Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sentry turrets

Alright, here's my problem.

In remaking shoalsgate, im planning on giving thieves alternate ways of getting in to the vault then just trough the vault door. This will however result in them entering the vault defence chamber... Without having turned off the watchers and sentry turrets.
    So far, ive added the sentry turrets from aquatone, but they are able to shoot trough walls, and far as i know you can't turn em on off, meaning they would always be on.

So what i kinda need are sentry turrets that work a bit more like those cannonball firing ones from thief 2, that would activate when a watcher saw the thief.
    They dont have to fire a cannonball, the electric beam is fine. But they shouldn't be firing trough walls.

So, anyone got ideas, scripts, etc. for this?

Use the auto cannon from UT. Kind of funny, shooting balls of plasma, dosen't fit with the tut model, but it might work....

Oh, and make sure you change the view radius so it can't shoot where it can't see.
    word.

Comment

I'll give it a shot... Dont worry bout the model, that ones easy to change.... i hope.
      But i still don't think you can deactivate it... and it shoots at everyone who enters room.

Comment

Originally posted by madmango
        Use the auto cannon from UT. Kind of funny, shooting balls of plasma, dosen't fit with the tut model, but it might work....

Oh, and make sure you change the view radius so it can't shoot where it can't see.
        That would be rad, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
          I'll give it a shot... Dont worry bout the model, that ones easy to change.... i hope.
          But i still don't think you can deactivate it... and it shoots at everyone who enters room.
          I seem to remeber a UT assault level where you could turn them off...
          It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Okay... tried it a bit.
            Yes, it needs to be triggered to be turned on. Good enough.
            But... It only turned towards me after being activated, and then halted untill it was activated again... It didn't start shooting.

Also, since there are lotsa animations and stuff the model couldn't be changed just like that... at least not with out getting a major crash when activating it.

Comment

i already tried this -the problem is that if theyre set to (eg guard team) then any other team gets killed (such as tcivilians etc. And if you make them team 1 then they show up on player list 8) Also the ut auto cannon (which fires incredibly fast) has some mesh display problems if you try using watcher/whistler meshes for them (halos round them :roll: )
              [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

After fiddling around in the actor list for a while i found a TSentry, the supposedly should fire on targets found by a TWatcher... But it was awfully idle when i tried it out....
                I put it on Verbose mode and the only message it came out with was "Restartplayer()"... and that was when the game started.

Im still wondering wheter this bot is still "Work in process" or not.

Comment

TSentry seems to function quite well. Youuu are also able to select which weapon to fire. Have several in a map I am working. As I have no skill in meshing, I made them them hidden ingame and created another object from which the arrows fire. Just wish I knew how to change their names-The seem to be permannetly set as TSentryXX.
                  Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                  Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

your way is probably a better way to avoid the meshing problems-so i'll use it
                    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Ah... Got it working... After i gave it a projectile
                      Strange it didn't spit out anything in verbose mode just because it didn't have a projectile doh...

Comment

Okay, now i got these turrets of death working, they will fire at a thief when the watcher sees him, and keep firing at his last know position....
                        But... after the watcher have spotted the thief for the first time these sentry turrets gets sight... forever, meaning that even if you disable the watcher and try to run by the turrets will still spot you. But swallow an invis potion and you can run past them...

This needs fix0r. The turrets should become idle untill the watcher spots the thief again.

Comment

The TSentries are autonomous AI with properties similar to AI Guards. Not sure how you connected the TSentries to the watcher, but I would not expect using the TAG/EVENT fields to have any effect. I suspect what are currently witnessing is the TSentries responding to the watchers alarm just like a typical AI guard. A way to check this would be deactivate/remove the watcher in UED and see how the TSentries respond to a visible thief near and in front of them in game. If they try to kill you, that should validate this explantion.

Have some suggestions though (I have not tried them, but may help you find a solution):

1) The watcher triggers some mover or texture in such a way that when it is alerted, the TSentries are able to see the thief, but when the watcher is not alerted, the TSentries cannot see a thing.

2) As I recall (Will have to check UED later) there is parameter in the TSentry Actor that sets the actors state as either enabled or disabled. Maybe a script could be used to tie this with the Watchers alarm?

3) As I recall, there is a parameter that sets how long the TSentries remain alert. Maybe reducing that to zero might help? The idea being they are alerted by the watcher going off, but as soon as the watcher no longer is alerted, the TSentries lose interest as soon as a thief is no longer in view.

Hope this was helpful.
                          Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                          Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Thx, but i tried most of it already.
                            The Tsentry is in fact connected to the watcher with a Event/Tag, this can be found in the comment field of the Tsentry's script.
                            The sentries wont fire till the alarm is set of the first time.
                            Turning it off could be a very good option but... How do you do it? Filling in the event/tag field wont do it.

Also, i reduced the decreasealertnessrate, so they will stop firing a few rounds after they lost sight.

Comment

Okay.... turns out they are always active and can see you when you come close... even if the watcher is looking the other way, and then sentry is turned off...

This is a standard ai, but it's suppose to be both blind and deaf.

Comment

Working...
                              X