Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do your part to help a NooB mapper (ie me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do your part to help a NooB mapper (ie me)

Hellos to everyone

So i've recently decided to try and learn mapping for theivery and i am in need of help.
    but rather that bug you with every problem i have could you possabily point me in the direction of a good tutorial, the one provided at this site isn't comprehesive enough for me. I need an idiots guide to theivery mapping.

If there isn't another tut available then this is my current problem.....
    I have theif objectives set-up on my map (as explained by the tutorial)
    I have Theiveryplayerspawn points (as described in tut)
    I have Theiverydeathmatchplus (not described but lets me test the map)
    now, when i enter the game (theives VS guards) i can-not spawn as theives and im given the end-of-round screen. also i am the rat and able to move around.
    My guess is that somthing is wrong with my objectives and the game thinks the guards/theives have imedietly won/lost
    anyway thats my current prob...any help would be greatly appreciated

ok- there are a few things that u might have done here is the most obvious.

You didn't build your map then test it (u will know this happened cos when game finishes u will see a rat on ur screen)

There are more but I doubt very much it's the objectives- try number one and I think you'll find it works after (its a common mistake that u forget occasionally that after a build u add something then try to test)
    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

How familar are you with UED2? The Thievery documentation explains Thievery specific information only, not UED2 basics.
      Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
      Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

thanx for the help but that wasn't the problem

I double checked that i had built the level, that wasn't it.

I also checked out a few UE2 tuts and i couldn't see the answer to my problem there.

What exactly happens is the game loads (in game type theives VS guards) then i am given the 'join team' screen.
        This lasts about half a second before going to the 'precaching' screen.
        Then im back in the level with the end of round screen.
        I have spawned as a theif (as it is showing the theives lives/players, one theif player and 3 lives left (from4))
        but i am not a theif i am the rat, i am able to move around and my veiw of the rat is externial.
        Score is still being counted, however after about 15 seconds the round ends.

on another note the rat model looks really funny from 3rd person, it even wags its tail as it walks

Comment

ok..... I have suffered from a problem similar to this but when it happened it was ghost cam and lasted entire round.

If you think its the objectivehelpers delete them and build and see if that fixes it. If it does you were right.

Also there's a little button (looks like binochulars) which shows every item on the map. Scroll through this and see if there are any items on your map which you dont remember making, eg. view camera, UT or Unreal players, Unreal monsters. Things like that,all these can make ur map seem like it's gone weird.

I also take it u have some guards on ur map?

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

I deleated the objective helpers, that wasn't it
            I also added a few more AI, They show up in the select team screen (the one that lasts half a second) so i know that they are there (using the tknight and tswordsman).
            I had a look for unusal item... i found a few camera item that were invisable and i was unable to delete, could they be causing the problem?
            or mayb im missing somthing, what are the bare essential actors to have a playable theivery level?

thanx again for your help

Comment

The bare essentials?

A room.
              A playerstart (not a ThPlayerStart or anything spiffy).
              Immortius' Forge

Comment

yes camera items do cause map bugs (or they do on mine :x ) I thought my map had corrupted but it was cameras causing it.

Maybe you could ask a mapper to look at the map- because it could be so many things that it's quite hard to suggest a fix without seeing the map in ued.

But other than that you could try the basic room and playerstart and if that works you know it isn't your ued

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

The camera is usually the "you're looking in the map 3D view from this point" actor. notice that when you movein the 3D window, it'll move in the 2D windows.

Try just rebuilding hte geometry, not a build-all. Try using playerstart actors and not thiefspawn actors before you really try to get fancy. if you still canb't join, i'll look through my 31 pages of bugfixes that i typed up

If you don't know what i'm talking about, feel free to ask any questions. I won't post a link to a help site, sice i hate reading that stuff.
                  "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by [E.D.G
                    Chief]yes camera items do cause map bugs (or they do on mine :x ) I thought my map had corrupted but it was cameras causing it.
                    What are these camera items? Do they go by other names? I have not heard of them before. What kind of problems are associated with them?

Thanks.
                    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

I havn't a clue what they are for. The just one day appeared on my map (keep when I was making it) and it caused map to no longer run. Sometimes u could play map multiplayer but not singleplayer other times vice versa. I havn't seen any for months so can't remember the name but if you have them you will know 'cos you will have about 50 or more invisible on ur map (both in 2d and 3d). You can only see they're there via search. All I can remember is they have camera in their name 8)

Rad is thinking of a different thing (which doesn't muck up ur map )

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Well i deleated my map and started a new one, this time i only included what was absolutly necceceray (player start) and it all works fine. Scince then ive added AI, lighting, doors (all things that the other map had) and still no problems. I don't know what the problem was but its all working nicley now and i can get back to learning how to map

Comment

:lol: well I think we were trying to avoid the method that always works (delete and start again) :grin:

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

You need to add normal playerstart actors. The thieveryspawn is for thiefmatch, I think.
                            JM

Comment

Originally posted by [E.D.G
                              Chief]:lol: well I think we were trying to avoid the method that always works (delete and start again) :grin:
                              hahaha, well it wasn't a major loss, it was only a simple-map-to-see-if-i-can-do-it
                              im starting an actual, decent (hopfully) map now

Comment

Working...
                              X