Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Botpathing stairs and ladders-best methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Botpathing stairs and ladders-best methods?

Any guidlines;/tips/tricks/do it and die thoughts concerning the botpathing of stairs and ladders? Thanks.
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

A couple of tips:

Check Th-Spider & Th-Korman for some pathnoded ladders (incase you aren't sure how to go about making bots using them).

Spiral staircases are generally a pain to get "just right", so try not to use too many of them, unless you enjoy spending a few hours of your life moving pathnodes pixel by pixel.

Comment

try to avoid using 2 side-by-side spiral or curved staircases: bots for some reason want to go between them don't want to go down one to get to the other, and fall between them. not fun for gaming. Also: make a masked rail of some sort: a low 1/2 foot wall that's invisible so hat you can't fall off without jumping. many a life has been lost (however funny it is) to people going up the staircase in spider, only to turn too fast at the top.
      for now, that's all. pathnoding should be the same a anywhere else for staircases: just right-click on every 3rd step or so and add a pathnode.

I hopei was useful: have fun!
      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Thanks for the responces. Some more specific questions:

1) How does the TBotLadder differ from a normal liftcenter?

2) Effect of changing TBotLadder MaxZdiffAdd? neede for high ladders?

3) Effect of changing TBotLadder MaxDist2D?

4) Do I need/ is it preferable to match the LiftExit and/or the Event Tags of the Lift Exit with the Ladder Event Tag?

5) Do I need/ is it preferable to match the LiftCenter and/or the Event Tags of the TBotLadder with the Ladder Event Tag?

6) How best to position the TBotLadder relative to the LiftExits? Do I treat it like a normal UT lift and LiftCenter?

7) Do I need to be concerned with line-of-sight when working with the LiftExit and TBotLadder actors?

8) For long stairwells, is it better to use LiftExits and LiftCenters instead of numerous Pathnode actors?

9) I have gotten some nice, blue path lines directly between Pathnodes and a LiftExit a couple levels ABOVE them when in line-of-sight, bypassing any usable path to get there. Should I worry about this? Is there any setting I can use to fix this?

Thanks again.
        Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
        Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

ummm.. I've seen liftexits and liftcenters used for long stairways(the original author of my map conversion did) but i would reccomend using them for ladders.
          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Working...
          X