Door rotation defects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door rotation defects

For some reason, whenever I builld a door, it changes size when I frob it. For example, I have a door that is 10 UUs wide. When frobbed, it rotates like I want it to, but ends up being 7 or 5 UUs wide. Not a big problem, but causes some problems wiht door handles: they don't change with the door, so I end up having a floating doorknob about a foot or two away from the door after rotation.

HELP!
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

You have resized your builder brush using the scaling tool... this cause it to change size in the different directions, regardles of how you turn the brush.

So, reset-> scaling.
    Or just reset-> all.
    Then the brush will be fixed.

In general, never use scaling unless you have to resize a special brush.
    Just edit the size in the existing brush so it fits.

Comment

Umm.. actually I resized it using hte resize brush tool.
      However, I will see if your idea works.
      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Whatever... that's what i meant.

Comment

WEll, It worked, but I need to have the door larger.

I've made the rotation unnoticable: the door handle won't move completely off the door now, so it's not noticable unless you really look at it, but i really need to be able to resize the damn thing.

Comment

The best way would be to just make a new door with the correct values :|

Using the brush resize tool tends to mess everything up, I wouldn't reccomend using it...
            It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Just make a new brush that's 128x64x4, smack on a texture and fit it.
              Intersect the door brush, and add it as a mover. there.

Comment

Intersect the door brush?.. explain, please.

This may be why the doors have a screwed up encrach area.

Comment

Create your door first by adding it somewhere in an empty place on your map. Then slap on textures. (This is the 'door template', not the actual door) Then once you've got the textures the way you want get the red builder brush and fully surround the door without touching it to anything else on your map thats close by, just the door, and it gotta be inside the RRB. Then look to your left on Ued2 below the add button there is an 'Intersect button'. You'll notice that the red brush 'wraps' itself around the door you had made when you prees that. Then right click the red builder (without moving it away) and select 'polygons to brush'. Then move the red builder to where you want your door to be placed. Make sure you've set up the correct 'corner' of your door on the RBB as the 'rotating pivot'. Then look on the left menu again and right click 'mover brush button'. You'll see 'TH-Door' - click it...and voila! A thievery door, which is what you want - not a UT door. You can then place your door knobs correctly.
                  ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

A note to that: don't use a scaled builder brush to intersect. To get rid of the scaling problem you're having, right click on the brush and select transform permanently.

AFAIK, scaling info for a brush is fixed to the x y and z axes, and doesn't adapt accordingly when a brush is rotated: hence, if a brush is scaled up to 1.5 on the x axis then turned 90°, the shape will be realigned, but the scaling will still be along the x axis. A good way to see / play with this it to try it on a rotated sprial stair primitive.

Two very important parts of the (right click) context menu for a brush are "reset >" and "transform >" on reset you'll find move to origin, reset pivot, scale, rotation, and reset all (which moves the brush to the origin too).

If you don't know already, the origin point is very important: it's denoted by the intersection of the three darkest lines on your top, front, and side views (The further away from the origin geometry is, the more prone it will be to BSP errors, so balance your maps around the origin point).

Transform contains mirrors around all three axes (which are performed relative to the pivot of the brush) and also (most importantly) Transform Permanently. When a brush is permanently transformed, it's current state becomes its new initial state: all subsequent resets will be done according to that state of scale, rotation, and pivot. Texture alignment will most times be messed up by a permanent transform, but it will solve the scaling issue in any circumstances (in a crowded map, I find it especially annoying and laborious to drag a brush into space or a new subtraction to intersect).

The pivot of a brush can simply be the initial red dot or any vertex. You can also put it anywhere at all by making sure the initial pivot (red dot) is selected then holding alt + left button to move it. This last pivot movement can only be used for basic movement and rotation, not transforms: right clicking resets it.

With all this, you should be able to make perfect TH-Doors

Comment

Hmm.. yes..
                      I have downloaded some extra buttons to Ued of of FileFront. One of them is a button that automatically forms teh builder brush to an exact duplicate of the selected brush: from the sizes, textures, and location "basically, it fits like a glove).

Would this work for the intersect?

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                        Hmm.. yes..
                        I have downloaded some extra buttons to Ued of of FileFront. One of them is a button that automatically forms teh builder brush to an exact duplicate of the selected brush: from the sizes, textures, and location "basically, it fits like a glove).
                        Last time I checked, that function is in the right-click menu for any standard brush.

("To Brush" in the "Brush" submenu)

Comment

Ok. i tried it, but something's wrong:

Whenever I approach the door, I suddenly crouch about 10 feet away, and do so until i leave the way i came.

For clarification, i mean that I apprach the door, and suddenly my eye level drops about 3 feet. almost as if I was crawling.

SEcond, I can walk through the door.

Third, The door will not move, so i don't know if the rotation works or not.

Is there anyone that knows what i've done wrong?

Comment

Also , remember that the door knob is bugged when the said door has a pitch rotation... that's why you won't find any attached knob on the ceiling traps and the like. I tried to do it , and the knob refuses to rotate vertically.

Comment

Nono, this is a normal door

unfortunately, its big, about another 1/2 agan the height and 2 times the widthofa normal door, so i can't copy and paste. Also, See the above problem: i really need help

Comment

Working...
                              X