TimedTrigger Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TimedTrigger Question

I've tried to get a TimedTrigger hooked up to a Damage instigator/Special Event. I've tried every way I can think of to get a 'delay' of a few seconds out of the Special Event and it will not work. In fact, when I use a timed trigger the damage doesn't occur....Only regular UT triggers seem to work in tandem with the Special Event. Could someone explain how its done in detail? I've noticed the TimedTrigger doesn't have a collision hull around it until I activate the bcollideactors to true - anyhow, I've tried this both ways, true and false, I've tried adding an extra trigger to trigger the timed trigger to trigger the SE.... no go....

please help... is what I'm doing even possible?
    ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Replace timedtrigger with a dispatcher... i think

Comment

What you'll want is a normal UT trigger which triggers a dispatcher. The dispatcher can then trigger the special event after a delay. Dispatchers are your friend.
      It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Sorry to be a pain, but....

I have now experimented with a Dispatcher and am getting the same results, zippo..... I used a regular plain old ut trigger, put the tag of the Dispatcher into the uttrigger event, then put the Special Event's tag into the Dispatchers Out Events.
        I set the Out Delay to 5....but nothing. I've interchanged the tags and event names in every combination I can think of, still nothing. I've put a simple door mover in the mix; put the tag of the door into the Dispatcher Out Event and left the Out Delay at 5 and behold!!!...the door opened after a 5 second delay. So the Dispatcher does work. And the utTrigger. I've also tried getting rid of the Dispatcher and just putting the tag of the Special Event/Damage Instigator into the Event of the plain old utTrigger and behold!!!....I'm damaged with pain, instantly.... so the Special Event works....but I wanted to have a time delay before the pain....I've read through all the tuts I have regarding the use of Dispatchers but fail to see where I'm going wrong. Please tell me that it's something incredibly simple right under my nose!! ...god I need a tylenol.

Any help would be appreciated :cry:
        ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

On a related note:

Does anyone know how to make a frob-death trigger? You frob a certain object and it kills the player. I've already figured out how to make it random..........
          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

1. Make a specialevent set to "killinstigator"
            2. Set the frob event of the object to the tag of the specialevent

Comment

Are you sure a random death from frobbing something is what you want to inflict on your players?

According to a book on dungeon design for budding D&D DMs I read once, you should never put anything in your level that kills a player without giving him an opportunity to save himself in some way. Otherwise your players will get frustrated.

jmho

Comment

Well, you could not frob whatever it is, I suppose...

Comment

Assuming you know that the frobbing of that object may cause your death...

What I'm saying is that the player should be warned beforehand, not just go and grab that switch or handle and suddenly BANG dead for no reason (that he knows of).

You shouldn't rely on the fact that "he can just respawn and he'll know better next time"

Radamanthus may have intended to warn the player all along, I'm just asking the question in case it was something he had not thought of.

Comment

Working...
                  X