Revisiting an old concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting an old concept

A while ago we were talking about a train level. The idea was generally disliked, because of the obvious bottlenecks a train would have. Well, I spent a little time thinking about this, and have come up with some sketches (which I will upload sometime this week). It is a HUGE train, approximately 4 times wider than any normal steam driven train. Complete with three boilers, a rotating dining car, and a garden. Watch out for tunnels if you're sneaking around on the roof! (I have actually got this part to work quit well)

Anyway, pretty much just looking for ideas and input before I get too far into the project.
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

A garden on a train?

Comment

In fact it will be the thieves spawnpoint... dark and lots of stuff to hide behind.

Comment

What are the objectives?

Comment

Well, I haven't put too much thought into objectives yet, that's why I'm asking for ideas . I think one of them will be to detach the caboose from the train. Another will be the normal loot one. And I'm hoping to get another idea or two here.

Comment

Wow, this would be cool.

Suggestion: A vault-waggon at the end of the train.

Comment

I find it a bit odd to have a garden on a train. But hell, have you got any screenshots of this yet?

Comment

At the moment I don't have much done but the sketches. I have an area for the train set up, and a tunnel comes past evey few minutes. I like the vault wagon idea, it would give a reason to detach the last car.

As for the garden, in Gerome there is a greenhouse type of deal in the back, I want to get something like this, but darker, and more complex.

And I've got a third rail for a small "maintenance lift" that runs along the bottom of the train and allows access to any car (gives thieves a different way around).

Also, I don't want to call it a train, because it really isn't. Any ideas??

EDIT: I kinda forgot, I need a pin that would hold the cars together, that can be frobbed to release the last car... Shouldn't be too hard to model, send me a PM if you can help

Comment

Well, I uploaded the sketches, so if you think you can deal with my handwriting, http://www.angelfire.com/games4/customofp/sketches.htm

Comment

It resembles, from your sketches and what you've said, to be some kind of complex house on wheels - maybe belonged to a lord, or a count, or something. (there clearly aren't enough "Count"s in the thief/thievery universe.)

It offers a lot of interesting possibilities to be creative with movement and architecture, just don't get lazy - it'll be quite the undertaking
                    I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

i'm planning a train map based on RE0 begining
                      http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
                      -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
                      -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
                      -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

You should just use the train levels from Bubsy. That game rocked!

Comment

n..i'm more of an RE guy...( upcoming maps maybe: Umbrella Manor, Umbrella Manor Zero, Train amp (no title yet)
                          http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
                          -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
                          -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
                          -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Thwark
                            (there clearly aren't enough "Count"s in the thief/thievery universe.)
                            Or a Barons, or Viscounts.

Comment

Well, a count sounds good... anyone wanna come up with a name??

Comment

Working...
                              X