What build setting do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What build setting do you use?

When you build the map..what do you have the settings set to? What should I have them set to?
    Geometry = Checked
    (Only ReBuild Visible Actors? = Unchecked)
    BSP = Checked
    Optimization = Optimal
    Optimize Geometry = Checked
    Build Visibilty Zones = Checked
    ----Slider bars----
    Minimize Cuts ------------- Balance Tree = 10
    Ignore Portals -------------- Portals Cut All = 75
    Lighting = Checked
    (Apply selected lights = Unchecked)
    Build Paths = Checked

When I was using my slow computer, I had "Only ReBuild Visible Actors?" checked. This way I could use the groups window to hide parts of the map that I wasn't working on.

EDIT: Which, of course, reduced the build time a lot... TH-Train took about 5 minutes to build on the old comp, but that checkbox allowed me to just build a small part of the train (normally just one or two cars) which took maybe a minute at the most.
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

It depends entirely on what I'm building. I never touch the sliders - default is optimum by all accounts. Occasionally I'll do what Big_D said to just work on a part of a map, but that depends on how big the map is and whether or not that part of it needs MyLevel content: if not I'll make it as a separate map and import it later; that way backup file sizes are kept down and I don't have to mess around so much with the snails-pace groups browser.

If you're working on one aspect of a map there's no point rebuilding the rest (Unless you're trying to get rid of a BSP error, in which case one that doesn't show up with just a geometry build may well do so with a BSP one.) Most of the time I'll just rely on geometry rebuilds, and only use BSP when I need to do a full build: if you cure every BSP error as you go along, you'll be in UED for a long time...

Comment

The bestthing to do is to NEVER screw around with the settings: the defaults are best.

I only use geometry and lighting when building the map, and only use the build all or the build settings when finishing or AI pathing.
        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

I disagree with keeping to the defaults- Recently I had a major bsp hole that build all refused to remove- so i set the sliders all the way to the right and the hole dissapeared
          [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Originally posted by [E.D.G
            Chief]I disagree with keeping to the defaults- Recently I had a major bsp hole that build all refused to remove- so i set the sliders all the way to the right and the hole dissapeared
            Indeed , minimizing cuts and ignoring portals helps removing errors , particulary if you use complicated zone portals or the dreaded warp zones... but I sense it's a bad habit to take , it's better to build a "healthy" geometry first. You can't avoid BSP holes forever...

Comment

Originally posted by Stakhanov
              it's better to build a "healthy" geometry first
              Damn straight.

In the development of about 10 maps, I've only been compelled to mess with the sliders on one occasion (To make a portal work), and that's because my geo was messy as shite. The build settings are not to blame, messy building is. AFAIK, altered build slider settings will result in a not-so-optimised map.

Comment

hence the reason I never change them.

You sadi a build all helped change a bsp hole? never worked for me... :?
                "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                  You sadi a build all helped change a bsp hole?
                  No. a BSP error that happens with just a geo rebuild my be gone after a geo and BSP, conversely one that isn't there after just a geo build may be after a BSP rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                  X