Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decoration Actors as Solid/Semi-solid Brushes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoration Actors as Solid/Semi-solid Brushes?

So I was browsing through a couple of the default maps, namely Th-Khorman, and I saw that some things such as four-poster beds and other furniture that I first thought were just Decoration actors are actually solid or semi-solid brushes.
    Is there a performance/gameplay reason for this? If so, how do I go about having nice solid/semi-solid brushes in the shapes of four-poster beds and bedside tables without having to spend hours and hours building them from the ground up?

Somewhere in the mapping section of the thievery site, there is a link to a prefab pack. Download this, extract it somewhere, and open the desired brush using UEd's import brush option.
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Many thanks.

Comment

The reason for this is mainly a matter of accurate collision. If you use meshes your stuck with a cylinder, which is not terribly realistic. If your every playing one of the TUT maps and find yourself sliding around a bed or something (this is particularily prominent in Kings of the Desert), this is because the mapper used meshes. Using solid brushes on the other hand gives you accurate collision but more bsp nodes. Using semi-solid brushes gives the same accuracy of collision with less bsp nodes, but should not be used for brushes spanning multiple zones, and is slightly dangerous for players with a potential cratering effect (or so I've heard).
        Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
          Somewhere in the mapping section of the thievery site, there is a link to a prefab pack. Download this, extract it somewhere, and open the desired brush using UEd's import brush option.
          I've a problem here. How do I rotate them properly?
          I know CTRL+LMB+left/right or CTRL+RMB+left/right rotates them but only in one plain.
          If I make custom brushes with the 2D shape editor I can rotate them in there(1 hit at the 90degree button for an arch-hallway for example).
          AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
          Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
          Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

Yeah, it should rotate the way you want if you hold down CTRL + *both* mouse buttons, instead of just one of them...
            It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

thx for the reply
              :cry: That doesn't work for me, then. (God knows why)
              Do you know of any other way doing it?

EDIT: Nevermind. It was only that you have to go up or down with the mouse when using the both buttons turning. One question solved thanks to you!
              AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
              Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
              Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

Mesh decoration combined with simple invisible bsp brush for collision sometimes works good. You could also try using dummy non-movable movers for that, if static bsp causes some probs.

Comment

Working...
                X