AntiPortals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AntiPortals

Now, I realise these are used in UT2003. But I'm wondering if there is anything like them that could be implemented into Ued2. From what I've read, this would be a very handy tool...

give this a gander
    ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

WEll, you could mamke it so you have a barrier like that, with no settings (just a regular builder brush) and then split it, to make it a separate zone from the rendred area.

From what I understand, since the player's comp can't see it, it isn't rendered as the zone (which is how UT original renders: by visible zones).
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Hmmm... not sure I follow you. Could you elaborate? Make a regular builder brush, and then split? it? You mean clip it? and...
      ...to make it a separate zone from the rendred area.
      I'm not clear on what your saying here. Do you mean create a kind of 'blocking zone' between whats rendered and your position/point of view? Would that be a subtracted or added space? Or just a 'special brush'? I'm confused. :?
      Please clarify.

Comment

Anti Portals are only in UT2003 because geometry in 2003 doesn't occlude the players vision like it does in the original UT.

See the engine only renders what the player can see according to his Field Of View. If something is behind a piece of geometry then it doesn't get rendered (because the geometry it's behind blocks line of sight to it).

This is mostly used for occlusion inside a zone.

Zones improve this by only checking to see if the player can see the zone portal and if they can't nothing beyond the portal is rendered.

Anti Portals occlude in UT2003 the same way Geometry occludes in UT however due to the relativly tiny amount of BSP based geometry used in UT2003 it was no longer efficient to use geometry based occlusion as opposed to a specific volume for the job.

Anti-Portals in UT would be redundent and a duplication of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by SchizoSlayer
          Anti-Portals in UT would be redundent and a duplication of effort.
          Rather like this statement?

Comment

He hit the nail on hte head.

Exactly what I was saying, but, I was a bit more confusing wiht it.
            "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

He hit the nail on hte head.

Exactly what I was saying, but, I was a bit more confusing wiht it.
              Who hit the nail on the head?!!

Me? Schizo?

(you!)

What?!! Go away!!!

not you Rad, ( or anyone else - just forget it okay?) please explain...

( )

Comment

Working...
              X