The frustration with UED2 education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The frustration with UED2 education

having already made a thread on the topic, this may seem redundant, but i will ask anyway.

what is the tutorial for UED2?

BBDrac seems to be good, although it is extremely tedious, there are hundreds of files and pictures to sort through manually and decipher.

architectonic and 3Dbuzz are awesome! but theyre for UED3.

various others? scattered, or theyre also for UED3.

so...

what i need is a solid start on TUT mapping for someone who has zero experience with programming, skinning, scripting, mapping, editing, and in general knowing things about computers. i just want to map. i dont have a lot of peripherals (scanner, Photoshop) or ways of making my own meshes and textures, either. i just want to use what i already have on my hard drive and make levels out of it.

anyone?
    "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

i started mapping back in those days when i had no internet...learned from articles in Gaming Magazines...if u got that "add and subtract"-stuff, its not that difficult anymore

what im using mostly now is http://unrealed.planet-multiplayer.de/ , but thats a german site, so it may not be very helpful for you...other one is Unrealwiki but thats more detailed info...

Silent_night posted some links in the "door rotation defects"-Thread, u should try those

And finally, u shouldnt be afraid to post any further questions here i think - great ppl which know what theyre talking about

(exluding me )

btw u dont necessarily need to make ur own meshes and textures to make good maps..TUT-Ued offers all u want
    My leet Thievery Map
    My leet UT3 Map
    My leet AS Map

Comment

i'd like the same, but what restricts me from mapping is that i'm stupid. i sorta made a thievery map, it was just a big cube connected to another cube thru a door but i could never get the door to open and when i tried a button with a mover attached to use to open the door it fell off the wall :lol:
      This is my cool sig.

Comment

Originally posted by [bulletproof
        ]
        what i need is a solid start on TUT mapping for someone who has zero experience with programming, skinning, scripting, mapping, editing, and in general knowing things about computers. i just want to map
        My advice would be to do just that: Map. Don't bother with fancy stuff like skinning and creating new textures until you've got the basics sorted. Right now I myself am just getting the bare bones of my level architecture done before moving on to stuff like moveables, pathnoding, etc. I've mastered the basic building so that sticking in rooms, buildings, buttresses and things like that are second nature. Once that's done I'm going to move on to decorating the level with Actors, then I'll do the doors, then the lighting etc.

If you try to learn everything at once then you'll just get confused (I did).

Comment

well, thanks for the advice thus far, but i was looking more for a specific tutorial...

not to be anal, but i really dont want this thread getting reincarnated. i got a lot of advice and motivation there, but what i need now is one solid tutorial. i appreciate being inundated with tips, but i really just want one good place to start. one. singular. is there such a place? please, anyone who knows (or owns a site and wishes to brag) tell me. im tired of the frustration regarding downloading videos, text files, and entire .html messes posted up on BBDrac. additionally, i would like to say that i have looked through all of the mapping links and am thoroughly discouraged. is there a UED2 tutorial site like architectoinic? i worked a little on UED3 using Architectonic, and i absolutely loved it. an orderly, quick, simple text-based set of tutorials written in plain english.

hate to be so picky, but thats where the name of this thread comes from.

i greatly hope someone knows what i mean.

regardless, thanks to all.
          "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

Nearly all the sites I learned from are gone or have drasically changed. Here are the closest things I can find:

here and here. That second section is devoted to the original Unreal and mainly deals with AI etc, but there are some basic construction tutorials too.

I don't think there is one big tutorial; you have to keep digesting things one at a time. It may seem a bit overwhelming, but keep at it and bits of knowledge will start to combine nicely.

Comment

yeah, it seems like this is the case. thats ok, ill just try and do the best i can to piece everything together. thanks for your first link for Leveldesigner, Nachimir. looking through them right now.

Comment

Try searching the Unreal Wiki , it can answer most of your mapping questions. If you need further help , you can ask the competent mappers who contributed to the Wiki.

Comment

I learned UEd using Wolf's tutorial for UEd 1. They go through basic construction, lighting, texturing and movers. I know that UEd 2 has some slight changes, but if the tutorials were labeled "UEd 2," I really don't think you could tell the difference...
                  It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

oh my god Big, that is exactly the sort of thing ive been looking for. just browsed around for a second and i can already tell you that im pleased. thanks, ill be working with this from now on. excellent references to other maps and utilities too!

Comment

Working...
                    X