Ued2 Gen Protect Fault problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ued2 Gen Protect Fault problem

I think I'm in need of medical assistance here... And I'm not entirely sure I'm at the right Topic area...sorry if I'm not, I'm just not convinced yet this is a bug. My Ued2 worked just a few days ago...

Here's whats happening:

I start up Ued2. I call up my map. I attempt to place a light on my map in the 3dviewer. I attempt to adjust its position on the map by using the other three 2d grid views like I have always done. Then SPLATT!! everything goes black in 3d view - as if my map disappeared and the familiar black with grid appears, only thing is; all the movers are hovering in the exact positions they should be were the map still there. Also, my mouse becomes inoperable - meaning I can't find the cursor. The only way to get out of this so far has been to reboot or Control Alt Delete; and when I C-A-D and Ued2 shuts down, this window pops up:

Critical Error!

General Protection Fault!

History: URender::OccludeFrame <-UeditorEngine::Tick<- Update World <-MainLoop

Anyone know what this means, and how I can fix? It's been happening consistantly today.

:cry:
    ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

You aren't placing the light ouside of the level, in the "viod" are you? That can really screw up UED and the computer its running on.
    (AKA Dresden)
    Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

lol.....no

Comment

UED Rule #1. Re-install UT

UED Rule #2. Try #1 again. :|
        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Sounds like an occlusion error, any mention of ClipBSPSurf?

If so, load the map, then without moving in the viewports do a full geometry and BSP rebuild. Save, then try moving around. If it still does it, there might be a FUBAR brush causing it, which you'll have to hunt for in the 2D views... it's usually one that has fucked up during brush clipping, I find.

Comment

yeah Nachimir helped me with this problem too- I got rid of it with build lighting but I still get it from time to time. But the best is to do a build all as soon as possible but even then it is sometimes best to delete the most recent brushes and remake if build all crashes with the error.

As a warning to other mappers you can be lucky and ued just crashes- BUT!!! if you save and then a few seconds later you get the black 3d view with movers you may find (like I did) that ued corrupted your map and there is absolutely no way to get it back :cry: Five times I lost my map thanks to this error but thankfully I know ued too well and keep many many backups 8)
            [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Hand it to Nachimir to solve the problem!

Well Done! Yes, I found that a rebuild or two does the trick.
              Phew!! That took a load off my mind!! I know at first glance this would seem obvious to some mappers, but since I'd just done a full rebuild I figured the job had been done.

I'm not sure why this started happening out of the blue, but I did get two differing messages, one of which was the 'phrase' you mentioned, the "clipBSPsurf" did show up in the Critical Error message a few times. And since I suck at BSP surfing....

It seems strange too that more than one rebuild is sometimes necessary. It's as if the first one didn't finish all the rebuilding it was supposed to. Sometimes too, BSP's will be there one rebuild, then gone the next... weird!

And thanks Chief! ...you were right. I'm in the habit of keeping a copy of every major rebuild I do, just in case.

Comment

a good idea would be to do as much placing as you can in 3D views, then go to 2D only after selecting the brush

On a similar note, I load up my map, and the title bar says its open, but nohting appears. whazzupwiddat?

sorry if i'm getting off-topic, but this is as close as i can get to my own problem.
                "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

A missing package? Make sure it has a "TH-" at the beginning of the filename and try to play it from within TUT; If it's the case it'll give you an error box with something like "Missing package *"

Comment

To Rad,

Good Question, wish I knew. I've had that happen with maps sent to me by other people, but not my own. In one case it turned out that a file was missing that was meant to be sent with the map. Also, I've heard that if one person's config of Ued2 is different from anothers, or whether there's different textures, sounds, etc from one Ued and not in another Ued, that this too can render a map difficult to open. The situation sounds familiar... but I'm not sure really what's going on with yours. Better someone else answer this.

Comment

I think i can answer it now

It's WinXP's configs that screw up UED. THis may be the problem with you too. I suggest ( if you're running XP, that you upgrade temporarily to win2003 ( it's in public release beta on the official windows website). that may solve the problem, but it may cause more, since it IS in beta. (also make sure you have backups).

THanks for the hint with the configs.
                      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

I'm a W98 kinda guy myself and it seems to work just fine with Ued.

Comment

That's actually an age-old problem from the dark days of Ued1.0 and is usually a sign that your level is starting to get a weeny bit more detailed than the engine would like.

Basically your BSP cuts are so complicated that when the engine tries to update the light in the 3D view to reflect it's new position it creates an error as it's too complicated to calculate.

Rebuilding the level, moving the light in any view mode other than dynamic lighting or loading an old version are the best ways to get around it.

Also make sure autosave is enabled (it's turned off by default), if you crash without a save the files will be saved in the Unreal Tournament maps directory as Autosave0-9, just open the most recently saved file and you will have most of your work back.

Autosave is located in the advanced options:

Comment

nice advice thx- ill have to try to remember to turn it on 8)
                            [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Unfortunately, when runing TUT through UED2, it often freezes at certain pioints. It's easier, and much more stable, to run your map through TUT the normal way

Comment

Working...
                              X