• Show
Clear All

• Radamanthus
    replied
    that is useful.

Leave a comment:

• Schleicher
    replied
    id never use scaling (besides for stuff u stole from other maps ). The possibility for getting a "not-on-grid" brush (meaning Ued-Goblin gets angry) is too high. Just think of the grid size of a normal player (64x64, minimal 48x48, 128 high) to judge how big or small stuff should be.

PS : a normal door would be 8 breadth, 64 wide and 128 high ; a small window 32,64 ; a standard house wall 16 breadth ; stairs 8 high and 8 breadth ; a normal room would be something around 192 - 256 high ; for a window (for example) 32 is knee-high, 64 would be comfortable view height and around 80 would be at head height ; 256 would be easy to jump over

some values to go along with :wink:

Leave a comment:

• Radamanthus
    replied
    Though BSP can be a real pain in the arse, it generally won't be a problem if you scale brushes that you didn't already have in the level.

Leave a comment:

• BiG_D
    replied
    Scaling the brush is probably not a good idea. I would think you could run into some BSP problems similar to the door's, plus some texture problems are sure to come up. It is a much better practice to actually type in values in the brush builder window (keep the values on grid, or UED gets angry, much like when you scale brushes 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256...) Once you get the hang of it, using values is way easier, more precise, and less problematic (as far as UED goes, anyway :lol: )

Leave a comment:

• Bane
    replied
    Problem solved, thanks guys. The reason is that i was scaling my brush. So deleate and rebuild without scaling, no problems at all (inluding the non-solid problem)
    I've also managed to get the crypt lid working (thanks to moving the pivot and including more keynums).
    However the problems with scaling has raised a concern, I build my entire level (From large rooms to small details) by scaling my brush. No problems now but is it going to cause me issues later on?. I sure hope not

thanks again guys

Leave a comment:

• Radamanthus
    replied
    I had a similar problem, because when i was REALLY a noob mapper, i copied doors from other levels to figure out how they work. you didn't do that, did you?

If that's the case, start over with your movers

Leave a comment:

• BiG_D
    replied
    Another note about rotating the lid: you may have to hold down both mouse buttons while using the rotate tool. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to figure that out...

Leave a comment:

• Thebos
    replied
    Not sure what the problems is with the doors, But somd additional thought:
    1) BSP error perhaps? Is the dorr interfering with another brush? is there a zone portal nearby?
    2) When you say non-solid, do you mean you walk thru them, or that Brush property itself is neither solid not semisolid, but non-solid (this can be two different things)

Concerning the crypt slabs:
    3) Yes, it can be done. It actually is no more difficult then a normal door. I have done this before, and have seen otheres do it.
    4) You probably need more then 2 key frame positions though. The default number of key frames is 2. This property is set in Mover->NumKeys. This is not to be confused with Mover->KeyNum (which is the keyframe currently in use). Of course, you have to set each key manually.
    5) Another thing to watch for is the pivot of the brush. Assuming you create the door buider brush by intersection, make sure the pivot is where you want it to begin with. It can be changed afterwards, but it is best to to get it right the first time.
    6) You can move keyframes any way you like-just like any other brush, using the same movement technique. It is best to keep things on the grid though-safer. IF you are not sure how to move and oreint brushes, that can be addressed to if you want.

Leave a comment:

• Microwave Oven
    replied
    For the first question, I'd hazard the guess that your builder brush was scaled. Reset the scale by right-clicking and clicking reset scale. Scaled brushes do weird things.

As for the crypt cover, you should use 3 keyframes instead the standard 2. That will do what you need.

Leave a comment:

• Schleicher
    replied
    Check the original brushes from which u intersected the movers - the movers properties get copied over from them. Delete the movers which have those problems and intersect new ones from the original - if they seem ok. Else id say delete the original and the screwed movers and start all over. I didnt quite understand the second question ( me nix english ^^) so i cant say anything bout that, sry

Leave a comment:

• Bane
    started a topic TH-doors causing strange problems

TH-doors causing strange problems

'lo all
    well my map (an excavated castle) is moving along nicly, however i am having a problem with doors. I already ran a search and didn't find anything on this.....
    My doors work fine, they move when frobed and move back, however....
    1) they are non-solid, even with the options in ->propetiies->collision set to true
    2) They cause strange 'zones' around them, approach from one angle and the player is blocked by an invisable force. approach from another angle and the player ends up halfway though the ground. still able to move around fully and he regains his proper position only when he moves away from the mover.

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this?

One more very noob question about rotation, this isn't covered in any UED tut. I have some crypts with large stone slabs over them. I would like them to move when frobbed off the cript to lean agaisnt it at an angle. However UED dosn't seam to like this kind of rotation.

IE
    _
    [ ] to become [ ]\

is this type of rotation possible?

thanx in advance for any help
Working...
X