Map Idea: Random thief objectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Idea: Random thief objectives

Allright, here's the latest out of V12's jar of crayzee idea's.

Thieves gripe alot about guards overtrapping/camping/guarding certain objectives, and in essence they have a point.

I mean, it's weird enough that the guards 'know' there's thieves on the prowl, but that they know exactly what or who they're coming for is a bit too awkward IMO.
    Take Gerome. Every single time that map is played, the guards run for the evidence. But what if the thieves aren't coming for the evidence at all? What if they come to assassinate gerome, or snag the loot? Or maybe even to take those fancy weapons stored in the barracks? It's a bit too late to go and change all these maps, plus it would utterly destroy the feel that they previously had... but I'm planning to create a map of my own that incorporates this feature (if possible).

Instead of placing all the objectives on the objective page, I would let the thief objective page read something like the following.

Example:
    "You've been contracted by a famous thief guild to hit the [*****]. Further objectives are placed at [*****] as a readable scroll.

Good luck
    "

Or something among those lines...

Then I would have a script randomly choose 2 objectives out of 4 total objectives and spawn the apropriate scroll. The other 2 objectives would still be spawned in the map, but they would just be unimportant to the thieves victory, if you know what I mean.

That would result in the fact that the guards (even though they know that thieves are coming) can't just sit and trap the hell out of one objective, they would have to guard at least 3 objectives to be succesfull. I have a further strategy worked out for this, so if it seems unbalanced, that's because you don't know what I'm planning (and I won't tell either!), just assume that it will work even with bad teamwork.

My final question is, to those who have experience with scripting, do you think this is possible?

Feel free to discuss possibilities for this feature. My idea could need some polishing and I could use a bit of inspiration.

That would effectively eliminate objective rushing, but there are other ways to do that. Look at Breandor or Archery for good examples of that.

A potential problem I see (assuming it's even possible) is that if that scroll always spawns in the same place, THAT'S what will be camped by guards. If the thieves don't know what they're there for, they likely can't win, or at least it puts them at a serious disadvantage. Either that or the guards will just read it themselves. In addition, it's not like the evidence objective in Gerome where it just has to be frobbed, but you have to be able to sit long enough to actually read it to find out what you're supposed to do.

If the map is built with protected spawns (that is, inaccessible to guards), and the scroll with the objective spawns there, then it seems quite workable.

Comment

I like the idea.

As for the scroll:

-Maybe more than 1?

-Putting the scroll in a protected thief spawn area seems pointless (save for ambience). If you have it such the thieves read right away, might as well include it in the objective listing once the thieves start. Trick here would be having two different listings of thieves objectives- one the guards read, and one the thieves read- so the guards are unaware of what the thieves are after.

-Objects can be made such that only thieves or only guards can read (or neither for that matter)

-Who says it is not like Gerome were you simply need to frob the ev? For gameplays sake, it could be. A thief frobs the scroll, new objective appears. Again, the trick woud be having two different listings for objectives- one for guards, and for thieves so guards do not know what the thieves are after.

Do not know how to go about doing any of this though.
      Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
      Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebos
        -Who says it is not like Gerome were you simply need to frob the ev? For gameplays sake, it could be. A thief frobs the scroll, new objective appears. Again, the trick woud be having two different listings for objectives- one for guards, and for thieves so guards do not know what the thieves are after.
        If reading the scroll actually sets the objectives in the objective list then yeah, you don't need to be able to actually take the time to read it. As suggested, though, you would, as that would be the source of the information. Having it set the objective in the list is a better idea, though, as is making that scroll unfrobbable by guards.

However, it'll still be the target of guard camping, since until that scroll is read, the objectives are unknown to the thieves. There's no way around that except by placing it in a protected area.

Comment

I figured the scroll would be put near the thieves spawn point, a place where guards can't reach (Sort of similar to th-spider). Then the thieves could also discuss strategies first without having to worry about guards... plus the guards would get a wee bit of time to come up with plans for themselves as well.

Comment

I proposed a similar idea a good while ago (while these forums were still on TTLG) in the form of "contracts" the thieves could pick and choose from.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...725#post704725 <-The relevant post...You'll need to scoll down a bit. (as for the map discussed, I still have it, but it's on "indefinite hiatus" due to my activities with Nightblade. If somebody really wants {really really seriously wants} to work on finishing it, PM me.

There may be info in the thread you could use.

Comment

Working...
            X