser will have been collapsed, just showing 'Actor')

6. Edit the script, & set its default properties as you wish.

VERY IMPORTANT TWO STEPS:

7. In the script window, go to the tools menu & select "Compile Changed"

8. Go back to the class browser, & in the view menu select "View Packages". Now make sure that your new package is selected in the list of packages, & click the Save button (or select "Save Selected Packages" from the File menu).

9. Thats it, the package should now reside in your system directory, containing the relevant script. If you use this script in a user-map, be sure to distribute the package with the map.

Hope this solves whatever you were having problems with before.

Comment

Cool beans! this helps me alot. Problem is Im no scripter. Im trying to learn C++ but the book I bought sucks so Im not getting anywere fast. Im not sure how im supposed to go about editing the script and wat editing the script will do for me. Another question I have is how do I create a new object and put it into the new package that was created. Wat file type is this new package. I know this is pretty bad but im new to this whole sceen. Ive made custom objects for other things before but not UT and its not as straight forward as the others. If you could point me in the right direction I would be most obliged.

hallowedwarrior
          FOR GODS GLORY!!

Comment

Originally posted by hallowedwarrior
            Cool beans! this helps me alot. Problem is Im no scripter. Im trying to learn C++ but the book I bought sucks so Im not getting anywere fast. Im not sure how im supposed to go about editing the script and wat editing the script will do for me.
            I haven't tried C++, but you're planning on becoming a regular UScript user then I suggest you learnt a few basics in Java. UScript is based upon Java, & learning Java will help you to get your head around the basics of object-orientated programming.

Originally posted by hallowedwarrior
            Another question I have is how do I create a new object and put it into the new package that was created. Wat file type is this new package.
            It's exactly the same process, just enter the name for your existing package, instead of the name of the a new package.
            Ie. When you try to create a new class, UED will check if the package already exists; if it does exist then that package is used, otherwise a fresh package is created with that name.

By default packages have a .u extension & will reside in your system directory. (However, packages of .utx, .umx & .uax are also of the same format, & are used conventionally to store just textures/music/sounds in the appropriate directory)

Any more questions?

Comment

I'm trying to fit my head around this. I'm also trying to make myself as clear as possibe(so work with me here). In Thief I used a totally new program that I downloaded off the internet to create my custom object. I cant remember wat it was called now. But this is the sort of thing I'm referring to in this post. I think we are on the same page here. Im just trying to make sure we are though. If you could clear up some of the jargon your using and make it into laymans terms it might help me to understand wat your saying. (maybe some screenshots or something) I know, I know I'm total newb to this but hey we all gotta start somewere any help in this regard is always appreciated. (heck the simple fact you responded at all is a blessing from God. usually no one says anything meaningfull in the forums I go to) thanks

hallowed
              FOR GODS GLORY!!

Comment

Erm, to be honest I don't know which bits of my explanation were jargon, & which were understandable. I'm stuck in the situation that "It all made sense to me" so you'll need to tell me which bits don't make sense to you.

To be completely honest, the problems you're having are apparently down to you not being familiar with the engine/language used (it took me the best part of a month to get confortable with UED), & so I suggest that you look for a proper UScript/UED reference website; as opposed to me explaining the entirety of the software.

(By the way, I'm not intentionally being patronising, it just seems to somehow occur whenever people ask me to explain stuff)

Comment

Here's the tuts that got me started on uscript:
                  http://planetunreal.com/wod/tutorials/
                  ]V[]V[

Comment

Thanks MM! that site is really helpful.

I'm a little confused wiht the scripting language though. It doesn't seem like Java or C++ (which is what i'm used to), but instead a little of each.

Again, I'm starting with map conversions, since i'm a noob mapper too.

Thanks, word.
                    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Working...
                    X