New Maps *screenshots coming soon!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Maps *screenshots coming soon!*

I'm trying to make a few maps for thievery, and i'm having SOMe limited success. If you've got any hints or tips to make the going quicker, i might have one out in a month.

um.....Secret places are good. I have at lest 30 in one of my projects, and i'm thinking of including an anti-secret version, for processor-unfriendly computers. Good idea or bad idea?

P.S. I play under a new name, and i'm trying ot change my forum name, but it won't let me! How can i do that?
    yes
    0%
    no
    0%
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Some of these will be relative to mapping in general others more specific so bear with me.

1.) do something original: we've seen spiders in about a THOUSAND levels lets try to keep these creative juices flowing people.

2.) atmoshpere atmoshpere atmoshpere: Try to make your level look and play like you would expect it to in real life while not lacking in the area of ingenuity. This will allow new players to easily get the layout of the land.

3.)ORGANIZE: making a level can be REALLY bothersome if not organized correctly so take every oppurtunity to make the level organized both on the actual mapping end (so that you can understand your level while editing) but also on the players end (so they can understand your level while playing it).

4.)Dont jump into the pool head first: I've tried many times to just start by creating a new map cause I've got this cool idea.(its the way I am :lol: ) But its better to test out others maps and to just go around in game and look at how they did things and start critiquing how they could have done things better. Then look at their levels in the editor and try to fix the things you thought were poorly done. Then mess around with other levels and create things and change things. This will give you some experience with the editor without you actually having created any real "map" yet.

5.)Dont put too much on your plate: If you have a cool idea for a new object/texture/model/script try getting other people to join you in colaberative project instead of trying to go learn things from scratch (this is of course assuming you have no experience in object texture model or script making for the game).

6.) Beta test it: Try having a large number of people beta testing it before release to the public (Note: make sure you outline the things you want them to check for. If you think the AI may be wrong in some way. Explain to them wat you think may be wrong and ask them to check it for you.).

7.) Decoration: Some levels have been simple with little decoration but have been big hits. Why? Because the people have found ingenious ways of making their levels loook cool with little use of actual objects. Use the brushes to their fullest advantage.

8.)One thing at a time: Dont rush into making a leve by making a room then making all the decoration then putting AI in it. Take it a step at a time. Start by actually building all the brushes for the level then when thats done go back and decorate. Trust me youll still remember what you had wanted to put in that room 2 days after you build it. Then go back and add the AI.

9.) Ambient sounds: the thing about Thief was the ambient sounds were cool. Make sure you have those within your level to give it that extra umph. WHen placing them consider the atmoshpere you want to create and place accordingly. (note: outside sounds should be different from inside sounds. Make sure to cover all the entrances to your building so that the ambient sound actually changes.)

10.)Forums: They are here for a reason. Use them. But watch how you act in them. Asking randomly stupid questions like "HEEELLPP! How do you scale a brush." That you could have easily answered yourself with a little research will not receive much attention except a nice flaming of your butt. Also the way you word questions is important explain THOUROUGHLY your problem and the people will be able to answer your question faster. There is also an IRC chat room you can go to. Just go the www.thief-thecircle.com then go to community then to chat room it brings up an applet when you enter the chat rooms type in "/join #thievery" you may find some help in there

11.) Good luck: Welcome to UT mapping and good luck.

NOTE: some of this information was used assuming you were new to UTthievery and thief. I apologize if some of it was offensive in that it seemed I thought you were ignorant. Dont take it personally just trying to cover all the bases.

HAllowedwarrior
    FOR GODS GLORY!!

Comment

You shouldn't necessarily have to take secrets out to make your map more processor-friendly.

Make the most of zoning your map; if some of these secrets consist of hidden passageways/corridors/rooms then you should consider zoning these off so the engine won't have to consider them unless the player is nearby.

Comment

Ummm.. I've taken all that into account, hallowedwarrior, and have begun by doing simple conversions of great UT maps. I've also made this thread for any more issues that may come up, though there aren't any right now. THe map file itself is 13 Mbs, without including all the custom music, textures, etc. and i think cutting down for my first release might be a good idea. THnx for the tips on zoning and such. For secrets: look for "classic UT things" to keep the map fun after a few months of playing. I have a maze which leads to Indiana jones "leap of faith" type things, more ideas on later maps. I currently have 3 beta testers on my list

*note: BETA TESTERS WANTED! PM me!*

AS for acting on forums.......

I changed my name for a reason. YOu won't ever see the name Radamanthus online again for "behavior-related reasons" I didn't like the way I acted, and neither did other people. My other forum name isn't working, so i have to work on that.

Great tips Oh Hallowed One! Thanks!

DAn: zoning so the processor won't need ot put it into the memory is ingenious. I'm a VERY new mapper, so i wouldn't have thought of it on my own. I might be able to work a little more freely now. Thanks y'all!
        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
          DAn: zoning so the processor won't need ot put it into the memory is ingenious. I'm a VERY new mapper, so i wouldn't have thought of it on my own. I might be able to work a little more freely now. Thanks y'all!
          Ah, well just to be expand upon what I said (since I may aswell give you a proper explanation of how zones work):

When an area is put into a seperate zone, the engine won't try to render it unless the player can actually 'see' an entrance into that zone.

Ie. If you place a zone-portal over the doorway to one room, then the engine will never attempt to render that room unless the player is either:
          -In the room
          or
          -Looking at the doorway (& hence, the zone portal)

You can have up to 64 different zones in your map, so feel free to go wild and zone off every building/outdoor-area/corridor/etc.

Comment

What happens if i go over that number?...

Comment

The engine will automatically merge some zones, until you have only 64 zones left.

I have no idea if there is any particular order in which zones are merged, & so for all I know the engine could just go ahead & merge all the large zones together (ie. worse case scenario). This is not good, & so you would be a lot safer keeping the zone count at 64 or less, so at least that way you have control over the zones.

(Note: You can always check the current number of zones, in the properties section of the "Build" window)

(Further Note: Incase you didn't know, water areas are also zones, & so if you exceed the 64-zone limit, then I guess there is nothing stopping the engine from merging some regular zones with your water zones, & suddenly chunks of your level are underwater )

Comment

Gimme my beta!

I'd be glad to test it.

(Go away LR)
                The only constant is change.
                (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                  Gimme my beta!

I'd be glad to test it.

(Go away LR)
                  You're missing the obvious here.

The name of the fish is actually "betta".

Comment

Originally posted by hallowedwarrior
                    some of this information was used assuming you were new to UTthievery and thief.

HAllowedwarrior
                    UTT? never heard of it...what's it like? i might wanna try it out sometime!
                    http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
                    -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
                    -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
                    -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

lol, great avatar DP. and Rad, give me a beta copy or ELSE (roar) lol. well, maybe not "or else".

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                        Gimme my beta!

I'd be glad to test it.

(Go away LR)
                        You're missing the obvious here.

The name of the fish is actually "betta".
                        GO AWAY LR.

Comment

GO AWAY LR.
                          LMAO!

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                            GO AWAY LR.
                            LMAO!
                            Is that a typo? I didn't think you laugh.

Anyways, where's my pre-release version?

Comment

Is that a typo? I didn't think you laugh.

I laugh ALL the time, where you're concerned.

Comment

Working...
                              X