Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning to map! I will post any questions I have here, ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to map! I will post any questions I have here, ok?

Alright...i'm finally going to take up mapping, and I'm sure to have many questions. Ill post them all in this single thread.

I am NOT working on a thievery map, but just a regular UT map for now to get the hang of it. So far it seems a bit easier than the thief editor (what I remember of it).

Ok, I have followed the DM-Quadratic tutorial at Wiki. It stops at playerstarts halfway through it. But hey, I'm a smart guy and I figured that out...actually, I looked it up.

Anyway, my first question is:

When I place pathnodes, how will the AI follow them?

AND: If I have a long corridor, with no way out but the 2 rooms at each end, should I put several pathnodes in the corridor, or just one at each end?

Thanks in advance, and if you see me respond to this again, it probably means more questions so check back!
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

I think if pathnodes are more than 300 UU apart, AI will ignore them. TheiveryAI might be modified though, after all they go through doors 64 wide, which UT bots generally don't like.

Comment

Hmm. I made lights, and settings for the lights, but my map is dark.

The light textures themselves are "Special Lit" and I can see those, but nothing else is lit up. Must I make everything special lit?
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Lights with Special Lit set to true will only illuminate surfaces with Special lit set to true, and vice versa. I usually just use more light actors if I need to use special lit.

Comment

If you make UED Show the path grid, you are able to tell if there's a connection between 2 pathnodes.
          If there's a line between it's good, if there isn't add more between or move them around a bit.
          There.
          And the ai's will follow this line, going straight from a to b.

Comment

The path lines will be blue or red, and a bot will pick a blue over a red whenever possible. It's not such a worry in Thievery, because it uses much smallers doors etc than standard UT - red lines are quite normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir
              Lights with Special Lit set to true will only illuminate surfaces with Special lit set to true, and vice versa. I usually just use more light actors if I need to use special lit.

OK, I have my light in the corner of a room. There are 2 light actors. Other than the surface that is set to "special lit" Everything is BLACK (when I fire a weapon, the light from the weapon will light up the textures, so I know they are there lol).

Just add more light actors, or what?
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Build lightning in map, and set the 3d view to display lightning.
                No need to start the map to check it, and then you can fool around till it works.
                As long as you dont change textures or brushes you wont have to build lightning to see the changes.
                Like, if you change the color, radius, brightness, light type etc. you will see it right away.
                Dont forget to build lightning before you tho!

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                  Like, if you change the color, radius, brightness, light type etc. you will see it right away.
                  I've found that even though it does show a preview of what is should look like, if you build the lighting again, it will probably turn out differently.
                  It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

I am clicking on the stairs brush, and its making stairs, BUT, they only face one direction. I can move it up and down and side to side, but I haven't figured out how to SPIN it. What button does that?

Thanks for the responses, its helping out.
                    www.usyetzer.com

Comment

The... rotate button...
                      The one with a cube in the middle, and four arrows going around it.

Comment

My fingers itch for CTRL-RightMouse... Could be ALT-RightMouse too.

And I recall that each 2D window rotates the brush in different direction.
                        Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

in 2d view it's ctrl-rghtmouse.

BTW, I myself have a question, but it has to do with genprotection fault errors. an I post that here? Or is there another old thread I have to dig up?
                          word.

Comment

While making a thievery map, I try to save and it won't let me...!!! Says I have to choose another URL to save to...
                            www.usyetzer.com

Comment

OK, whatever it was, I can save now...

What does this mean?

How to set up your objectives:

Make sure the following .u files are loaded:
                              ThieveryLowLevel.u
                              ThieveryObjectives.u
                              ThieveryMod.u
                              ThieveryAI.u

How do I make sure they are loaded?