Couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple questions

1) Is it possible to simulate cloth flapping in the wind somehow? It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate or anything, although it does have to tangible.

2) Could a climbable rope be diagonal instead of vertical, and still allow a player to move along it?

3) I've heard mention of breakable windows, yet haven't seen any. Are the possible to do?

4) Is it possible to have an objective with two possible ways of completing it? For example, take X loot or steal the almighty red gem of doom.

I think that's all I had.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Originally posted by DarkBill
    1) Is it possible to simulate cloth flapping in the wind somehow? It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate or anything, although it does have to tangible.
    You're pretty much stuck with animating a texture or a mesh - if UT could simulate fabric it'd be all over the standard player models

The animated flag texture for UT CTF is the best example of fabric I've seen in UT. Another way is to make a cloth mesh and animate it. There are a couple among the standard UT decorations; the names are flag and tapestry.

2) Could a climbable rope be diagonal instead of vertical, and still allow a player to move along it?
    There's no way to rotate a collision cylinder, so only if you use a shitload of rope actors with small radii, but that'd be a messy kludge and it might not work too well at all.

3) I've heard mention of breakable windows, yet haven't seen any. Are the possible to do?
    Yes. Using a solid mover is my favorite method, but bots can't see through them. tutorial here, and there are also plenty of glass textures in GenIn.utx.

Additionally to the last bullet point in that tutorial, if you set the mover to triggertoggle (under Object) and the keyframe outside the map, that's a better way of getting it to stay broken than giving it a humongous StayOpenTime.

Don't forget to mess around with the breaking glass actor to find the right settings; I usually find it necessary to place a couple on large pieces of glass.

Another method is to use a trigger and a sheet mover, but that's a bit naff IMO. The sheet is non-solid, so bots can see through it, and the trigger picks up damage and trips the mover. The problem is that if the trigger stays in the window aperture, it will absorb projectiiles. I'm not sure if attaching it to the mover it trips will solve it. The other problem is that one radius protrudes in front of and behind the window, while multiple triggers with smaller radii to cover a space are messy.

'fraid I don't know about 4.

Comment

Maybe you could make your almight red gem of doom worth some amount loot?
      JM

Comment

Nachimir, thanks.

Originally posted by Lurox
        That was a simple example, not the actual problem.
        Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Nachimir, thanks.

Originally posted by Lurox
          That was a simple example, not the actual problem.
          I would think there'd be a way, Uscript handles simple booleans, doesn't it? "If A or B, then set objectivesmet", or something along those lines? (I don't actually know Uscript, so that's not actual code, of course.)

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
            I would think there'd be a way, Uscript handles simple booleans, doesn't it? "If A or B, then set objectivesmet", or something along those lines? (I don't actually know Uscript, so that's not actual code, of course.)
            That's what I was thinking, but I also know very little about mapping, and nothing about how objectives are handled.

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir
              There's no way to rotate a collision cylinder, so only if you use a shitload of rope actors with small radii, but that'd be a messy kludge and it might not work too well at all.
              There are objectives with collision areas that are diagonal recangles -- for example, the rafters in Warehouse. Is there some way to apply a rope property to an object like that, or it not work that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir
                There are objectives with collision areas that are diagonal recangles -- for example, the rafters in Warehouse. Is there some way to apply a rope property to an object like that, or it not work that way?
                That's not a collision cylinder, that's a solid or semisolid brush.

Anyone who knows about mapping, correct me if I'm wrong, please....

They're also not objectives, they're geometry.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat

That's not a collision cylinder, that's a solid or semisolid brush.

Anyone who knows about mapping, correct me if I'm wrong, please....

They're also not objectives, they're geometry.
                  I'm quite aware the rafters aren't objectives, I meant to say objects. ^_^

I just wasn't entirely sure how ropes were handled, and if you could make a brush ropelike somehow... I should probably read up on mapping before asking more stupid questions. ^_^

Comment

Concerning a diagonal rope:

Yes, a thin cylinder brush, or, perhaps a masked(?)correct me if I'm wrong volumetric brush (thats partially transparent except for the rope part) and then an invisible brush immediately underneath to allow 'crawling up' without falling off. It should be possible to do one thats horizontal or any angle as well if you wished. Say, for instance, a tightrope effect...
                    ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

I just wasn't entirely sure how ropes were handled, and if you could make a brush ropelike somehow... I should probably read up on mapping before asking more stupid questions. ^_^
                      Ladders and ropes in Thievery, if I read correctly and if they're in fact climbable, have a special kind of "non-collision" radius around them (in the case of vine arrows, this is spawned when the arrow hits, with mapped ropes and ladders, it's set by the mapper), that allows z-axis movement. It's my understanding that that cylinder can't be rotated (ie, must be vertical).

I have no idea if this would work, but maybe you could have a series of these cylinders, with a very low height, stacked and offset on a diagonal? One problem that would occur with that is that it would be very easy to "fall out" the lower edge of those cylinders. There might be others relating to map performance or what happens when you cross from one of those cylinders to another, I don't know. It also seems like it would be nearly impossible to code it to spawn such an arrangement upon the impact of an arrow, so it would be limited to being a map feature only.

Dammit, where's TDan when you need him?

Comment

For some actors (tapestires, etc), if you set Physics to PHYS_WALKING, you will get a nice effect. (Korman and Stronghold use this among others). For custom meshes, I suspect you would need to add the animation, but never have tried it so I am not sure.

As mentioned, the ladder actor cannot be rotated. Would be nice if it did though.

A seeminlgy related question I have is how to create a zone such that the player physics changes to PHYS_SPIDER (if this is possible and has desired effect). This setting is supposed to enable an actor to walk on Horizontal and Vertical planes. Would be useful for creating scalable walls. LADDER/ROPE actor does not work well since it only allows up/down movement. With some doing, this type of zone might be applied to angled rope, all be it with risk for the player.

4) Is it possible to have an objective with two possible ways of completing it? For example, take X loot or steal the almighty red gem of doom.
                        I do not know, but have a similar question that could possibly be used in your case also: Is it possible to set your objectives such that completion requires only 2 out of 3 to be achieved? (ie. do 2 of these 3 things: 1) get x loot, 2) get Y object, 3) press button z).

Was going to post above questions soon (might still), but this seemed like a good time.
                        Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                        Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Working...
                        X