Node Side limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Node Side limit

When I check the log window after doing a build of my map, I find the followoing:

Warning: Node side limit reached

Anybody know what this means? Should I be worried? IHow do I ifix and/or avoid this?

Also does anyone know how to redirect the log output to file or increase the number of lines it keeps?

Thanks
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

well I would be worried because just recently my map crashed on build with a wonderful message saying Critical Error: MAX NODES REACHED- thankfully I'd saved before hand. Maybe your maps too big but i'm no expert (thats what caused mine) 8)
    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

didnt know aboutthis limit...maybe it's just if you have too damn many in one room/sight... O_O
      http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
      -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
      -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
      -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

too many pathnodes too close together will give yoyu all kinds of strange errors. depends on what the comp wants to say

try to space them at least 2 UnrealUnits apart, and at least the same from the floor: chest height. I'm not sure if it has to be changed for thievery, sinceeverythihng's shorter.
        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
          too many pathnodes too close together will give yoyu all kinds of strange errors. depends on what the comp wants to say.
          He said nodes, not pathnodes. Nodes refer to the different areas of a surface that are processed when the engine builds the BSP.

Erm, that made no sense, so just look at your map in zone/BSP view: you see how a lot of the surfaces have been seperated into different shaded rectangles or other odd shapes, each one of those different shaded areas is a node.

For reference, a poly is the entire surface itself. Ie. the wall of a cuboid room is one poly, but may be split into several nodes.

If I've got one of them wrong or the wrong way around, then feel free to correct me.

I believe using semi-solids instead of solids, where possible, will reduce your node count.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

As this is my first map ever, i ahve been experimenting and bending some of the rules. to see what can be accomplished. That may be part of my problem. The map does build succesfully build and is playable, though occaisonally I get some strange phenomena.

Does anybody know what the max limit of the of nodes you can have? I will be reducing the current node count of the map. To confirm I know what the node is:
            - A typical cube has 6 nodes (assuming none of the faces have been split)
            - A recrangular base (ie 4 sided) pyramid has 5 nodes (again assuming none of the faces have been split)

What is a "node side"? I have some suspicions, but no real information on the subject.

Does anybody know any way of reading the full build log after the fact? There are other error and warnings that appear to be present as the map builds, but they scroll by too fast to read. When the build is done, they are not avaialble as there is a limit to the number of lines the log tracks.

Thanks again
            Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
            Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

SRRY! i don't know any lingo, and nodes and pathnodes are pretty similar sounding!

Anyway, it's in the caches(in your UT file folder). Just get a cache editor online (i don't know any good ones as of now, the one i use sux.)

Except, every time the engine is started, it logs in the cache, so ther'es not really any way to tell which is wich, except by opening the last one on the list RIGHT after playing.

note: don't use notepad. It;s just a bunch of symbols tht mean nothing if u do.
              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Found the log file I was looking for:

\\unrealtournament\\system\Editor.log

Format: Ascii

Comment

WTF kind of a map do you have if you reach the node side limit anyway?

i mean, that many nodes is ASKING a BSP hole to walk right in and crash the party (and the computer).

Or it's REALLY REALLY big.

Comment

Working...
                  X