choice of objectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choice of objectives

Similar to Virus' Random objectives, and done for basically the same reason.The idea is simply not constrain theives to one set of objectives, but give them a choice. For example:

Objectives:
    1) Get the two objects
    -or-
    2) Get X loot and one object
    -or-
    3) Get X + Y loot

The idea here is to give thieves a choice in what they have to do. Of course, the map design should make achieving each one equally hard. It would force gaurds to be more imaginative in their guarding though.

This something I would like to incorporate in a map I am working, just not sure how to do it. I suspect it may be possible now, but really have not looked into it. Thoughts on how to go about this?
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

I understand it can be done using triggers. You'd have to set it up so that the objective screen said do X OR do Y and you'd complete the objective for both once you'd done one, if you get what I mean
    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -
    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Just make it like this.

Either:

- Get 100 loot and ruby

- Get both rubies

- Get 500 loot

- Get the necessary objects ***

*** being the only necessary objective, others being optional.

Or, just have it so there's only one actually objective check box, which explains how to do it.
      The only constant is change.
      (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Thats a good idea, CD.

What about that idea and optional ones.... like a bonus objective such as;

-Kill sheriff guy (y'know like a assasian objective - this gould be a guard a player can inhabit?)

-steal a certain weapon

-take out 3 guards

These kind of obejctive could be like, completley optional.... so different players.. with different playing styles would have a bit of fun doing those.
        -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
        - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
        - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
        -YT

Comment

I actually like the idea about you having to assasinate an actual PLAYER. This would be different from killing, say, a defenseless AI like Rosenberg. This player could start out with bolts only, no other supplies, and would have a very low health max. That way, they wouldn't be hard to kill, but the human guards could strategically defend and get him out of danger, ect.

Could turn out to be unbalanced, but I still like the idea. Could be VERY intense if you were that guard.

Comment

of course you can call Nostalgia up to a point random.

Get 1500 loot.

or

Get Lyre & 500 loot

[E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

lol at Chief's idea... but I think Dragon's would be pretty cool (though I as that guard would prefer a melee weapon cause it's usually the only thing that I can get to hit a taffer... unless its firebolts )

Comment

I wonder.....

if you set an objective tag to kill an ai, so that the objective is completed once he's dead, what would happen in you set that bot's inhabitability stats up high enoug that it's top priority. then you get a thievery manhunt, or is it scripted that humans have no tags? ( i mean event tags BTW)

I'll have ot try that out, maybe at my next lan party in about..a month or so.
                "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Zidane
                  but I think Dragon's would be pretty cool
                  Erm.... Zidane.... I posted it first, not Dragon.....not that I want all the credit, but y'know
                  -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                  - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                  - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                  -YT

Comment

Yeah, it was Fix's idea, I was just expanding on it. I think it's pretty cool too. Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                      I wonder.....

if you set an objective tag to kill an ai, so that the objective is completed once he's dead, what would happen in you set that bot's inhabitability stats up high enoug that it's top priority. then you get a thievery manhunt, or is it scripted that humans have no tags? ( i mean event tags BTW)

hell yes the lan party kicked ass we must do it again sometime.
                      The Guard "eats, drinks, and sleeps"

Likita: lol, can't.. must..stay..awake.............

It's TACO TIME!

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                        I wonder.....

Probably doesn't work in TUT. Works in Nightblade though.
                        Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff
                          hell yes the lan party kicked ass we must do it again sometime.
                          Yeah.. the next one is during thanksgiving vacation, dude.

don't say i didn't warn yeh.
                          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Not that it isn't a good idea, but random choosable objectives would mean HELL in normal public games, one thief will be going for ine set and another thief will be going for another. What if both thieves complete their set of objectives? Or what if everyone is going for different kinds of hard to get objectives totally destroying their chance of winning because of the lack of teamwork?

Also, if one set of objectives is particulairly easy to grab, the thieves would be silly not to go for those objectives EVERYTIME they play the map, thus destroying the whole concept of multiple choosable objectives. It would need mad balancing.

Comment

Maybe- but I see it more as map specific, and objectives/loot would be placed in such a way as to make it equally difficult save whatever human guards do. It is incorporated into the map design, and balanced that way. The main function is to allow an objective be in a bottleneck, yet force the guards do to something besides camp that objective. This is only one way as there quite a few others. Would not suggest this for the map, but can imagine how Gerome would change if you had a choice of the current objectives, or getting almost all the loot?

The basic premise is the objectives overlap, so they could potentially all be met. It would require more coordination on both teams, but I do not see that as necessarily bad (frustrating when people are new to the map yes, but not bad). As the map I would use it in is an official map I am using to learn mapping, it probably would not be seen much anyway (know design flaws to begin with).
                              Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                              Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Working...
                              X