Climbing walls in two planes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing walls in two planes

Looking for a way to create a zone that allows players to scale wall. The ladder actor and ledges can be used, but I am looking for two axis movement while climbing a wall. There is an actor Physics setting called PHYS_SPIDER available. Based on UnrealWikki's (minimal) description, it is what I am looking for (at least partially). How do I create a zone that changes a Players physics to SPIDER when in the zone (in much the same way as entering a water zone changes Player physics to swimming)

Has this been tried before and found to have no effect? Thanks.

Unreal Wikki info:
    http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/PhysicsType
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Maybe try looking at the way it's done on the vine covered wall in TH-Theatre? There are patches of wall there that allow 2-axis movement.

Comment

A good thought, but I looked into that. Theatre uses ladder actors as I recall. Also, horizontal movement is slowed (at least for me). My map currently uses a combination of ladders and ledges on the walls. The effect is close, just lacks the degree of freedom I seek. Then there is the issue where some of the walls have narrow paths to them. Putting ladder actors there is not good as it slows down player movement. I have a way around it, but removes some player movement that I would prefer not have limited.
      Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
      Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

How bout using a small Zone with altered gravity?
        My leet Thievery Map
        My leet UT3 Map
        My leet AS Map

Comment

look at TH-soulsharbour, there is a climable wall outside near well

Comment

Another good thought, but for what I am trying to do, did not work to well. Dual gravity vectors move you to a corner when you jump, and applying a horizontal had some rather annoying effects. Example: jumps suddely become really high followed by rather quick and painful introduction to the ground as you re-entered vertical gravity. Actually, that might have uses elsewhere, but in my situation can have nasty, unintuituve consequences. Might be other ways to configure the gravity, I just do not know them.

Comment

Maybe you could have a zone (or actor) which would set PHYS_Flying while the player is in contact with it?

Comment

Actually, I would like to create a zone that changes physics to PHY_Spider, just do not know how to do this. Have not been successful with the Zone Properties "change Physics" flag- seems to have no effect- probably missed a key setting though.

Comment

I couldn't find that "Change physics" default prop in ZoneInfo, but this should do the trick:

[code:1:50439f0dae]//================================================== ===========================
                  // ChangePhysZone.
                  //================================================== ===========================
                  class ChangePhysZone expands ZoneInfo;

var() EPhysics SetPhysics, ResetPhysics;

event ActorEntered( actor Other )
                  {
                  if (Other.Physics != SetPhysics)
                  Other.SetPhysics( SetPhysics );

Super.ActorEntered( Other );
                  }

event ActorLeaving( actor Other )
                  {
                  if (Other.Physics != ResetPhysics)
                  Other.SetPhysics( ResetPhysics );

Super.ActorLeaving( Other );
                  }[/code:1:50439f0dae]

DefaultProperties > ChangePhysZone > ResetPhysics should be set to PHYS_Falling, and in your case, SetPhysics should be PHYS_Spider.

Now the only problem is, the physics are only changed upon entry and exit of the zone. We could remedy this by doing a constant check on physics:

[code:1:50439f0dae]//================================================== ===========================
                  // ReplacePhysZone.
                  //================================================== ===========================
                  class ReplacePhysZone expands ZoneInfo;

var() EPhysics ReplaceFrom, ReplaceTo;

function Tick( float DeltaTime )
                  {
                  local Actor A;

ForEach ZoneActors( class'Actor', A )
                  {
                  if (A.Physics == ReplaceFrom)
                  A.SetPhysics( ReplaceTo );
                  }
                  }

event ActorLeaving( actor Other )
                  {
                  Other.SetPhysics( PHYS_Falling );
                  Super.ActorLeaving( Other );
                  }[/code:1:50439f0dae]

In your case, ReplaceFrom should be PHYS_Walking, and ReplaceTo should be PHYS_Spider.
                  ]V[]V[

Comment

Working...
                  X