Possessable Watchers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possessable Watchers!

I just scripted Possessable Watchers. I was wondering if someone would be willing to host a little example map showing them off, so that interested parties could have a look.

Features:-

Can be linked to any usually trigger object, such as a ThPushButton.
    Controlling player can rotate the watcher around and see through it (like a scouting orb), but can't look up and down.
    Anything that disables the watcher kicks the player out.
    Anything that damages the player unpossesses the watcher.
    Player cannot move while possessing the watcher, and left-clicking breaks the possession.
    When a watcher is possessed it flickers orange.
    Possessed watchers do not go into alert/tracking/alarmed mode.

Future features:-

If the player is ejected from the watcher by it being disabled, then they will be temporarily blinded.
    Left clicking will cause the watcher to raise the alarm (if the watcher is attached to one).[/list]
    Immortius' Forge

Oh, oh

This, I like

I can't make any promises, but I'll run through some ideas for a very small demo map this week.

Comment

This is a neat idea, and it seems like you've carefully considered balance in implementing it. There are advantages and drawbacks to it, and it's counterable. Very nice. I'm curious, though, how does one "take possession" of a watcher, and from where can one do it? If you have to be standing right next to it, it's obviously not very useful. Also, when you're possessing it and changing its facing, does the mesh of the watcher itself rotate in accordance with which direction you're looking through it?

I think it would be best suited for use in specific maps, though, rather than as an add-on for existing maps.

Comment

You took control by trigger an event. Could be done anyway you like, flicking a lever, hitting a button, walking into an area etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
          You took control by trigger an event. Could be done anyway you like, flicking a lever, hitting a button, walking into an area etc.
          So you can't take possession of any watcher from anywhere on the map? That's probably a good idea for balance. It also sets up the idea of something like a "security control room" - a room with, say, a variety of switches, each of which allows youto take possession of a watcher in the map.

*ideas flowing*

Perhaps gaining access to such a room could be a minor objective in a map. It could be a locked room, with the guard inside safe, until the thieves manage to break in. Then they can take out the security cam guard, making it easier to complete the rest of the map. Might be interesting to play the guard in that room, just checking from watcher to watcher, and relaying thief locations to other guards.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Skillz.

Comment

Ok, I've finished the watcher scripts. I even went so far as to make a little custom version of Aquatone where you can take control of watchers from the two unused levers in the APO (next to the lock-down lever). I also implemented the extra stuff - being forced to unpossess the watcher by a thief watering or flashbombing the watcher flashes the player, and the fire button causes the watcher in front of the directors bedroom to open the turret's door (although this isn't particularily useful).
                Immortius' Forge

Comment

D'oh. I thought you'd asked for someone to make a map. I can use my Shadow Guild FTP to host if you like.

Comment

That would be good, thanks.
                    Immortius' Forge

Comment

Excellent work

Oh, and I'd like a look at the code and see if I can make it a mutator - if you don't mind, ofcourse.
                      ]V[]V[

Comment

Now, what if a Thief frobs the switch/button/whatever?? Is it possible for them to take control of the watcher??
                        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
                          Now, what if a Thief frobs the switch/button/whatever?? Is it possible for them to take control of the watcher??
                          The levers has hopefully been made guard frobable only.

Comment

How about adding a cross bow to the watcher?

A remote controlled cross-bow.

The only constant is change.
                            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Sounds sweet. JIC you don't have this covered, if the watcher is damaged or destroyed (only possible by unlucky guards right now) what happens?

Kiech
                              www.thecrackaz.com
                              Kiech

Comment

Working...
                              X